Why speakers sound distorted at high volume

Username: Screwy

Post Number: 4
i have a question why do my speakers sound distorted and crackly when i turn my head unit to about 21 volume. help please

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 457
Are they factory speakers?

Username: Prankstar008

San Diego, CA USA

Post Number: 3
probably becasue ur head unit has an amp (ex: 52 W per channel) that is not powerful enough for your speakers (ex: 120 W per channel)...THis is not a bad thing, in fact its fairly common. The distortion sound you are hearing is your head unit's built in amp maxing out. If you want to eliminate the noise, you need to invest in a 4ch or 2ch external amp that puts out the same, or more power than your speakers are capable of putting out. All this imformation assumes that you are using the amp in your head unit and not allready using an external amp.

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 460
Yeah, and if they were using factory speakers, then it's most likely the speakers. OEM headunits put out a much lower wattage than aftermarket equipment therefore the speakers would be overpowered.

Username: Screwy

Post Number: 5
nah the rear 6'9s are pioneer but some cheap paper cone ones front the same 3'1\2

Silver Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, Florida USA

Post Number: 782
it is a bad thing that its distorting. Distorting A.K.A clipping is the easiest and fastest wa to blow your speakers

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 457
If you're running off a HU, then you definately aren't getting "52W/channel" out of it. You might be getting like 20W RMS out of a HU. Probably even less out of a stock HU.

Username: Prankstar008

San Diego, CA USA

Post Number: 9
yea jake is right....my bad...^^^ it would be between 20 and 22 W RMS....52 is peak watts per ch

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 107
Speaker distort more often due to lack of amplification, rather than over-amplification. Another reason why speakers distort, is due to its suspension limitations (how far a cone is allowed to move inward and outward, also called Xmax).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us