Polyfil with right volume

RCT
Unregistered guest
I am finishing the enclosure for two RF 8" subs. They are in a sealed enclosure that I built to the exact internal volume specs. The chambers are seperate. Should I still use polyfil? and if so how much?

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 404
I'm pretty sure polyfill generally adds 0.1 cuft per pound inserted.
Polyfill helps dampen a little bit and usually makes your equipment sound a little bit better.

RCT
Unregistered guest
Thanks, I know the polyfil adds to the percieved volume of the enclosure. Thats my question. Since my enclosure was built to the manufacturer's optimum specs, should I still add the polyfil? Or should I skip the polyfil and add some kind of dampening material (ie dynamat) just to the inside walls?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2883
Polyfill is better for the box. You don't want to use dynamat inside the box.

RCT
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the info guys, but maybe I'm not stating my question clearly. I know polyfil "adds" to the internal volume, and that it also has a dampening effect. My enclosure was built to the optimum internal volume per MFG specs. I don't need the polyfil for internal volume, I am only considering it for its dampening effects. The question is, will the benefit of the dampening effect outweigh the detriment of increasing the internal volume above the MFG's specs?

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1245
If you don't want to increase the airspace your subs "see" don't use it, but not all manuafcturers specs are optimum. You might like the way they sound with the polyfill.

Oh btw it IS this "dampening effect" which increases the effective volume. Polyfill can smooth out upper bass as well, but serves no other purpose.

Instead of asking us, just go try it both ways and see which you like better. You may not even be able to notice a difference.

-Fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us