Clipping Question.

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 545
What does clipping do to your speakers? Does clipping make the speakers sound muted? Would overworking your electrical system ie; giving some guy a jump with the amp on, but the head unit off, cause this problem? Also, why would my subwoofer still sound good?

Another question is what would be a reasonably priced set of components that could handle 125 watts?

As it is my stock speakers in the rear doors are supplying most of my tunes =( Would I be better of with some nice coaxials?

Silver Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 546
Anyone have expierience with the CDT EF-61 Euro Frame comp sets? They say they have a power handling of 120 watts, so would they be safe with an amp that pushes 110X2 @ 4 ohms?

Silver Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 547
Also, I listen to all sorts of music from death metal to southern rock to techno and rap. Would these comps be a good buy?

Silver Member
Username: Kklagge

Post Number: 137
I have a set of CDT CL-62's and am pushing them w/150 rms with no problems...have them xover @ 100

The EF-61's will handle all of the power you're asking about and more if your doors are deadened right.

Silver Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 548
Well I had a problem with my Perfects not being able to handle the 110w rms. Seeing as how I mostly listen to metal would the CLs be a better choice? I read on here that the EFs had a more nuetral sound that is better suited to vocal music,plus the CLs are cheaper than the EFs.

As long as they can handle the 110w continuously for fair lengths of time.

Silver Member

Post Number: 139
I listen to a lot of progressive metal (Symphony X, Dream Theater, etc.) and the CL's sound smmoth & mellow...have good midbass too.

They will handle the power fine as long as you have the doors deadened and don't have them crossed over too low.

Silver Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 551
Man I love me some DreamTheater!

How much sound deadening has to be done to the door? Also, how does this affect how many watts the comps can take?

How do you like the Mars Volta (sp?)?

Silver Member

Post Number: 140
I have 2 layers of eDead on all 4 doors (even though no speakers in rear doors) and the rear wall of my Silverado.

It made the comps sound much fuller and keeps them in a more sealed airspace...not sure how it really affects power handling (all I know is I first installed them with no sound deadening and I can certainly tell the difference afterwards).

Is Mars Volta a band?...the name sounds familiar like I've heard it on proggedradio or something.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 410
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but if you guys like those bands, check out Evergrey, DragonForce, Blind Guardian and Opeth.
Btw, how much do those sets run, and how bright are the tweeters on them? I was thinking of getting those Perfects, but I don't think I want such a harsh, bright tweeter. Something smoother and more neutral.

Silver Member

Post Number: 141
I like all those bands...not that big on Bg though...the set should run you about $200...and the tweets are nice & mellow, no harshness at all

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 415
What amp are you running kklagge? And how is it sounding for you?

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 416
Sorry to not answer your question, David.
Clipping is when your amp starts to send DC voltage to your speaker. Clipping destroys the voice coils of your speakers, which obviously makes them not work anymore.
Clipping can be caused by a multitude of different things. Incorrectly set gain, not enough power (Too small alternator, not big enough power wiring), etc.
www.bcae1.com for more details on all car audio, electricity, etc.

Silver Member

Post Number: 142
I'm running an Audiobahn A1504DP (don't even say it if you're an Audiobahn hater....their amps are very good IMO, but I wouldn't buy anything else from them)...it's a true digital 4-channel amp...one of the few multi channel amps that can pull a 1ohm load...it does 150rms @ 4ohm per channel (comps up front)...it also does 450rms @ 1ohm per channel (2 channels going to Alpine type R's under the rear seat.

To me it sounds amazing...I've owned Zapco, Alpine, Kicker & USA amps in the past and I honestly can't tell much of a difference in clarity...and the price can't be beat...got the amp for $279

Silver Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 552
I knew what clipping was I was wondering what it makes a speaker sound like.

I have an 02 Silverado ext cab how hard would it be to deaden the doors? Also how much?

Opeth is my favorite group but All That Remains runs a close second.

