New Kicker vs. Older kicker

jake winstead
Unregistered guest
is the newer kicker(comp cvr 2005 model,about 400wrms) going to be worth the extra 50/60$ over the older (2003 model/all black/150w rms)

btw i want to get 2 12's so thats what those prices/specs are for^^^ it'll be about 160$ for the olderones with box vs. 210$ for the newer ones with box

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1624
Yes, the new 05 cvr's are really nice, sq... with a little spl.

jake winstead
Unregistered guest
so worth the extra 50060$?? also the downside to that is now im have to get a 700wrms amp rather then about a 250wrms because of the difference(new sub-400w rms/old kicker 150wrms) so any ideas on a cheap amp that puts out a continous 700w

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3203
dont listen to taylor, hes a poohead lol! but no i disagree, i would MUCH MUCH rather have the older kicker then the new ones, i HATE the enw ones, no new advantages except a voice coil upgrade and look like some piece of crap, and i belive the older ones get MUCH louder and sound MUCH better, i havent owned the new ones, but ive installed some and i hate them compared to my old ones

Silver Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 590
jake i think you have the subs mixed up. In 2003 kicker made a COMP sub that was all black. The comp sub and the comp vr sub are 2 different subs. The 2003 model compvr sub had like a khaki color to it. ith a black dustcap.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3206
the vr has a logo on the front tas well

jake winstead
Unregistered guest
can you find a link or something so i can see what it looks like??

Silver Member

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 592
2003 comp vy sub- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39777%26item%3D5770549624 %26

Anonymous

find it yourself you lazy c.u.m guzzler!

jake winstead
Unregistered guest
yea the ones i were looking at were the C12's

should i stick to ebay for the cheapest ways to get that comp vr sub?? (it's not going to be much difference between the 03 comp vr and newer 2005 comp vr so should i still go with the older ones?)

jake winstead
Unregistered guest
also is there any other kind of sub( 2 12"s) that would be better/ or cheaper but same quality as these subs/??

I've noticed RF P2 2 12" for about 160 shipped

Silver Member

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 593
naw kicker vr's would kill the p2's in spl and sq. It depends on which you would like. do you like teh older cones or the newer ones. Their basically the exact same sub, besides the voice coil upgrade in the 05' version.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3208
the older ones are more reliable. simple as that lolm, and rf p3's t1's and t2s are the only ones worth buying

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1631
Sub, do you know what you are really talking about? The new CVR's sound better, and get louder... I know, I've heard both. This is from personal experence.
The JL w3's for $180 a piece will destroy the new/old CVR's. Also people are talking about the 12 Atlas for $149 a piece, but I haven't personally heard them so I can't say much.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1632
Lol, "RF P3's, T1's, and T2's are the only ones worth buying." are you sure about that? What about the TRF's, and the RFD's? lol haha

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3209
where the hell did the atlas and jl subs cmoe into play, and first of all yes, ive owned 2 sets of old comp vr's, 2 15's and 2 10's, i have installed 4 sets of the new comp vr's, 1 pair of 10's 2 pairs of 12's 1 single 12 and a single 10, and i know what im talking about this is also from personaly expieriece, 2 of my 10 inch comp vr's from awhile ago got MUCH louder than the new ones and sounded better doing it, dont try to correct me, i work with tons of equipment i know what im tlaking about, and also for your satisfaction, one of my good good friend has 2 10 inch w3v2's in his dodge truck with the jl box that fits his truck under the seat, they are amazing subs, but my 10 inch comp vr's did get alot louder than his can and are underestimated, ist also because i build my own enclosures well and used whatwas needed tod o it, but dont try and correct me with this and im saving up for an atlas right now just to test it, along with an ava. OK!

