Short Mounting Depth Sub For Truck.

Bronze Member
Username: Justintoxicated

Post Number: 20
Hey Guys I need a sub that will it in my Titan Truck under the rear seat.

Currently I own a hifonics amp I was running my W0's off.

it is
600x1 @ 4 ohm
300x2 @ 2 ohm
150x2 @ 4 ohm

Problem is that I only really have about 5.75 inches of mounting depth to play with unless I build a custom box, and about .74- 1 CF of airspace. I was looking at a box online that gives me exactly this. However I could probably have one built to gain slightly more mounting depth (not much) and a little more volume.

Basicaly all I have found in that will fit so far is this Audioban only in a 10 inch version,
http://www.woofersetc.com/product.asp?0=217&1=218&3=3385
I don't know if it is good SQ, I don't think I have enough power, and I don't know the recomended enclosure volume. I can get it for $200 bucks if I act now.

I have also considered getting 2 JL W3 10 and making a box to force them to fit 9about 1 foot of airspace) or Possibly 2 Adire Shivas. I appreciate any Suggestions as I have not been into car audio recently. SOmeone told me Audioban was good.

I can get pics of the interior of the truck if it would help.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Sorry for the double post, I must have clicked submit twice? Can a Mod delete one please?

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1172
2 10's

IDQ 10d4

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/pdf/IDQ10%20D4%20V2.pdf

Pretty much a SQ sub and will play low in a small sealed enclosure. I plan on eventually getting a d2 for my stealth box(.62 ft^3). Remember to allow about .75" extra depth so the voice coil can breath. You could go with less, but that would probably limit power handling a bit.

Authorized dealer:

http://www.cardomain.com/item/IDSIDQ10D4V2

Koda 10d4

http://www.adireaudio.com/Mobile/KodaSeries.htm

Another SQ sub. This is their new model and I haven't had a chance to see how it does in WinISD, but the old one wasn't a very good match for my stealth box. In other words it likes a bit more airspace and doesn't play as low as the IDQ. In your app it'd probably provide more output however.

There are other choices out there, but none I'd think that would sound better than a w0 or louder than a w3. To be honest I really didn't like the way my 10w3's sounded sealed compared to ported. The w0 I have in my stealth box now doesn't play all that low or loud but is really smooth.

-Fishy

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1173
Oh yeah. I'd avoid audiobahn stuff.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
why does everyone not like audoiban stuff? Just curious cause my friend just bought the sub I mentioned. I told him I thought Audioban was good, I swear I hard they were, are they worse than say MTX? I feel kinda bad now for him.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Oh yea someone mentioned getting one of these it is an RLI 10
http://www.soundsplinter.com/rli_series/rli_10_inch_DIY_car_and_home_subwoofer_d river_information.html

or this M3?
http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/products/details.asp?cat=&id=40&p=2

SWS
http://www.lightav.com/car/earth/subs.html

Blaupunkt
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-RmHierGuH8I/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=67600&I=023OD100 0

Or Adire Shiva/s.
http://www.adireaudio.com/Mobile/index.htm

the RLi 10 look good and sounds very promising, But I have never heard one! Anyone know about these?

What about the Adire Shivas? are they any good?

the IDQ looks good but it will be severly overpowered (I could turn the amp down) but Id like my new sub to be about the same loudness level as my 2 JL W0 12's in a bandpass box, or close to it. But much more clear.

Looking at using this box
http://www.subbox.net/store/catalog/Custom-Titan-Extended-Cab-Subwoofer-Enclosur e-Pair-2004-2005-p-113.html

or this box
http://www.proboxrocks.com/chevy/99upextendeddf.shtml Id rather not fill the underside of the seat though if possible I use this space often.
This box fits barley.
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22777

Perhpas you gusy could help me to eliminate any of these that would not work well in this application and select which ones would?

Or suggest new options to help confuse me more.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Right now I'm thinking about either going with the Adire Koda 10's or 1 12.

Or Possibly the sound Splinter RLi 10.

Anyone tried either of these?

I heard the Pioneer mentioned in my duplicate post are not very good.