Silver Member

Post Number: 144
David...your Silverado is 1 year newer than mine so I'll assume the layout of the doors is the same...it's not that hard to deaden the doors...just a little time consuming to do it right (making sure there are no airspaces left...except the woofer hole of course)...I'm guessing around $40 to deaden just the front doors (assuming you're doing 2 layers and that the eDead is still about $1 per foot).

If you get clipping from the amp it will sound like a lot of distortion through the speakers

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 417
Oh I could care less what company you use, as long as you're happy with it. I wouldn't personally buy anything Audiobahn but your money isn't mine, you know?
I was actually thinking of putting money aside and getting a Tru Tech amp.

Clipping sounds like distortion, when you can actually hear it. Sometimes you won't actually hear the distortion and your amp will be clipping.

Silver Member
Username: Msully701

Stratford, Connecticut US

Post Number: 124
david im having the same problem, my infinity kappa perfect 6.1's shut off and im only putting 90 watts to them. my first problem is I need a HO alt, otherwise all my wiring is perfect, mybe thats why im having problems?

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 449
Try turning the gain on your amp down. You might be clipping the components and that's why it's turning off.

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
I have it set below 5 and 5 would be matching my HU any other suggestions?

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 378
jake your explaination of clipping is only partially correct. clipping is when the amp is sending a signal that is litterally clipped at the peaks sending more squarish waveforms to the speakers. this will ruin voice coils eventually welding them together due to the extreme heat produced by the uncontrolled movement of the magnet. the reason you will get clipping is you are pushing the amp too hard forcing it to produce too much power making the signal unstable. only two solutions you have for it is either to lower the volume or get a higher powered amp. clipping has nothing to do with the alternator or wiring, its the amp. if you starting to hear the music being distorted or it starts to sound wierd turn the volume down.

Silver Member

Post Number: 131
well, I have no distortion, its most likely protection in the crossovers on the perfect 6.1 kappas. and its not my amp, kicker kx350.2 and considering I have no HO alt or anything im running the stock alt im obviously not overpowering the amp if anything im not giving it enough, could that be the problem? and if so why is my kx1200.1 working fine?

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 452
Clipping can be caused by lack of power at your alternator. If you push your alternator too hard, your voltage will sag and it will cause your amp to clip. That's why you need to upgrade your alternator if your amps are pulling too much power. Also, if you have your gains too high, the amp will overamplify the signal and you will prematurely clip.
Chris, I didn't feel that actually into the whole waveform deal would help at all, only confuse people, so I didn't bring it up.
If you really want to get into the whole deal, go to the www.bcae1.com website and you'll get a FULL explanation.

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
thanks jake that sounds like my problem, I have been looking for one for my car for a while having lots of trouble. name the site or company ive tried them all. I think I might be able to get one though

Silver Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 582
Well my amp has a 90 amp draw. I am not really sure what the stock alt on my 02 Silverado produces but it's been more than adequate so far.

I think y'all misunderstood my original question. I know the general conc ept of clipping I was asking if I gave someone a jump, and therefore didn't the amp enough juice, would that cause clipping. Also what does it make your speakers sound like. Mine now sound quiet, almost like they're muted.

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 453
Uhhh yea it could cause clipping, but I would imagine you wouldn't have your system blaring at 100% when you were jumping someone anyway, so you should be fine even if you did jump someone.
Also, I have a little 2WD Ford Ranger, and as long as I don't jack the volume up, I'm fine.
So your full range speakers are messed up (not subs)? You may need to adjust your EQ or crossovers or something on your HU, or amp, if you're running one to your fullrange speakers. If it's not that, then they might be blown.
Clipping can sound like distortion but you can't always hear it. Sometimes you can smell clipping because it's actually burning/melting your voice coils.

Silver Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 583
Yeah I could smell something burning. Adios to those Perfect 6.1's because I have tried everything to make them sound better.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us