Fishy....Cable Sizes?

Blair
Unregistered guest
I want to make sure I have big enough cables for my install, so heres a couple of q's..

1) is 12 gauge cable large enough for my subs to the amp, or should i run 8 gauge? Im running 750 watts to each ID max.

2) I have the D2 models, so i am hooking each sub up in series and then running the subs together in parallel to get an overall impedance of 2 ohm. When I hook up the two wires from each sub do I just solder and tape them or is there a more professional way of doing it?

3) Should I upgrade the tweeter wire? cos the stock one is pretty thin?

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1259
1) 12 gauge is plenty

2) Unless a sub has fancy spring loaded connectors I simply use these:

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=FD1263BK

soldering would work great until you need to change voice coil configurations.

3) Depends how small it is, but generally you don't need really big wire for tweets, 18 gauge and up is fine.

-Fishy

Blair
Unregistered guest
sweet thanks....but what I meant for Q2 is that I will have a posative and a negative cable comming off each sub. I want to join the negative to the other negative and then just run one line to the amplifier to keep things neat (same for positive)..i suppose it is ok to soldier them?

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1266
Yeah, If you've got fairly large cable it would be difficult to find a big enough b.u.t.t. connector and a crimp cap would look kind of dorky. I'd go the soldering route and use 3 pieces of heat shrink, one for the positive, one for the negative, and maybe one big piece to cover both of those.

Should look slick.

-Fishy

Username: Blair

Brisbane, Queensland Australia

Post Number: 1
Thanks but another question for you. I want to put the distribution block for the power and ground behind a small little box with a perspecs window in the boot however the location that i was going to put it means that one of the ground cables from amp to distribution block may be 1 metre or slightly more (3-4 feet). I think this may be too long?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us