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1183
If you're limited on mounting depth I'll doubt you'll find many 12's that would fit. If you're going .7 ft^3 or less I'd still recommend a pair of IDQ 10d4's. Like I said, unless the new model Kodas have different specs they aren't going to play very low in .7 ft^3. The IDQ's are designed specifically for very small enclosures, you'd only be over-powering them by about 50 watts each, and would save you $200 over the Kodas as well.

Soundsplinter makes good stuff, but do you have 6+ inches of available mounting depth? The RLi 10's are 1/4" deeper than the IDQ's and remember, you need to allow room for the voice coil vent to breath.

The nice thing about the w0's and w3's is that they have collar vented vc's which means you can mount those guys right up next to the back of the enclosure.

-Fishy

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1184
the IDQ looks good but it will be severly overpowered (I could turn the amp down) but Id like my new sub to be about the same loudness level as my 2 JL W0 12's in a bandpass box, or close to it. But much more clear.

Ain't gonna happen with any two sealed tens at 300 watts each. 12 inch subs have a substantial amount more surface area than 10's. That and the fact that most bandpass enclosures are specifically designed for high output negates any output gain achieved from going from 250 watts(bandpassed w0's) to 600 watts(something else sealed). They will sound a whole lot better tho. If you had room to go ported you might have a chance.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
I keep hearing great things about Adire Audio, But you said you don't like the Kodas? The Kodas are pretty shallow. The IDQ's atualy look kinda whimpy, I'm sure they sound good but I would probably buy W3 over them. But I hear Adire Kodas sound better than W3's and I hard you say that IDQ's sound better than Kodas?

The audioban I was looking at is 1000watts RMS with 4 inch mount depth. But you said to avoid them? Why?

I think I can fit the sound Splinter, depending on how deep the box really is it says it is for speakers with a 5.7 inch mount depth but I don't know if they mean the vents would be right against the box or not.

so the Sound Splinter is going to give me better quality than the Adire koda even with the new XBL driver in it?

I htink I can get 6 inches of mounting depth if I make my own box even without fiberglassing. Id just prefer to buy one cause I am lazy. There are not really and good boxes made for my truck yet. Titan KC, only the Titan CC.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
BTW I could get my W0 12's to fit I bet if I wanted. but I need something better than such old technology for my new truck.

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 245
u know dude if its an extended cab your can always take out the back seat and custom build a back seat with subs in the box/seat thing and have like cross bars acoss where the sub is so people can sit lol

Username: Chevydrew

Post Number: 1
The Infinity Perfect 10.1 has a mounting depth of 5.75" and works in 0.6 CF of air space. It is supposed to sound awesome too. I am looking at doing something similar and I want good SQ.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
I'm really still undecided. I'm leaning towards either the soundsplinter or the Adire Kodas to get the most out of the amp I currently have.

I'm not sure which will be louder or sound better.

I heard perfects are good but I would probably stick with JL over them.

Why is the Magnet so much larger on the SoundSplinters? Is XBL2 better technology than the Sound Splinters Driver?

The IDQ does not look as impressive or powerful as the koda, and It sounds like I have more space than you do in your stealthbox?

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1240
Go with the koda 10d4's. I just plugged them into winISD and they're a lot different than the old ones and seem to now do better than the IDQ's.

I'll probably save up a bit more cash and get one instead for my stealthbox. I can't find any mounting depth specs for the things however. I assume they're the same as the old ones, but I'd check with Adire to make sure and to see if they're even available yet. I haven't seen any on the few dealer sites I've visited.

-Fishy

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1241
Go with the Koda 10d4's.

I just plugged them into WinISD and they're a lot different than the old ones and now look better than the IDQ's. I can't find any mounting depth specs however. I assume they're the same as the older model, but I'd check with Adire to make sure and to see if they're even available yet. I haven't found them on the few dealer sites I've visited so far.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
I think I did find them on a website I will have to see if I can find it again. The 10's jsut came out but the 12's & 15's have not been released yet.

would 2 10's be better than 1 12? I believe I can fit either combo with a custom box.

