Porting a box

SLM89
Unregistered guest
can i port a box that my subs came in without making a new box. i see there are different sizes for ported and not ported boxes. can i just put a hole in the box?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2496
chances are your box if it is made for your subs it will be too small if you were to do that. If it is just a box you bought and threw any old sub into it it might work well what size is the box and what sub is it?

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2786
haha u can do that, but what subs are you running, model numbers sizes, years if u can please, also what size box is it, if there are2 subs, are they in seperate chambers or ONE BIG BOX with no divider in it, how many cubic feet per chamber or how many for the whole box, then i can helop you

SLM89
Unregistered guest
i dono that stuff bout the box, but will 2 12" infinitys (1230W) be better in a ported box or not

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2510
if its built to specs they will sound good in both, I cant tell you which will be better its all prefference. I preffer sealed over ported but thats me.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2800
SLM, infinity's are built for sq, stick with sealed

SLM89
Unregistered guest
thanks man... how should i hook this up:

two Infinity 1230W (1200W peak, 300W RMS)

to a

Infinity 300W mono class d amp

SLM89
Unregistered guest
can u explain the ohms to me

SLM89
Unregistered guest
can u explain the ohms to me

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2527
whats the model # on that amp? I will explain how you figure out ohms in a minute afer I look up your amp.

SLM89
Unregistered guest
i cant find a model number for that amp... all the sites i go to say the info is not available. Im getting a whole package.. 2 infinity 1230w's, that Infinity 300W mono class d amp and a box for $500. i type that amp in on google (Infinity 300W mono class d amplifier) and i get nothing.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2529
ok its prob the REF311A that amp ok and your subs are dual 4ohm voice coil. With that VC configuration and that amp you have 1 option to run those subs, parellel - series at 4ohms. Now the problem with that is you will only recieve about 60watts per sub. I would return one of them if you can and run one of them, wire it down to 2ohms using parellel-parellel wiring and get the full 300 watts to 1 sub it will sound much better then the two subs trust me. here is how to wire up your sub to that amp. http://jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/index.html#1dvcs

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2818
i fu havent gotten it yet, for 400 bucks ill give you my interfire IB2900C amp with 2 10 inch infiniti kappa components and a sealed box to specs, but one of the cones is a repair not perfect condition but works perfect lol

SLM89
Unregistered guest
i ordered it already.. should i sell my amp and buy a new one? how much u think i can sell it for (brand new). any suggestions for amps to run this? (with prices)

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2821
ill give u ten bucks for it

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2531
lets do this how much do you have to spend on a amp?

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2823
what do u have to say...Mr Box

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2535
I am going to bed thats what I have to say

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2826
haha P*SSY! just kidding, im sure ru will be glad to see u in there

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2827
i guess ill fill in for Mr. Box tonight

SLM89
Unregistered guest
awesome.. hey subfan, i saw ur drawing of the pexiglass and fiberglass trunk for ur car on that other post... check this out..

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2836
i dont see anything lol

SLM89
Unregistered guest
damn! i cant send it. it was a drawing of a old car with 76" jl's sticking out of it :-) damn im retarded eh? :-p

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2844
u cna send it, just reformat it to jpeg instead of bitmap

SLM89
Unregistered guest
dont wanna, maybe tomorrow. i wanna go to sleep, i was paintballing all day and i got pecked off like 12 times in the head and twice in the junk. i need sleep, ill talk to ya tomorrow.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2863
nity nity

SLM89
Unregistered guest
hey hey people.. if those Infinitys are good for sq, if i port a box for them, wont they still sound alright but still be louder?

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2899
they will sound alright, but if u want teh best of what those subs are built for a nice tune in a box can be good, but id stick with sealed lol

SLM89
Unregistered guest
so with those subs, they will be louder in a sealed box than in a ported box, or just have better sq?

SLM89
Unregistered guest
and wait..... ^^^ James said those subs are dual 4ohm voice coil, but i dont think they are

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2901
sq=sealed most of the time, spl=ported

SLM89
Unregistered guest
the infinity 1230's are svc and the 1232's are dvc so tell me if this sounds right...

two infinity 1230's and a infinity REF311A =

The 1230's are svc - 4 Ohm Subwoofers: 2 Ohms (2 ohm load wired in parallel) that amp puts out 347 watts at 2 ohms, which is good, right?

SLM89
Unregistered guest
by the way, i want spl, but those subs are good enough to have pretty good sq and also have good spl if ported, right?

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2903
if u want spl port it to like 35 hrtz and that will keep SOME sq lol

SLM89
Unregistered guest
ok, thanks. was i right about the 1230's being svc and how to wire them?

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2904
i dont know if ur right,i dont know and not in the mood to loook lol

SLM89
Unregistered guest
n e 1 else not a lazy ass that can help me with this? lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help