Speaker imaging

Bronze Member
Username: Littleguy

Post Number: 25
I have a question. I was at a sound comp yesterday and i noticed all the cars had speakers in there doors. They where pionting striaght at there legs, both left and right doors. Wouldn't you get better imaging pionting them to the drivers head? Or is it that they are midbass speakers and they don't need to be aimd? Anyone have input on this? Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 95
Test it for yourself.

What sounds better to you?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4012
Depends on how it's done, vehicle it's in, goals, and so forth. Most midbass drivers can play well off axis to around 2khz in a door, then they start to roll off. A high order crossover improves off axis performance. Most competitors will put drivers in kick panels aimed to provide best imaging, typically with the drivers pointed either the center of the car (like the dome light) or to the person on the opposite side. Biggest reason to use a door is to get a better speaker baffle for midbass performance.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
What do you mean by a speaker baffle jon?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Jon, i'm putting B-Quiet in my doors, thinking of putting elbows of 6" pvc in the speaker locations and putting my Utopias in them. You think they will sound ok? I got the idea from isaac:} What do you think Isaac, if your online?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4015
I meant it just makes a better enclosure. I call it a baffle because really, the space behind it is supposed to simulate an infinite baffle installation.

Sound deadening is always a good thing. As far as PVC, no problems with that either, don't know exactly how you plan to use them (as an enclosure in themselves or just as a mount), but either way, PVC has pretty good self damping, much better than metal, not as good as wood, though. You can use sound deadening to lower the resonance of the PVC, or optimally you'd use wood as the mount since it has about the best damping you're gonna get, you'd just have to size it and seal it so that it doesn't get water damage (marine grade plywood is good for that).

Bronze Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 97
Baffle:

When you place a speaker into a cutout in a door, a speaker box, rear seat dash,in-wall, ceiling, etc... the part that you mount the speaker to is called a baffle.

This is because the speaker desperation will not cancel itself out with the reverbrations coming from the back of the cone. Basicly if you have a speaker in free air, the sound will cancel and sound skinny (no bass). The sound coming from the back of the cone will clash with the sound from the front. The baffle serves to stop the cancellation and in some cases it actually provides an enclosure for the speaker.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Thanks guys.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us