Are they better than the sound splinters in both SPL and SQ? Or your not sure?

I think the mounting depth was either 4.5 or 4.75 inches if I remember correctly.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Oh I forgot. I was thinking the D8, 8 ohm coil would be better for my application with the amp listed above. Especialy if I was to get 2 and find out I could only run one of them? Let me know if I am correct. I was thinking with the D8 I would have the option to do 1@4ohm (Bridge the amp) or 2@8 ohm in parallel (Bridge the amp)

Otherwise I would have to only use 1 channel on the amp for a single D4 (wired for 2 ohms) or 2 of them one per each channel with the sub wired for 2 ohms individualy?

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1244
"d4" means each sub has 2 4 ohm voice coils. These voice coils can be wired in series to provide an 8 ohm sub so the d4 is the model you'd want.

The older Kodas were 4 ohm single voice coil models

http://www.acousticconcepts.com.au/Koda10.html

so really wouldn't work as well with your amp(only 300 watts).

I'm not sure the older Koda 12's and 15's ever even came out and now I think we're going to have to wait even longer for the new 10d4's(I can't find them anywhere except Adire's site). It looks like Adire has changed the basket and possibly the motor as well which explains the increased price I guess. I just hope the mounting depth hasn't changed too much as well.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
ahh ok so I can wire the subs to be 2 ohms or 8 ohms each, Dang I guess I need to get 2 then so I can wire the subs coils in series and the speakers in parallel to get them to run 4 ohm x 600 watts which is what my amp can do.

I could run one at 2 ohms still, but I would not be able to bridge my amp :-( Do they make a 2 ohm coil version? I'm thinking it would make more sense to get a D2 dual 2 ohm coils. Then I could wire it for 4 ohms and bridge the amp so as to stress only 1/2 of it but rather put very little stress on it....

Or If I wanted to run 2 then I could run them in sterio, one on each channel. So its a D2 that I want then right?

I'm pretty confused!

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1246
They "make" both a dual 4 and dual 8 ohm models,

but I don't think either are out yet.

If you got a pair of d4's then you'd run the voice coils in series to give you a pair of 8 ohm drivers and then run these subs in parallel to provide a 4 ohm mono load.

If you're looking to use a single driver you'd want either a dual 2 ohm, dual 8 ohm, or single 4 ohm sub to get the most power out of that amp.

And yes, this stuff can be a bit confusing.

-Fishy

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1247
Oh, I wouldn't consider a Koda 10d2 an option. 600 watts would be a bit much for it. In fact I doubt you'll find any single sub that will handle 600 watts and still have a small enough mounting depth to fit your application.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
I did not think it would be a good idea to run 1/2 the amp at Full power and 1/2 the amp doing nothing.

What would happen if I got the D4 wired it for 2 ohms. Bridged my Hifonics 600x1 @ 4 ohms and plugged the speaker in? Would it really only run 300 watts but off both channels? I don't htinkt he channels are 1 ohm stable so I don't think it is 2 ohm stable when bridged.

I guess I could jsut force myself to get two subs.

If I got 2 would it be better to bridge the amp and runt hem Mono or set them up to run 2 ohms and have sterio?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Or I just thought of this, what if I made one speaker 8 ohm, Bridged the amp for 600x1 @ 4 ohm....Would the amp do 300x1 @ 8 ohm? (I don't see why not?)

Anonymous

http://ecoustics.pricegrabber.com/search_compare.php?topcat_id=2&page

Anonymous

second one down

Anonymous

http://ecoustics.pricegrabber.com/search_compare.php?topcat_id=2&page_id=331&pag e_id=331&Compare+Selected+Products.x=40&Compare+Selected+Products.y=6&masterids% 5B%5D=3150607

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1249
what if I made one speaker 8 ohm, Bridged the amp for 600x1 @ 4 ohm....Would the amp do 300x1 @ 8 ohm?

Yes, but I'm a little confused on what you want here. You're limited on mounting depth so one big sub is not an option and one 10 is probably not going to be loud enough for you. If money is a problem I'd suggest a pair of IDQ 10d4's otherwise a pair of Koda 10d4's when and if they ever come out.

