Subsonic filter

Username: 01gsxr

Post Number: 55
I have A pair of jls 13w7s and am going to pick up 2 jl 1000/1. Just wanted to find out for spl use if you can take the subsonic filters out, and what fq does the 13 w7 go down to, or pick up. I here a lot of people when talking about spl about subsonic filters?how can this help me in gettingthe best spl setup for my system. Thanks for any help.

Username: Stez_head

Post Number: 10
Ok well it depends what Hz the subsonic filter is some make the bass really punchy and others make the bass low response.

its really up to you what kind of bass you want and how it sounds.But with jl 1000/1 the subsonic filter will sound sweet they are a great idea.

Post Number: 57
stez the subsonic filter can be ajusted, down to a sertent hz And thats it but if you take them out, or disable them you can pick up even lower fq if your subs can pick them up. I dont understant they will sound sweet they are a great idea. all amps come with subsunic fillters and they in most cases can be ajusted, Im trying to find out if I can disable them in spl compition and if it will help with me spl #. Thanks for trying to help .

MuzikInstaller
Unregistered guest
Heres the scoop...Subsonic filters are useless,unless you listen to techno,moby,bass test cd's.Most rap/rock/r&b etc dont use subsonic bass in their songs,so if your amp is trying to pick up subsonic bass that isnt there then isnt it taking away from something else..hmmm,exactly..your regular LPF bass frequencies.

Post Number: 60
Muz the scoop is of corse im playing bass cd, its for spl compatition. The filter has to go.

Post Number: 61
I want to no If I can benafit from remouveing the subsonick filter for spl use, base cd.

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 721
leave the subsonic filters there if the box is vented, which it should be for a W7.
the filters are there to prevent the subs from trying to play below the ported frequencies.
when the subs do this in a vented box, they lose damping, and will over-excurse easily.
this will fry the subs.
the box is most efficient, and therefore loudest, at the tuned frequency anyway, which if all youc are about is SPL, should be tuned to the resonant frequency of the vehicle anyway, probably around 60Hz.
It'll sound lousy but it'll be loudest when done that way.

end result, don't take off the filters. you'll kill the subs.

Post Number: 65
I have to use a seald box, Jl maks the power wedge, Its there seald box for the w7,Im going to have my installer billed me a custom box that will fit my suv, I dodnt think I have room for ported box for 2 13w7. I want the system to hit har and sound clean, but I was wonndering if fore compatition if doing somthing to the subsonicfillter would help. mostlikly in a seald box unles I can fit a ported box.

Post Number: 737
for a sealed box you don't need the subsonic filter.
you will for the vented box.

Post Number: 79
Do I have to take the amp apart to remouve filter?

Post Number: 777
should be able to adjust it with a switch or dial on the outside of the amp.

Anonymous

Hah, with your spelling skills, I wouldn't recommend you take apart anything!

Post Number: 89
Anonymous if your not going to respond to thread then I can realy give a sh$t on what you have to say. Its as$holes like you who need to get a life. dude my spelling does suck but my pockets are fat and thats wat counts bit$h.

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 141
again, another example of why i say we restrict forums to registered users...

CCH
Unregistered guest
i like your way of thinkin keith .... its people like that dude who need to get a life .... cheers

Username: Tim_9872

Post Number: 8
When does someone need a subsonic filter? Should everyone with a ported box use one or is there some exceptions to this rule? I'm wondering if I need one for a Earthquake amp (TNT-300). If so, where can you buy one and how much would it set me back?

Silver Member
Username: Hydro

Orlando, Florida

Post Number: 154
I believe there are alternatives to buying a subsonic filter but the basic idea is for the filter to keep the subs in a ported box from going below their tuning frequency.Ebay probably has some nice models.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
If you were to convert all your music to mp3 format I'm 90% postive that all frequencies which the human ear can't pick up are removed. In most cases I think its around 20Hz on the lower end. If this fact is true and I don't know if it is or not, wouldn't buying a subsonic filter be pointless? If your sub's frequency response goes as low as 10Hz why wouldn't you just filter everything thing lower than that instead of rolling it off?

theAnonymous1
Unregistered guest
You guys are a bunch of dick wads. "Subsonic" by definition means 20Hz and lower. For those of you wanting to disable a subsonic filter for an "spl" advantage are completely retarded. Who the fu*ck uses 0-20Hz for SPL comps? I'll tell you, NO ONE. Why you ask? Because you will reach the speakers xmax at a FAR lower spl then if it was playing a higher frequency, say 45-55Hz. And as far as using one with a "normally" tuned ported box, (by normal I mean 30-40Hz)yes there is an advantage to having it on.........A WORKING SUB. Heres an example, take a 12" sub rated at 1000watts RMS in a ported box tuned at 35Hz. Now, turn the subsonic filter off and play a 10Hz note at 1000 watts through the sub and see how long it takes before it self-destructs. Not long at all. So for the most part, a subsonic filter is mainly used to prevent distortion and physical damage to a sub at "subsonic" frequncies. If the sub plays within its xmax at "subsonic" frequencies with the power you provide it, THEN AND ONLY THEN is it ok to turn it off.

Silver Member
Username: Hydro

Orlando, Florida

Post Number: 157
Thats what I sad but in a short sentence you dumb sh1t who posts under anonymous.Why dont you take ur german speakinass over to Germany and suck Hitlers dick.Dont bring that garbage you talk into this message board.

theAnonymous1
Unregistered guest
AH, if he were still alive I would gladly suck his dick just to thank him for killing all the jew bastar*ds like you.

Saugen sie meinen langen deutschen hahn sie judebastard

Anonymous

tu madre es facil

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Who lost WW2? Need I say more?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1521
Anonimous1 has a point, in that for SPL advantage, you want to tune your box to the resonant frequency of the vehicle's cabin, which is usually around 45-65Hz.
The subs won't sound great, but in the proper bandpass enclosure, they'll be very loud.
you'll want to cut off the low end with a high-pass filter a bit below the box's tuned frequency to prevent damping loss and over-excursion of the subs. If you're going for sound quality, and the ported box is tuned closer to the 35Hz range, you'll still want to cut the subs off around 20-25Hz.

As for his attitude, that leaves a lot fo be desired.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us