What size sub is best for SQ?

Anonymous

I want the best SQ possible what size sub fits this protocol the best and why?

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 182
10" subs for sure, they are a lot cleaner but youll probably want 2 of them since 10" aren't that loud (at least most arent).

Bronze Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 69
Size doesn't matter.

Depends on what you are using it for. Is it for rap, rock, country, jazz, classical, electronica, home theater?

Each one of these types of applications require a different driver. For example for classical you need a driver that has a stiff cone that responds very fast and remains very true. Rap, electronica, home theater, and a few others require a driver that can reproduce low frequencies at high volumes. In this case the speed of the driver's transient response isn't as critical as long as it is loud and gets low bass.

You can find good 8" drivers that can reach as low as 30Hz (in a vented box). The drivers response will not be as fast(compared to a sealed box), or will an 8 give you extreme volumes, but it will do just fine for low power applications. An 18" driver will give you the volume and the low frequencies, but will lag when it comes to speed.

In my opinion I have found that 12" drivers are almost an ideal size when it comes to subwoofers. This size gives you the extended range for lower frequencies and it is relatively light enough (the cone's mass) to respond at an acceptable speed.

Anonymous

I was thinking along the lines of competition.What is the typical size usage?
What type of music do they use in SQ contest also? I guess it varies?

Anonymous

Get a pair of comp maybe some 6 1/2 they will be great for SQ contes.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3795
Also keep in mind that the size of the subwoofer isn't all that determines a subwoofers performance in SQ. A bigger sub isn't "slower", but its resonance occurs at a lower frequency and larger subwoofers typically has a higher inductance since big subs are usually designed for more excursion. The added mass also tends to increase overthrow of the driver, making the driver harder to control and requiring a good box and a good sub design to combat the problem. All those issues combined are why people generally consider 10" subs as being "tighter" than a 15" for example, but it usually boils down to the application and, VERY importantly, the enclosure and other equipment used. I prefer 12" subs for all around depth and SQ, but many people prefer 10", 15", 8", and so forth. You won't get a definite answer on this one, best thing to do is go out and see what you prefer. It is highly dependant on your front stage as well. If you had a powerful 3 way front stage with 8" woofers, you could get away with a ported 15" to provide low end and get excellent SQ and SPL. With a more meek 6.5" or 5.25" set, you would want to consider something like a 10" sub since it will transition better in both SQ at that frequency and also the volume level of the drivers.

Bronze Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 70
If you are interested to know what they use in competition, then go ahead and go to one. I think you will have alot of fun. Actually I think you will have a blast. Just remember, sneak a peak here and there to see whats going on behind the scenes. Ask alot of questions. Talk straight to the horse, don't bother with by-standers. I think you are on the right path. I sense that you are a little edgy because you want to know what to expect before you get involved, but don't worry, you will do just fine.

Cmon man... DO IT !!!

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3797
"I was thinking along the lines of competition.What is the typical size usage?
What type of music do they use in SQ contest also? I guess it varies?"

You'll get more varied results in a competition than you would on this forum in all honesty. Many competitors use many different setups. You'll see 2 way 6.5" components, midbasses with horns, 10" subs as a midbass combined with horns and 15" subs for low end, 3 way setups with a larger subwoofer, there are just so many different ways of achieving good sound quality. Remember that a competitor has to not only have a great sounding vehicle, but in competitions such as IASCA, you are judged mainly on installation, execution of that install, a safely done install, SPL, and many other factors. A competitor has to get creative in many cases. You'll also see a ton of different enclosures used in competition, sealed, ported, aperiodic, infinite baffle, transmission line, even a bandpass every now and then. The main thing you need to focus on with any audio system isn't just the equipment, but how well it's implemented. Good equipment can still sound bad if it's poorly planned or poorly executed. You can get great results with many different setups, and that is one thing a competition will show you. It is highly dependant on the other equipment you use and how you installed it. That is the biggest thing to consider, it is all a chain. Mixneffect has a great point, I also encourage you to go to a competition and see what you like. You will learn a lot about not only installation and equipment used, but also you will get an idea of what you like the most and you'll have a basis to work from. It's a situation where there is more than one way to skin a cat, you just have to choose yours.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us