Are JL w0s better than Alpine Type-Rs?

sublime
Unregistered guest
Hey guys, getting a 12" sub for a civic. Shuld i go for the W0s or the type-Rs? The JL is being sold $40 higher than the type-r here at a local shop. I can only afford one sub at the moment and i need the most bang for the buck. I've heard 2 10" W3V2s before and they were excellent..but im really looking for low deep bass, the kind that shakes things without being annoying. I've got a mono kicker 400@2ohms.

Bronze Member
Username: Thenoose

Post Number: 83
omg are u kidding the 2005 type rs will smoke the jlw0s

sublime
Unregistered guest
okay..what abut the 04 type-rs?

Username: Vtecpower

Post Number: 7
I've experienced the 2004 Type Rs and 12 W0s, and the JL dropped lower and deeper but the Type R hit SOOOO much tighter and harder.

It all comes down to the power you're running - for 100-200W go JL W0, for 250-500W go Type R

Also JL works great ported or sealed whereas Type R is more suited to sealed enclosures

Silver Member
Username: Alpineuser

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 341
"Are JL w0s better than Alpine Type-Rs?"

Uh...no

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1820
Type R... espeshally the 05's.

sublime
Unregistered guest
well for some mysterious reasons the local shops here has ran out of 4ohm DVCs for the type-rs, since my amp would be putting out 200RMS @ 4ohms, would underpowering the type-rs cause damage? And how hard would they hit at that much power?

Bronze Member
Username: Steveboyalpine

Post Number: 16
i have the older type r's and they sound awesome they pound to make ur ears hurt i have two of them in my van

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 525
How many channel amp is it? Is it stable at 2 ohms?
if it is 2 channel is it stable at 2 ohms bridged?

Because if it is then you can run the DVC 4 ohm at 2 ohms and get 400 watts.

sublime
Unregistered guest
Its a mono amp, Kx400.1 400RMS@ 2ohms.
For the type-r, i cant get the DVC 4ohms, only the DVC2ohms.
Same questions, would underpowering the type-rs cause damage? And how hard would they hit at that much power?

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 307
well that would be 100 watts to each and would sevearly underpower them .. you would most likely damage them

sublime
Unregistered guest
Okay guys sorry for the confusion,

I've got a mono amp, Kx400.1 (400Watts RMS @ 2ohms)
Right now i can only afford either one 12" JL W0 or one 12" Type-R.
If i get the W0, i'd be overpowering it by 200Watts.
If i get the type-r ('04 ver.), i'd be underpowering it by 200Watts cuz i cant find a 4ohms DVC.
Oh and the JL is being sold $40 higher.

Judging from the response off of this thread, i prolly shuld go for the type-r. Im just worried about underpowering them..

Silver Member

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 342
u will not damage a speaker by underpowering it. if this was the case u would damage it every time u turned the volume down. where u will damage it is from clipping it if u turn the volume up to high. im not sure but i thought the kx was 1 ohm stable? if so u will be fine with getting the dvc 2 ohm

Silver Member

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 343
nvm the kx400.1 is only 2 ohm stable, but the 04 type r has an rms rating of 300wrms so u wont be over powering it to much so u should be fine

Silver Member
Username: Fordpwr

Los angeles, CA Usa

Post Number: 215
Yo, SUBLIME, you said your looking for low deep bass yeah ? If thats the case, the W0 will do that better than the alpine. Thay are both great, just the JL will hit lower.

Bronze Member
Username: Thenoose

Post Number: 84
alpine type r will smoke the w0 why would u tell him to get the jl

Bronze Member
Username: Steveboyalpine

Post Number: 17
hey mark 800 watts rms is running the type r's i think thats plenty

sublime
Unregistered guest
300RMS huh? man i thought they were 400RMS..heh.

I do like low deep bass, but is it worth the extra $40? I mean is there a huge difference in how low both of those subs can go?

Bronze Member
Username: Vtecpower

Post Number: 24
no, the difference isnt huge but is noticeable, esp if you port the JL.

as for overpowering the JLs by 200W... hang on, if your amp is 400W @ 2 ohms, surely it'll be 200W @ 4 ohm, which will be fine for the JL? you can turn the gain riht down in any case if you have too much power.

As for not being able to get the dual 4 Ohm type-Rs... d'oh jus get 1 off ebay.. or even better get a JL 12W3v2 ($159) - it smacks even with 200W

If I were you i'd get a type-R with this amp over a JL W0 in any case - 200RMS would power an '04 type-R adequately and 400RMS would be perfect.

But like I said try and stretch (or e-bay) to a 12W3v2 you can't go wrong.

jus me 0.02

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 560
The RMS on the older type R's is 300 and 500 for the 05's

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3164
it was 400 rms on the old ones 500 on the new ones.

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 561
http://ecoustics.pricegrabber.com/search_compare.php?topcat_id=2&page_id=331&pag e_id=331&Compare+Selected+Products.x=35&Compare+Selected+Products.y=11&masterids %5B%5D=6620348&masterids%5B%5D=6620347&masterids%5B%5D=7796913&masterids%5B%5D=5 90760&masterids%5B%5D=601937&masterids%5B%5D=591488

sublime
Unregistered guest
I got burned last time i went on ebay.. i'd like the satisfaction of walking into a store, picking a sub, taking out my wallet and walking out of the entrance with goods in hands this time.. :-)

Thanks alot for responding to the thread guys, i really appreciate it. For now im going with the Type-R and saving for a W3v2(hopefully somewhere down the road).

Sublimation.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us