Enclosure ?

bob dole
Unregistered guest
I have a 91 toyota pickup and i want to add some bass to my system, but i don't want to lose and passenger seating. I'v read about people putting sub enclosures in the storage wells under the rear seats; usually, it's only a 10" in the driver side, but i'v read some people's claim of putting 2 10's in wells. My question is can you just seal off all holes in the metal well, or would you have to fiberglass or build an enclosure to fit in there? If anyone has actually done what i'm talking about and/or has built an enclosure and has the blue prints please post. If anyone could build me a custom enclosure i'd be interested in an estimated cost. thanx

bob dole
Unregistered guest
Also, whats with the clear windows in boxes? are they just for looks ar is it a type of port? heres an example

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxes.asp

Rhythm44
Unregistered guest
Windows are only pretty, it's so you can see that woofer you just spent $300 on :D.

bob dole
Unregistered guest
so there not a type or port or passive radiator?
weak, i was thinking maybe of doing somehting like this....

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/prd/

But i guess i'll have to go with a simple sealed enclosure....

bob dole
Unregistered guest
Anyway, back to my original question, can i just seal off the metal wells under the seats with foam? Or would it be wise to fiberglass it???

Bronze Member
Username: Tim_9872

Post Number: 13
If I was in this situation I would build a box out of mdf that way it can be built to the sub's volume specs. Light metal like tin will flex and you will loss SPL and it might cause a pretty annoying noise. If you go with a wooden box you may have to sound proof the metal, foam should work in this situation.

bob dole
Unregistered guest
thanx

Username: The_master

Bellmawr, Nj Usa

Post Number: 10
use mdf then mount it to well and then you can bondo or glass around it to prevent water and also cosmetically get a better look--you cannot just use the sheet metal--would you get a metal 55 gallon trash can and mount a 15 inch sub in it for your house?the cabinet cannot stress on the draw of the sub-if this occurs you move no air
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us