Finally

Silver Member
Username: Alpineuser

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 308
well i just ordered my 18" Avalanche, it was $298.97 shipped but wont be here till some time in june :-(. I will be giving it 1200wRMS and i havent decided on the box design yet but its gonna be big

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1785
That should really bump!:-) Good luck.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 1919
i saw chad did two in a 18 cf box ported i think for his home theater for with two ava 18's and it hit 126 db in the house so imagine what one would do in car with 9 cf ported ...yee haww but whos got the room for that lol

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 317
hey do you guys think a avalanche ( although mine is 15 but it has the same power handling as the 18) could take a Jl 1000/1 (around 1200 watts or more rms) in a ported box? i would really like to run that amp but i might have to get a zapco 750.2

originally i was going to run a 500/1 but decided it wasnt enough 8-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1920
just set the gains right and your good.....ive seen posts saying they can def handle more than they are rated

Silver Member

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 310
i got enough room for about 30cf if needed lol, but i think that might be to much box for 1 18

Gold Member

Post Number: 1921
tell ya in a sec

Gold Member

Post Number: 1922
nope youd be fine and you would port it to 20 hz

Gold Member

Post Number: 1923
thats before displacements 9 cf.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1924
two 4 ich ports 15.25 inches deep and your off to the races lol at 9cf net

Silver Member

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 311
sounds good to me, where do i order ports at? i really would rather not use pvc

Gold Member

Post Number: 1925
heres a comment from others and chad as well with your woofer

So I currently have a Brahma 15 ported to about 30hz and about 800 watts rms going to it. I want a change, and with that change hopefully more output. Enter the avalanche 18. It is the first sub I have gotten excited about in a long time I think. I want one in my car. I would be offering the 18 somewhere around 5 cubic feet sealed and 800 watts. This is all in the trunk of my very heavily dynamated 1990 volvo 740 sedan. My car is very thick in general and getting good output has always been a challenge.

My questions is this. How would that compare to the Brahma set up I have now? I know that is a fairly open ended question and there is not exact answer, but what are some generalizations I could expect. Also are they available now? I would not be getting one until mid may.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BKOLFO401-07-2005, 10:49 AM
Give me until next week, and I will give you my thoughts. I had a XXX 15, currently I am using an Avalanche 15, and I have an Avalanche 18 on the way. Going to try it in 4.5 ft. The box is currently ported, tuned to 29-30 Hz. If that does not work for the 18, I will seal up the port. If I do not like it, I will go back to the XXX 15 and use the 18 in a 13 ft^3 sonotube I have out in the garage!!!

Did you get the email I sent you on the Tumult?

Brian

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chad Kuypers01-08-2005, 12:14 AM
Comparing our own drivers to that of another manufacturer is always a bit tricky. :-) I don't have a Brahma 15 here to measure directly so I could only guess. After running a couple of simulations through LEAP, it seems that the Brahma would have the edge above 35-40 Hz and the Avalanche would have the edge below that point. This is factoring in a ported enclosure for the Brahma 15 and a sealed enclosure for the Avalanche 18 as per your preferences mentioned above. Ported enclosures tend to have more maximum output. However, the Avalanche 18 does sweep 6.5+ Liters of air. :-)

It's worth mentioning that I had the Avalanche 18 in my car for the last two days in an enclosure that was about the same size as what you are proposing. I basically took my 4.6 cubic foot sealed enclosure from my home theater and stuck it into my car. Trying to describe the output or sound quality of a subwoofer in words is usually a futile act. I will just say that the low frequency output was absolutely stunning and seemed to go down forever. I felt like my head was going to pop.

As Brian mentioned, he will be trying out an Avalanche 18 very soon. I look forward to hearing his impressions. The Avalanche 18 has a lot of efficiency centered at a much lower frequency range than nearly any other subwoofer I know of. It plays very loud in the lowest registers because that was how it was designed. I can't wait to hear what Brian thinks. :D

Chad Kuypers
Ascendant Audio

Gold Member

Post Number: 1926
and another from others

I am running a single Avalanche 18 in place of a XXX 15. Both were on the RE35.1 (1500 watts), and the Avalanche 18 is much louder. I could listen to the XXX all day at full volume, but the Avalanche is too much for more than short periods of time for me. . .

You might model and see what you think about porting the 5 ft^3 box. My 18 is in 4.35 ft^3 ported with 7.75" diameter port tuned to about 30 Hz (it was the XXX box; I just opened the hole up to fit the 18). I was surprised how good it sounds. I was planning on building a new box around 6 ft^3, but after listening to this box a couple of weeks, I don't see a need for more.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 318
wow so that guy had 1500 watts rms going to his avalanche? or was the impedence diferent so it was 750 watts? ... and about the Jl1000/1 ... that makes me so happy that i can run that lol... i will definetly need help with the gains and things though. hopefully some1 on here can help me. and one more question for you sean you seem quite intelligent. i currently have 4 ga wire. if i rewire the alternator and ground from battery and stuff.... and then put 2 4ga wires to the back will that be good enough (aka equal to 1 0ga)? i will also have a batcap 800 back there and possibly a 1.2 F stinger cap if i cant sell it i might as well use it.

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 319
oh one more thing sorry. subs can handle more power in a port4ed box over a sealed correct?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us