Eclipse sucks??????

Bronze Member
Username: Kitkatt

Post Number: 17
ok. i was all set to spring for eclipse ti 12"...i was just told that eclipse is very poor sound quality, and also is poorly constructed. talked to uscaraudio just to get some info, and he said "all looks, no quality" though he has installed a few of them. advice was to go for idq12 for my 800 rms. what do you guys think about these two? i thought both were good.

please help...want to do it right (sql) but not comp level or anything

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2260
I think that guy is an absolute moron. All of the top posters on this forum would agree that Eclipse is very worth the money. Their not the absolute best out there, yes there is better quality, but they are still very good.

And yes, I have heard Eclipse subs in person. The Aluminum's have amazing sound quality.

As for the IDQ, yes, they are very good as well, but you can't compare the IDQ to the Eclipse TI. The IDQ is built for sound quality, and it's not gonna belch out big numbers in spl. The Eclipse TI is an sql sub, and being much more massive as well has having twice the power handeling as an IDQ, they are two very different subs.

As for the 800wrms, I hope that guy meens 800 wrms to two IDQ's, because the 12" IDQ's are 350 wrms, and the 15's are 400 wrms.

Silver Member
Username: Rhassler

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 171
yeah i'd have to agree with joe on that one, ive never heard that there bad or anything. i'm debating on pickin up 2 ti 12's or 2 15's this summer.

Silver Member
Username: Alpineuser

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 312
one 12" ti will sound amazing and get extremly loud

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
thanks for the detailed answer...he told me that one IDQ12 hit 140db...found that hard to believe. he also said to run a single IDQ12 at 800 wrms, just don't turn the gain all up. will i ruin the sub? Is 800 wrms enough for IDMAX12? i think i can only fit 1 12"

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2264
Yes 800 wrms will run an ID MAX fine. You don't need all 1000 watts to reach full excursion. Box type and design can also change how many watts needed to run to it.

I guess it's not impossible for an IDQ to hit 140, but I find it very unlikely. And yes, 800 wrms is too much for one IDQ.

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1390
actually the id max can belch out some pretty high numbers in spl. even though thats not what they are meant for. but i agree eclipse is a very good company, make good stuff. do this, go on there and ask him if he likes the tc sounds tc9 + and if he4 says yes he has heard of therm and likes them then tell him he is a moron, because the ti and the tc are the same sub.

Silver Member
Username: Alpineuser

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 314
i doubt he will know what that is since most guys that work at car audio stores only know about their own subs they carry, and you are really lucky if they even know about what they have

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
it's really hard when even the "pros" at the store don't what they're talking about...thanks for the help

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2267
I agree with Alpine. 20 bucks says he's never heard of TC Sounds before.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2806
I Nick I was just thinking if you dont have the cash to get an Avalanche could you pick up a Atlas for $100 your G4 would run it perfectly at 4ohms:-) I think it would be sweet for $100 for an Atlas 15:-)

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2272
I probably could get an Atlas for 100 bucks, but then I don't wanna turn around and have to sell it to get something bigger later. If you haven't seen, I'm looking into SoundSplinter now, or possibly an ID MAX.

I'm gonna put my stupid guitar on ebay this week, gonna take a hit in the price, but at least I'll sell the thing.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 1121
what is a good sub to match a Orion HCCA 225g4 james??? it can do 200 x 1 @ 2 ohm and 400 x 1 @ 1 ohm and everyone knows this amp is underated.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2287
Image Dynamics IDQ 15".

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2812
Does the Eclipse Alum come in dual 2ohm? I think it does. if it does that sub would be a great match to run at 1ohm. remember running that amp at 1ohm you are most likely going to need a fan on that amp I did on my 250g4 I installed them today built into a smoke plexy glass over my amp rack, it looks really good. My amp was shutting off after about 20 minutes of loud playing now it hasnt shut off once :-)

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2304
Pretty sure the Alum comes in dual 2 or 4 ohms. So that would work as well. The SW7122, (I think that's the model #)

James, the G4 got that hot after 20 minutes? Was that from really cranking it, or just casual listening? I kinda figured I'd put a fan by mine though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1123
Why is it necessary to get a fan when its built for competition quality? I was actually looking at the eclipse's earliar on www.woofersetc.com and i was considering the aluminum but there are 2 types of aluminum. 400 rms and 450 rms i think.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2310
Make sure it's the 7100 series, and not the 7300 Hybrid series. The ones me and James are talking about are 450 rms.