Maybe you should do like what was suggested and just remove your rear seat. It would give you more options.

I really don't know what else to say.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
It's not that. I just figured it would be a bad idea to stress one channel ont he amp at 100% while the other channel does nothing. 1 10 may very well be loud enough as space conserv ation is VERY important to me.. I use the back seat in the truck alot especialy when I go camping.

I was wondering if I could run an 8 ohm sub off my amp that is bridged, I don't think I could run a 2 ohm since it is only 4 ohm stable when bridged. it is a 2 channel amp you see. If my amp is 600x1 @ 4 ohm can it run 300x1 @ 8 ohm?

Otherwise I think I have to get the 2 ohm version of the sub so I can wire the coils in series to have 4 ohms and turn the amp down (easier ont he amp since each channel is only outputting 1/2 it is capable of.) If I got the 2 ohm version one side of the amp would be compleatly maxed out while the other is not.

I did find the Kodas for sale. On another forum someone told me it sounded bad compared to an a/d/s. He also ssaid I need at least a 1 cf box for each koda or it will sound like crap. Waiting to see which Koda he used to have....

The Blaupunkt low profile speaker could tak emy whole 600 watt RMS. It costs a considerable amount more but it sounds as though it might give me the volume I need. Never been a blaupunkt fan though myself.

After all this research and everyone telling me that W3V2's are not that great It's as if I am back to where I started. It appears all Ic an fit in the back seat that will only takeup the room on one side the the JL stealthbox. I feel like I'm going in circles now and Don't have anyplace to go, it is quite frustrating to hear that W3's are not that good get a Adire, then to hear the Adire is not as good as something else that is not as good as the JL W3's....

I really don't know what to do at this point as it seems there is no answer without buying one of each sub :-(

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1255
I own a pair of 10w3's. They sound great ported, but I don't like them sealed although if output is your major goal you probably would. The guy you talked to about the Kodas is telling you exactly what I told you earlier. They(the old ones he obviously has) need a bigger enclosure. The new Kodas are a different beast and would work well in a .7 ft^3 enclosure, but who knows when they will become available.

I know nothing of Blaupunkt. All I can say is I don't see them being recommended here or on other forums. In addition that 600w rating is "peak" which is useless. The actual RMS rating is 200w.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-iTUSbqVSwm2/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=67600&id=feature s_and_specs&i=023OD1000

As far as bridging your amp into an 8 ohm load I think I answered that question, YES, thats the way you would do it with a single 8 ohm or dual 4 ohm driver.

As far as JL's stealthbox. I assume you are referring to this:

http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/titan.html

I own a pair of 10w3d2's. Those utilize 10w3v2d4's which may sound a lot different than mine sealed. Then again they don't look to be playing in a lot of airspace. They would be a simple solution, but expect to pay a good chunk of change for them($600-$700?). If you have to have the underneath of one side side of the seat clear for amps or storage then that should make things simple. Get the stealthbox. I've yet to hear of a JL stealth enclosure that sounded "bad".

We can only give you so much advice before it all starts becoming meaningless. I know its probably not a practical suggestion, but listening to you're options IN-CAR before you make the plunge is the only way to know if you're going to be happy with the outcome.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
yea that is the stealthbox I was looking at, but I don't have the Crew Cab I have the King Cab, so it won't fit. However I should no more about he KC stealthbox by June...

I will give Adire a call tomarrow if I get a chance, it would be nice to get something a little different especialy if it sounds better.

Thanks for all your input. If they are not the right subs I will look closer at the Sound Splinters as I hear they are also very good.

I have a feeling 1 10 or 1 12 may very well be enough for my tasts as I hardly ever turned up my 2 12's all the way. I do want my truck to shake and be heard though.

Here is a pic of my backseat with the seats down that I need to fit the box under I can get another pic witht he eats up, the passenger side has alot mroe space if I move the jack n stuff to another location and fiberglass part of the box for additional space.

http://desertrat.servepics.com/Truck/Titan5.jpg
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us