Wiring a 4 Ohm DVC to a 4 OHM VC

Username: Nihilicide

Post Number: 3
I'm going to be hooking up an Infinity 12 DVQ 4 ohm dual voice-coil sub along with an Infinity perfect 10.1 4 ohm sub to a Kicker 600.1. If I wire them up normally, it'd give a 1.33 ohm load...not good.

Is it okay to hook up just ONE of the voice coils on the DVQ, so it's just 4 ohms, then the 10.1 is 4 ohms, so I'm running a 2 ohm load on the amp?

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 768
dont mix subs w/ different voice coils...it just doesnt work that way.

Post Number: 4
Well, electricity *does* work that way, but that wasn't my question. I just want to know if you can hook up just ONE of the voice coils on the dual voice coil amp to make it 4 ohms instead of 2?

Silver Member
Username: Audiophile

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 130
What he's trying to tell you, and so am I, is that it isn't a good idea. Besides that, you shouldn't mix subs period. All subs dont sound the same, nor do they have the same power handling, etc... That's gonna be one phucced up system if you ignore the advice given

Post Number: 5
the 10 inch sub is in a custom enclosure between the driver/passenger seat. the 12 will be in the trunk. I'm just going to get another amp.

Big D
Unregistered guest
if you gotem, amp em....wire it parelel-series
it is against "audiophile" practices, but like I said AMP it if you got it

Silver Member
Username: Audiophile

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 135
...I really hope "Big D"is a troll. WTF is parelel-series wiring? Parallel OR Series is one thing, but I'm not quite sure what it is you're trying to get at here.

If you're bent on using both subs, I reccommend getting 2 amps. If I were you, I would just get another 10" kappa perfect. I have a DVQ and they sound great, but the Kappas are better.

Username: G3nocd3

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 9
IT WILL SOUND LIKE STRAIGHT S$#T. Trust me. Dont mix sizes and sub brands. Even different sub models from same brand. Each sub is unique with its q. In other words how accurately it hits the with actual music. If you mix a 10 and a 12 they wont drop at the same time. So do your self a favor, save up and buy a 2nd 12 or a 2nd 10. Dont mix subs. and you will be fine. Oh also if you mix an uneven ohm. like a 4 ohm dvc and a 2dvc it will make power unstable which can equal blowing the subs and frying the amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us