12" Ava's or IDmax 12"

Anonymous

Are these comparble at all which ones would give me better SQ? and which would give more SPL? Im tore between the 2 help!

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2245
It depends. I would say the ID MAX will give you more sq and spl.

Silver Member
Username: Loc_out

Post Number: 143
But at the same time AVA are only $200. What is your budget?

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2252
Yeah, you gotta remember price as well. I would say if you have the funds, go with the ID MAX. Superb sq. If you just want something loud then save your money and get the Avalanche, especially at the price it's at right now. ID MAX's can be had for under $300 shipped easily off Ebay.

Bronze Member
Username: Kitkatt

Post Number: 16
how does the eclipse 12" compare to the idmax 12" for similar price? i'll be running 800 rms.

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 335
i could agree on the SQ of the id max but do you really think the idmax has more spl? i would think tha avalanche has to be atleast equal if not louder. it has more xmax and if you put 1000 watts to it like the idmax needs i would think the avalanche would be louder.... but im just guessing i really dont know.

oh and one crazy fact.... i e-mailed teamtoxicbass aobut pete's avalanche setup... he said he runs 2000 watts to each avalanche daily and 4000 watt burps each sub!!! thats insane!

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2256
Well, you gotta remember ID MAX's have pretty thin surrounds, and in effect have a greater cone area. I know we had a discussion about ID MAX's, XXX's, and Brahma's a while ago. Most people said the ID MAX would sound the best but also have the least SPL, but Jonathan said the ID MAX's can get very loud if set up properly. The xmax difference between the Avalanche and the ID MAX is pretty minimul, shouldn't make a big difference. Since the ID MAX has a larger cone area, it can displace more than the Avalanche, even if it has a higher xmax. It takes quite an increase in linear excursion to match the gains from a larger cone diameter.

Bronze Member
Username: Lowdose

St. Louis, Mo

Post Number: 36
Same here using PPI PCX2400 its 400x2 at 4ohm 1600x1 at 4ohm or 800x2 at 2ohm. I can get IDmax for $299 each from http://www.infinitecaraudio.com/ which is at my range but if I could still get 2 ava's and they gonna perform about the same I could save some loot. And is that even enough to drive those Avalanche's?

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2258
Only problem is that the Avalanches are Dual 2 ohm only, wich wouldn't work the greatest with that amp. You'd only be giving 400 wrms to each sub. The ID MAX's would work the best, just get two Dual 4 ohm versions. 800 wrms will run an ID MAX nicely.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3898
The Avalanche works best sealed and would give best results at high volumes in a sealed box. The ID Max works well in both, but absolutely screams ported, ported to ported it would outperform the Avalanche. And yes, the ID Max does get quite loud and linearly outdisplaces a Brahma and other similar subwoofers. Both the ID Max and Avalanche are very efficient for the power given. Choose based on the enclosure you intend.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us