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3429
NO NO NO, you guys GET THe 81000 series, they are better and only 30 bucks more expensixe, dont waste time on the 71000 or the 7300 or less lol, but the eclipses als are unreal lol,

BUt on the thread, why in the heck did he say eclipse sucks, does he sell it or no?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1124
http://www.woofersetc.com/product.asp?0=279&1=285&3=3353

I think this whould be the one. What enclosure is recommended for this subwoofer??? Ported?

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2313
The 8100's aren't that much better sub. Not really a huge difference in build, maybe slightly better, and 50 wrms more power handeling. That's about it. I did forget about those though. I would say get an 8100 over a 7100.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3433
DANG IT NO, get the 88100 series, its on the site

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2315
MO, you can get either Eclipse's a lot cheaper off Ebay.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1125
since you say the 81000 is so good where can i get it from????

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2319
Ebay?

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3437
http://www.woofersetc.com/product.asp?0=279&1=285&3=1610

Gold Member

Post Number: 1126
Eclipse 10" Aluminum Subwoofer / only thing is its a 10". I listen to mostly RAP. They dont make it in a 12"?

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2322
Yes, look on Ebay.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2820
yes it was from really cranking it! but now I can crank it for an hou and it is perfect:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1127
Ok so i found this one but im not sure if its dual 2 ohm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5772836786&fromMakeTrack= true

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
subfanatic-as for the eclipse though, he said that it was poor sound quality, and that it wasn't great quality construction so may not last long. he does sell them, but tried to talk me into IDQ12 instead. now i'm thinking maybe IDMAX12

Silver Member
Username: Erik123456

Post Number: 548
If you want a decently loud sq system get the IDQ12, there is not a huge difference between the idmas and Ti in my opinion other than i guess you could say the Ti is a SPL sub with good SQ and the IDMax is SQ sub with good SPL

eclipse has solid sq and great construction as well as warranties

Gold Member

Post Number: 1128
So the SW7122 and the SW8122 arent much differant then the 50 watts rms huh? Cause they have the dual 2 ohm version on http://www.woofersetc.com/product.asp?0=279&1=285&3=3353

Oh yeah and what is the recommended enclosure for this aluminum subwoofer??

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2331
No, their not that much different. The SW8122 will have like 50 watts more rms, while the SW7122 has about .2 more inches of xmax.

I was actually gonna get a SW7124 a while back, and had an enclosure all ready for it. Jonathan told me to go about 2.25 - 2.5 cf, ported, tuned to around 30, give or take a few hz.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1130
sounds nice Joe..i will consider it for the orion hcca 225g4 amp i have. 400 x 1 @ 1ohm and i should get 600 watts.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2334
Actually, yeah that 225g4 should work almost perfectly.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1131
Well for now i am gonna run my new CrossFire VR1000D amp to my JL 12w6v2 in a slot ported box tuned to 32hz with the amp at 500 x 1 @ 2 ohm at 12.5 volts and when i get bored i will put in my Avalanche 15 sub in a 2.2-2.5 sealed box and run the amp at 1000 x 1 @ 1 ohm tested at 12.5 volts.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3438
JOe, have you tested and played around withboth subs like i have, THERE IS a difference in them besides JUST the 50 watts im teling you the 30 bucks more IS worth it

Gold Member

Post Number: 1133
It only comes in 10" though at www.woofersetc.com subfanatic. Where is 12"

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3443
i dont know where you could find a 12 lol maybe ebay lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 1136
Im looking for it in dual 2 ohm. I found some but they are dual 4 ohm versian.

Silver Member
Username: Dankman

Granger, Indiana United States

Post Number: 147
Hey just get the SW7124's they are great subs. and if ya end up fidning the 8100's they prolly wont have any warranty, so get them 7124's and a good box for emm. I got mine still check emm out http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/772119

Gold Member

Post Number: 1137
Yeah i will probably get the SW7122 which is the 2 ohm versian. What do you have that box tuned to? How big should it be for one sub ?

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2338
Dankman, did you ever get that one Aluminum fixed? You said one was acting like it was almost blown or somethign??

Silver Member

Post Number: 148
Yea i sent them both back and got emm both reconed and new voice coils.

Silver Member

Post Number: 149
My box i believe is 2.5 Cuft for both subs and its tuned to 27hz

Username: Daddy_phat_sack

Post Number: 8
ive never had eclipse cuz their too expensive for me.....im a poor 16 year old :-(
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us