Finally Got My System... But The Lights Still Dim.

Bronze Member
Username: Swantlaphoenix

Tucson, AZ

Post Number: 89
I installed a 165 amp alternator. A Three farad cap. I'm running a 12" X.x.X. with a Ed Nine.1. The batter meter still goes down to like 10 when Im at a stop. I know the alternator isnt spining as fast and thats y but is that ok? Otherwise I am utterly amazed with the nine.1 and the x.x.x. I love this for my firsy system woo!

Bronze Member

Tucson, AZ

Post Number: 92
Anyone!

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2849
Jeepo, did you upgrade your alternator wire, ground and engine to chassis? Without those 3, your amps won't be getting full power.
If your battery is reading 10v, then you better stop before it dies.

Bronze Member

Tucson, AZ

Post Number: 93
alternator wire yes. No on the groud wires and engine ti chassis. I have no idea what or where to begin with that. Any help?

Bronze Member

Tucson, AZ

Post Number: 94
do I simply get a 4 guage wire and run it from the negitive side of the battery to the chassis?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 1865
your ground is just as important as your alternator wire ....ive actually beeen told that current actually flows through the ground first different from what youd expect ...this is an auto machinic who i respect so i dont no if thats true or not but i value his input....as far as the big three ive been told by our shop in town that doing the big three is just as good as adding a capacitor in some cases

Gold Member

Post Number: 1866
ps small wiring can cause current loss ...less current equals less power at the speaker...as the saying goes your only as strong as your weakest link

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3881
"your ground is just as important as your alternator wire ....ive actually beeen told that current actually flows through the ground first different from what youd expect"

It does, current flows from the negative terminal to the positive terminal. Both the positive flow theory and the negative flow theory (they're still considered theories) are used today, but the negative flow is accepted more widely now, but it only applies to certain things. Electronics students are quickly taught to conclude that electric currents are solely a flow of negative particles, and that appears in many if not most textbooks, but the truth is that in many situations, electric currents can really be a flow of positive particles. In other situations the flows are negative particles. And sometimes they're both positive and negative flowing at once, but in opposite directions. The true direction of the flowing particles depends on the type of conductor. In non-liquid metals, only electrons flow. In ionic conductors (such as a battery, humans, or other living organisms), there can be a flow of both positive and negative atoms simultaneously. An example would be if a human poked his finger into the anode/flyback section of a television and got electrocuted. Electrons don't flow through your body in that case, because the electric charges in a human body are entirely composed of charged atoms. During this electrocution, it was these atoms which flowed along as an electric current. The electric current was a flow of positive sodium and potassium atoms, negative chlorine, and numerous other more complex positive and negative molecules. During the electric current, the positive atoms flowed in one direction, while the negative atoms simultaneously flowed in the other. Back to the real topic, though, outside the battery (wiring, components), it is only negative to positive current flow. The current flow is simply recognized as being positive to negative, but that isn't really true.

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1209
Its best to just view current as flowing through both the power and ground wires in a loop. As a convention positive current flows from a higher voltage potential(+) to a lower one(-).

It doesn't really matter to us what actually happens on a subatomic level. Just remember that current has to flow through both power and ground and you are limited by conductor size equally for both parts of the circuit.

Upgrading just your power wire will help and so will just upgrading your ground, but upgrading both is even better. Also its really important that you have a good ground. A lot of times a bad ground can account for most of the voltage drop experienced in a power "circuit".

-Fishy

Gold Member

Post Number: 1879
thanks guys a much appreciated educational experience and conformation...again science intregues me to think i hated it in school lol

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1216
Science?

Ok Current, "I", is defined as dQ/dt or the rate at which a charge flows in a circuit. Since the charge on an electron is negative, whenever there's a voltage inbalance(potential) this charge does in fact flow from the negative terminal to the positive terminal in order to attempt to stabilize this inbalance.

Still in SCIENCE current flowing from pos to neg, by convention is considered positive. So an electron's charge flows from negative to positive but current flows from positive to negative. Why? I guess it has something to do with the math. If the charge on an electron was positive then they'd both be the same.

Then again "positive" and "negative" are just conventions as well used by us lowly humans in our feeble attempts to understand the universe.

Me? The only thing I know for sure is Power EQ's sound like crapola.

:-)

-Fishy

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1217
[edit] actually "voltage inbalance(potential)" should read "charge inbalance(voltage potential)".

Took my last Physics course in 1984.

:-)

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Tucson, AZ

Post Number: 97
Haha good info here, but my question got left out. To upgrade my ground do I get a 4 gauge wire and run it from my batter to chassis

Bronze Member
Username: Car_bangs

Post Number: 86
with my last car i replaced the battery and the alternator and the lights still dimmed. I bang my car in to the shop to get electrical test it was just fine. so the last thing i could think of was spark plugs and wires. changed them and it was the end of my dimming. the transmission went out a week later though
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us