What would be better for SPL competition? please help me out real quick

Anonymous

okay my friend wants to go for only SPL, not SQ. he was originally wanting 2 L7s with a kx1200.1 but i talked him into bigger and better things. i was thinking of having him go either DD or RE. if he went DD i was thinking of 2 12 inch 9500s with 2 PPI 1500 watt amps. or maybe just one 15 inch 9900 with that amp. if he wanted to go RE it would probably be one 15 inch MT with 2 of those PPi 1500 watt amps. which do you think would be the best setup for SPL. lets say all are in a great ported enclosure tuned to about 40-45 Hz. as i will be calling up either RE or DD to get the specs for the box. thanks for your help i really appreciate it.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2729
either one of those will be very loud I would just tune the box a little higher but you will find out exactly what to tune it to when you talk to them.

Silver Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 596
yeh i would tune the box higher if all he wantds to do is go straight spl. Or find out the resonance frequency of your vehicle and tune the enclousre to that. But i would either go with the DD 9900 or the RE MT. Both will kick A$$

Gold Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 1257
out with the old and in the with the new...go with some funky pups!

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1644
I think DD has my vote.

Anonymous

alright now since you guys have put your input on which to get... thanks by the way, what SPL numbers do you think are capable. the whole car would have sound deadener. would it be possible to reach 155 DB with any of those setups. and say the box is tuned to what the campany says to tune it to. i think it is quite possible but i want your opinion. thanks

Silver Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 604
yeh 155 is obtainable with that setup as long as you know what you're doing

Anonymous

my home boi Q Simms pulled 158.2 with 2 13 inch jl audio w7 in a honda crx and that was at the local car tunes not a spl comp. he don't think that its hittin hard enuff to put in a comp.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1647
Do you know what meeter they were using to read... you said that it wasn't a spl comp, that has a lot to do with the db's you hit.

Bronze Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 56
I gaurantee that was on an A/C.

Now, as far as the set up....
I would go with DD, the quantity, size, and model would be relative to the vehicle your using, since you havent metioned it I can't recommend woofers yet. However, If he wants to use 2 amps I can gaurantee him the best amps for the job. The SPL Z1X-3000 amp at around 300 bucks is the one to go with, 2 of them actually.
These amps are strappable, they are mono 1 ohm amps so it is recommended to run them a 2 ohm mono load when strapped. But guess what?, you can run them down to 1 (or .5 each) without any problems. The thing is you've got what called "impedence rise", the amp might see a .5 load at rest but the sub may produce twice as resistence while being driven.
So in short use those amps strapped at 1 ohm mono.
Use 2 9512 or 9515 that are dual 4's
Use 4 3512 or 3515 that are dual 2's
I used two of these amps for a few shows last season and did a 156 with 4 3512 d2's in a rex on the T/L, the amps will take a beating, in fact, if you know what your doing you can run the amps even lower than that. I didnt use them at finals only because of thier high 4 ohm rating.
I can say with confidence they are capable of doing over 3000 watts rms each.
As far as the subs handling it, dont worry, We've all burped DD's with 10 times the rms power rating jess puts on them. have fun
If you want, tell us what kind of car it is and we'll try to give you an idea of what your set up should be like.

Anonymous

KICKER WILL WIN ANY SPL COMP TWO 18 SOLO X THAT WILL PUT U WITH THE BIG BOYS

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3244
shut up

Bronze Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 76
ive seen a site were 2 18inch kicker soloxs hit 169.3 so the solo's will get very loud

Bronze Member
Username: Car_bangs

Post Number: 23
why its the truth u know it sure it sounds like shizit but spl is what he looking for let him figure that out just like i did the hard way to learn is the best way

Anonymous

if doubling the subs and watts give you 6 db then he was hitting 163 db with 1 solo x? i doubt that.

but about real life.... he doesnt have a car yet actually so thats why i did not mention what kind of vehicle. i know it would probably help out a lot. sorry i cant say yet.

my hypothesis is that a 17 inch 9900 with 2000 watts rms will be louder than a solo x with 5000 rms... how many people are with me? probably a lot. DD subs are of much better build than mass produced kicker... sorry pal... if the 17 isnt louder then it is styill much more eficient at the price and how many watts

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1653
I totally agree, DD is way better than kicker's.

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3251
i third that

Bronze Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 77
i'll agree dd is alot better than kicker, i'm just stating what i seen on the internet were some guy had 2 18inch solox's and was hitting that

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1671
Lol, what about the DD 9917, RE MT's, Rockford TRF2212, Eclipse TI Pro's. There a lot of subs that are loud,/louder than them.

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1371
you could try shocker sigs if you can find them, or an atomic extinct level event 15, or the dd 9915, lots of choices treo makes some good stuff also.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us