2001 Mustang Door and Rear Deck Speaker Install (help)

Kyle Allen
Unregistered guest
I just purchase my new mustang. I am going to put 6.5 inch Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 speakers in the front and rear deck run off a 110w rms x 4 channel amp (215w at 2 ohm). The only problem is that my doors and rear are 6x8's. I have read a few installs on the net concerning the mustang switch. I realize that I have to make spacer/adjustment plates to get the speakers to fit. My question is what do i use to make the spacers? How thick does it need to be? How do I actually mount them to the existing mounts. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 474
I've had the same problem. I unscrewed and re-used the plastic plate behind the factory speaker and just cut the screws shorter with some really strong wire clippers. You could also try finding shorter screws so you don't have to clip them...

I hope that's what you were looking for...

Kyle Allen
Unregistered guest
You said you use the existing factory spacers. If so then did you grind them out with a dremel or would they accept the 6.5 inch. Thanks,

Silver Member

Post Number: 477
My bad, I thought you were replacing them with other 6x8's. Yeah...you're going to need to order a metal plate to fit the 6.5"

Kyle Allen
Unregistered guest
Where can I order a new metal plate for them at?

Silver Member

Post Number: 489
Try checking Crutchfield and ebay.

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 125
You'll need to do some cutting to get 6.5" in there. If you don't want to do that, Crutchfield has an adapter for 5.25":

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0BAoc1XW6oh/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=103200&I=142SA68
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us