Avalanche 18

Silver Member
Username: Ctx

Post Number: 130
I know this is a very broad question but in a large proted box, in a suv would an avalanche 18 hit anywhere near 146db's with good sq, with a jbl 1200.1, im on the virge of buying one HELP ME OUT HERE!

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2278
It could come close if you do everything right. Might take some tweaking, but it's do-able. Your gonna need a VERY big box for the Avy 18, btw.

Silver Member
Username: Alpineuser

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 318
a single avalanche 15 with 1800 watts hit 147 so i could see 146 out of a 18 :-)

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2824
it would have to be tuned to about 35htz but it would hit over that if done correctly. I got mine metered at 143.7 without much tweaking and thats with 1000 watts to a 15 in a sealed enclosure so it is most deff possable. The thing with the avalanche is that it will hit 146 at like 35htz which is down right amazing. they are very very powerfull down low:-)

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 347
james you have yours in a 2.5 cuft sealed enclosure right?

what do you think it would hit in a ported tuned to 24 Hz then? do you still think the average 3db inrease with ported will come through? i really want to hit 145 with a single avalanche 15 with a JL 1000/1 but i dont know the best enclosure for it. i dont want to blow the sub and i want it to sound good too.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2827
yeah that should work great! wait are we still talking about the 18 or the 15?

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 349
i, Trevor, am talking about my avalanche 15... my question was... since you hit 143.7... (since you cannot tell exactly because of all the factors of my car, amp and everything) if you built a solid ported box tuned to 24 Hz do you think you'd hit 145 db from the ported enclosure? i know that the average increase from sealed to ported is about 3db but its not always accurate i just want your opinion.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2833
yes I believe you would especially run off of your amp. I bet you would hit close to it in a perfectly sealed 2.5 cu/ft sealed box and you wont sacrafise any SQ whatsoever. if you go ported I would tune to about 20htz but the only problem is it has to be a very large box and the port size would be huge.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2349
Trevor, 145 is very do-able with your setup man. I know you really wanna hit 145, but I don't think you need to worry about it so much. I would bet you money that with some time and tweaking, you'll eventually get there.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 350
well size isnt really a problem ive doen the math and im willing to sacrifice 12 cuft of my trunk space. althou i belive i dont want to have the box any deeper than about 20 inches.

question james... is that 2.5 cuft measure from the outside of the box? and about how huge do you think the port would be?

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 351
and thanks joe for the confidence lol

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2835
I dont have the program to run it but it is big! yest those dimensions on my sealed box are outside dimensions with the front baffle doubled up!

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2351
I just wish you a lot of luck Trevor, and I hope you do hit 145 and hopefully make it higher. Your living the American dream, lol.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 353
and yet a very cost effective dream lol ... the dream is just taking an amazing long time... i need a raise so i can afford this stuff faster lol ... my brother just got a summer job paying some good money... like he made 150 dolars today..... im jelous lol i make that in 2 weeks... but actually after insurance and savings i only make that in about 4 weeks

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2355
Trevor, I am in the same exact boat man. It takes a very very long time on a limited income, lol. It's taking me a long time to piece together almost the same system your building. Saved money for a couple months and bought my Orion amp, now I've been waiting about 3 months to sell some old equipment to buy a sub/enclosure material and new wiring.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2845
Hey Nick how much do you have saved up for your sub?

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2356
Right now? I just payed off my rims, lol, so 0 bucks. But like I said, the guitar is going on ebay, and I have a sub and box I'm trying to sell, along with an old mtx sub that i'm trying to get rid of. Once everything's gone I should have about $450 for the sub, box, and new wiring.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2848
you still got my e-mail address?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us