No car sweet system

Username: Rfrules

Canada

Post Number: 1
Allright well my car has gone back to the shop for good and now i have my 6 month old system i bought for a crap load of cash and it is just sitting my room. Now i want to hook it up some how in my house and i know it is possible so i would like some tips and i also heard something about a computer power supply??? thx guysUpload

Bronze Member
Username: Lotus

Post Number: 26
the only way I know is a grounded battery with a charger so it doesn't die, I've never tried it before though

Canada

Post Number: 2
yeah i have been told that before and thats what i think im going to do if i dont get any more ideas so thx for tip

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2208
Not a good idea. Car batteries let off toxic gas as they charge and uncharge. Not something you want running in your house.

Bronze Member
Username: W00b

Post Number: 97
use fryguy's idea. get any ATX power supply, cut the plugs off so you have bear wires, connect the green wire to the black wire, this turns the PSU on with no computer connected. now you can use the yellow wires (12v) and red wires (5v) and ground (black) to connect to your head unit. everything else is self explanitory once you get the head unit hooked up. you can also wire multiple head units in parallel (connect all similar wires) to get the combined output. for example, if you wired 2 ~550w power supplies, you would have roughly 1100w total. some people think this is dangerous, but what is a good project without taking risks? exactly. good luck =)

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 314
use a DJ amp... it works fine ove done it b4.... i have one if you want it

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2211
DJ amp would be the best bet.

somethingredicolousihavetomakeup
Unregistered guest
if i wanted to do this can it be done with a crown 1000 watt amp?

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1235
Actually, your going to have some difficulty finding an adequately sized power supply. ATX supplies are rated for TOTAL power, i.e. max current at +5v, -5v, -12v, AND +12v.

For example, I have a 200w power supply sitting in my lap and its rated for 20A @ +5v, 8A @ +12v, and .5A @ -5 and -12 volts. 8 amps at +12 volts means this "200 watt" power supply would only be capable of powering a 100% efficient 96 watt amplifier.

You may be able to power a h/u with a typical computer power supply but forget running any serious amps.

-Fishy

Bronze Member
Username: W00b

Post Number: 98
those ratings might not be accurate once the mod goes into play then. the power supplies i am using are said to be rated at only 24A at +12v, its a 550w power supply and when i meter the 12v wires it always says around 510-515.. if the ratings were accurate then it should say around 250-300 if my calculations are right.

Silver Member
Username: Goon

Post Number: 179
If MY calculations are correct, it should take 1.21 jigawatts to power those subs!!

goon

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 1927
that should be equal to one lightning strike LOL

Bronze Member
Username: Balls573

Winona, Missouri U.S

Post Number: 42
You can buy Power supplies that plug into a outlet in your house and put out 12V DC. They are expensive and I dont know if they make anything bigger than 50 or 60 amps but you can find them on ebay cheaper than anywhere else. I had my Hifonics BX1500D and XXX hooked up to a 10 amp power supply until i got my jimmy, but it shut off when the volume was turned up past about 13.

Canada

Post Number: 3
really well that started out really kool untill you said it would not go past 13? what about a 60 amp? would i be abe to turn it up alot higher? thx man

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2329
60 amps would be able to run whatever you need fine, but it's gonna be really expensive for one that big.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 337
must i say this again??? get a DJ amp... i have one and it worked fine ... i got a 2 channel one that is 500 watts per channel if you want it

Canada

Post Number: 4
hmm allright well how much u askin because that sounds like exactly what im looking for ?

Canada

Post Number: 5
A guy i work with with said he has a Harmon Kardon amp for sale and he said that i could use that, i have no idea what he is talking about and i never heard of Harmon Kardon so what do you think ??

Its Harmon Kardon AVR-525

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1273
Fantastic unit.

http://www.harmankardon.com/harman_kardon_avr_525.htm

I own one.

Harmon Kardon isn't quite what they used to be, but still a great piece of equipment. I have an old school Harmon Kardon PA 2200(2x100) running off its preouts, powering a pair of B&W DM 602 S2's and its a lot punchier with merely 30w more per channel.

You'll pay upwards of $800 for a new Harmon Kardon reciever thats comparable(AVR 435 7x65).

http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=AV R%20435&status=

If you can get that thing cheap I'd do it. I paid $550 open box for mine at CC.

-Fishy

Canada

Post Number: 6
Allright Nice the guy said he will sell it for 1300 cdn and i think thats a little pricy ?????

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 367
1300 canadian!!??? holy crap that what like 800 US??? i have no idea lol.... but i have a piramid i think, i havent seen it in a while lol... i;ll give it to you for much much cheaper ... i think its 2 channel at 500 watt each channel ... i have to go to work i;ll try to tell you more about it when i get back

i know its not the best amp you can find but do you really want an amp thats really expensive that you will probably only use for a little while (until you get anohter car)

somethingredicolousihavetomakeup
Unregistered guest
would a crown 1000 watt home theatre amp work or should i try to get a DJ amp?

Canada

Post Number: 7
somethingredicolousihavetomakeup What?? anyways yeah tell me more when evere u get the chance thx man

Canada

Post Number: 8
Could you check this out and tell me about it?? thx http://www.brilliant-electronics.com/power_supply_pyramid_ps36kx.htm

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 369
hey curtis.... what impedence are the subs? i think the amp pushes 350 watts rms at 4ohms each channel (2 channels) and i believe its bridgable too

Canada

Post Number: 9
Hey Trevor my subs are 4 ohms

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 376
aright that sounds pretty good... how many watts rms are they? you could run 1 sub to each channell for 350 w rms at 4 ohms

Canada

Post Number: 10
they are 500 watts rms each

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 377
well you could bridge it at 2 ohms and it will put out more power... probalbt around 1000 watts rms i dont really know... but if its in ur house im sure your not really looking to get the highest decible rating anyway... and just to let you know... with any amp your subs will sound so much quieter in the house than in your car.... i;ll let it go for 100 plus shipping if you want it... and if you want pictures let me know

somethingrediclousihavetomakeup
Unregistered guest
im talkin about a home theatre amp, its powering two pinnacle tower speakers but i have another one, can it be used to power a sub?

Username: Subzer0

Richmond, KY USA

Post Number: 7
I see this on ebay.. sometimes.. I forgot what I search for but that exact picture pops up almost every time.. lol.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 12
Trevor? where have u been lol yeah umm could i have some pics of the receiver because im really interested in it and u said bridging it at 2 ohms i have no idea how to do that? i tried an old Ag-250 and it ran the subs but not very loud and i was getting high frequencies i guess thyat is because there is no filter? my old receiver is only 100 watts 8ohms thx

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 402
sry ive been busy..... umm the wiring im not exactly sure how to do but there are tons of people on this site that can help you.... i;ll go take some pictures of it now... whats your e-mial??

mine is bucsSBchamps007@yahoo.com

Silver Member
Username: Fordpwr

Los angeles, CA Usa

Post Number: 216
JUST GET AN DC>AC CONVERTER. 50-250 BUCKS, AVAILABLE IN DIFF POWER SUPLIES.YOU CAN HOOK UP EVERYTHING JUST LIKE IF IT WAS IN YOUR CAR. CONVERTER WOULD BE ACTING LIKE YOUR BATTERY. JUST PLUG IT TO THE OUTLET AND FLIP THE SWITHC.i'VE GOT A SMALL ONE WERE I TEST ALL MY STUFF, THEY HAVE POWER AND GROUND CONNECTIONS.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us