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3210
yea those to, but i mena for a decent budget those are the only ones that will compare with the comp vrs relatize to size and everything

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3212
and i did emphiseze ALOT to much int hat lol, whenever i said somen gets ALOT louder, it realls means, slightly lol

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1635
I have heard both, and my apinion is the new sound better, but people hear different things. The best way to figure it out is to try to go to a shop and try to hear them for you'reself.
"where in the hell did the Atlas, and Jl's come in to play?"
Sub, you need to learn how to read.:-)
Jake, "also is there any other kind of sub 2 12's that would sound better/cheaper and same quality as these subs/?" that's where it came from.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3215
OH HAHA, yea im kinda you know out of it, but your totally right, everyone hears differentthings, and everything was in different cars and setups so on and so forth lol. But yea a 12 atlas would be nice for him that would be equal/better to 2 comp vrs and wouldnt need as big of an amp or anything

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1637
Yup, and cheaper!:-) Thats something everyone loves.

jake winstead
Unregistered guest
so 1 12" Atlas is going to sound louder/cleaner then 2 12" comp vrs??? not to sound smart or anything but how do you guys know have you heard one or have one???

but yea cheaper/better soundes real good right now... lol i just can't seem to get it how 800w rms vs 300w rms and the 300 is louder/cleaner

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3217
well see thats your first real rookie mistake, ill explain why. Alot of people automatically assume more watts is better, bigger is better yada yada. But watts mean nothing when it comes to subs. You reallly need to look more at motor strength, xmax, air displacement, all around build quality.

the 1 12 inch atlas obivoulsy is going to have less surface area than 2 12 inch comp vr's right? lol yea. But lets see how it can still outperform it. First of all, it uses an awesome motor, the XBL^2 motor, very good beafy motor. It also has 18 mm of xmax which means is going to move a good amount of air. nothing compared to large spl subs, but its still quite a hefty amount for a low cost sub. The kicker i couldnt find its xmax, but its less, and i think both combined is still less than a single 12 atlas. it has a 47 oz magnet which is part of the motor strength and isnt relaly that big of a magnet, i couldnt really find any great specs on the comp vr's, sorry if this doesnt help

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1640
Lol yup, I think the CVR has like 9 mm of xmax or something.
The Atlas will use the power it more efishently. It is kind of like JL, they get really loud, but they only need a few hundred watts.
Like the w6v2 for instance, it only needs 500 watts.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3220
yea really, and thats one heck of a sub, but there are also some subs that take ALOT of power but will kill you for example MT=6,000 watts

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3821
The CVR 12" has an Xmax of 11.5mm, and a BL of 18.3, which is a much more powerful motor than the Atlas has(just by strength, not BL curve over the entire excursion range), Atlas at best has 11.7, that's wired for a low QTS spec, higher QTS results in even less motor strength. The 12" CVR also has a good bit more surface area than the Atlas, 531 cm^2 compared to the Atlas having 481 cm^2. So the CVR has a 10% surface area advantage, and the Atlas has around a 35% excursion advantage. But the CVR has a stronger motor and larger surface area, making it inclined to make more SPL in a ported enclosure and capable of reaching more excursion when around the tuned frequency due to the stronger motor. Xmax doesn't tell the whole story. Really I'm not convinced that an Atlas would be much louder than a CVR if at all, of course depending on the enclosures you'd be comparing, but I'd put money down that it won't be louder or even match up to two of them. Xmax is only good if you're going sealed, infinite baffle, or aperiodic. If you're not, then forget xmax altogether and look at the motor strength and the surface area. You aren't going to reach xmax ported or bandpass unless you use ungodly amounts of power or run the sub below tuning.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3222
well i was considering sealed, i sually do

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3825
Most people do consider sealed as it is the most common enclosure, I was just saying that ported will differ, most people after more SPL consider or go ported.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3223
excellent point, that lecture was nice, taught me alot about comps

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1649
Lol, I think Jonathan just put us back in our place.
Well, looks like it's back to the CVR's... or maybe the w3's!:-)
I know the w3's get really loud, and can handle way more power than they say.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3232
yea thats true, but i still would take the atlas lol, somen noone has haha

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1659
Lol, thats no Joke. All you hear now days is JL this, and JL that!:-)

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3261
i personally despise JL, because of personal expieriences, i love there products, i love everything about them, but i HATE the peopl who sell and rnu them around me, they all pis me off

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1660
Lol, yup. The bad thing is, there's a reason JL is so popular, there a great company, and make great subs/amps

jake winstead
Unregistered guest
Okay... so it sounds like it's not really going to make a to big of difference which way i go and actually is leaning on getting the cvr's-- so i was just wondering what people thought on these?? any experience??

and do you think 170$ for 2 12" is good deal?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us