W7 or w6?

Bronze Member
Username: Mrcoddy

Taber, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 18
what would you guys say would be better. A 13.5 JL W7 or 2 JL W6v2's both powered with a 1000 RMS?

Bronze Member
Username: Daddy_phat_sack

Post Number: 38
the w6v2s..... both would be better than the w7..... thats common since.... most of the time.....

Silver Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 670
yea depends on enclosure. But i would prefer the w6's because of sq.

Bronze Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 16
man, the controvery this thread has the potential to start. this is strictly my take:
first off, i'm a brahma man. i love jl, and my 3 w3's w/800w were my favorite set up to this point, but i don't plan on goin any way but adire anytime soon. i'm objective, but i'm slightly biased in the sense that many would like to make the w7 the endalltobeall and that's just not the case. it's a greeeat sub, but there are others not as expensive that are as good or arguably better.
i have a friend w/one w7 10 w/ 500w to it and it sounds like two 12"s. no joke. he loves it.
imo, the w7 is gonna be loud with exceptional sq, but a sq not up to par with the w6, i.e. not quite as clear/accurate. it hits hard and gets plenty deep, but as far as sq is concerned, the w6 are where its at (imo).
on the same note, i know people who don't believe their w6's get loud enough. if i were you, i would listen to both of them and be the judge. ultimately you have great subs either way. also, you are spending more than necessary for exceptional sound, but it's exceptional none the less.

Silver Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 676
yeh what mike said :-) LIke i said before go with the w6's, because spl should be about the same. But the sq of the w6 is better than the w7 IMO also.

Bronze Member
Username: Daddy_phat_sack

Post Number: 40
depends on wat size ur subs are too...... if its like a couple of w6v2 8s and a w7 13.5 then id go with the w7..... but if its like 2 12/15 w6v2s then id go with the....... well u get it....... but like i said before.... 2 WILL be better than 1 MOST of the time

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 1237
Yeah i use to run my 2 JL 12w6v2's in the jl sealed box and now im gonna try just one JL 12w6v2 in a ported box at 1.5 tuned to 32hz which is jl specs. Looking forward to comparing the differance in sound and output.. IM pushing it with 500 watts rms.

Bronze Member
Username: Team_audio_itch

Tampa, FL

Post Number: 20
brandon, they dont make a 15w6v2, biggest is 13. i think the w7 will be louder. a guy has 4 13w6v2s in a suburban and he does a 152 and i do a 150 with just 1 13w7 on the 1000/1.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1263
For pure sound quality 2 12w6v2's are very hard to beat. The only other subs i whould consider are the 2 or 3 12w3v2's or 1 ID MAX 12.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2527
Personally MO, I'd rather have 1 sub than 2 or 3 for sound quality. Adding a second sub doesn't help sound quality at all.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1265
Personally im gonna go from 2 sealed 12w6v2's to 1 12w6v2 ported. That should be nice SQ with more output.

Bronze Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 33
i wonder how that will be more sq mo. typically/generally, sealed enclosures offer better response and sq than do ported ones. and output will decrease 3db if you remove one sub, not increase. if you don't think you had good sq w/2 w6v2 you might want to try a different box or amp. cuz that should sound great, man. that was my preference. the only reason i didn't go w/those jl's was to be different than everybody in/winning sq comps.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1266
Mike... You will get more output with it in a ported enclosure and maintain the same sq if not better then sealed. You can ask James Longo cause he has had it in both boxes. These subs sound great Ported if you havent heard them yet.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1267
I personally have them tuned to JL specs and thats 1.5 cubic feet tuned to 32hz. Ill be pushing it with 500 watts rms

Bronze Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 34
no doubt, a ported enclosure offers increased output, but that's with the same number of subs. i've never heard of dropping subs to gain spl. but 500 watts should sound perfect. wish i could hear them/it ported like that. i've only heard the w6's sealed.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1281
Yeah a few people said that i whould gain spl by going ported with 1 of these from 2 sealed. Interesting but true if you have the right box built. I am going 1.5 cubes tuned to 32hz which is what jl told me. Im gonna push it with a CrossFire VR1000D with 500 x 1 @ 2 ohm tested at 12.5 volts and set the subsonic filter at 25hz

I can also use this amp at 1000 x 1 @ 1 ohm for the Avalanche 15 that i will be testing also.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1282
Here is what another person had to say abou the W6 and the W7 and db's.

With my experiences with the W6's, they gain considerable output when ported and do not loose all that much sound quality. Depending on your own personal preference, they may sound better to you. In my car, my 13W7 hit a 142.6 Termalb ported off a JL 1000. My 2 12" W6v2's hit a 142.1 sealed off a JL 1000. One W6 in a ported box hit I think a 140-141 I can't quite remember.

My recomendation. Port them. Do not spend the money on a 13W7 unless you want a single sub setup or for some specific reason.
I think you will like the way they sound ported. As for winisd. Just forget about trying to use it and concentrate on building your box. It does not really help all that much in my mind. The only thing it helps is somewhat with the port length, but since it does not take in to account port extension and volume diffences it takes forever to get your tuning right.
How big is your trunk. I would think it should be plenty big. I am working on a box for a ford zx2 and we are putting 3 W6's in there. If you have about 2 cubes per sub you will be fine. For the port tuning if you listen to a varity of music and are not over concerned about SPL, just keep it in the low 30's and it will sound great. Go to JL's website and look at the tutorial section. It will help you out on building your box and there is a equation there to find port length. Take some measurements of you trunk and post them so we can see if there is enough room.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1283
bump

Bronze Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 37
ok, so you will lose a db or so, but nothing significant. interesting. let us know how the avalanche test goes. i almost want to buy one/some for the price as an investment and to do the same thing.
oh, and that dub 7 13" is definately capable of more than low 140's.

Bronze Member
Username: Vtecpower

Post Number: 14
just get 13W7 ported running off 1000/1
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us