Amp draw?

Username: 1ohm

Dunnellon, Florida U.S.A

Post Number: 9
I was looking into purchasing a couple PPI PCX2400's to push 2 x x x 12's.Does anybody know how many amps these amplifiers draw?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7649
entirely depends on the load they're presented.

Dunnellon, Florida U.S.A

Post Number: 10
I have a 93 F350 fullsize 7.3 diesel 2 batterys and a 140 amp alternator.Lets say I add two more batterys.What would happin at fullbore.total amp draw?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2418
OK if you were pulling 140amps I guess you want to kow what would happen? Well for a very short second your battery's would be able to compensate but if it was over an extended period of time your battery's would die, then your alternator would cook out possably causing your cpu to fry and worst case FIRE in your rig so I dont recomend it my friend.

Bronze Member

Dunnellon, Florida U.S.A

Post Number: 11
I think the two PPI csx2400's total amperage would be 320.Add a pcx2125 at 60 for the components.thats 380 amps..at total amp draw.What do I need to do to upgrade my charging system to make this work?Will the amperage from the amplifires go up and down with the volume?I think My best bet is to go with ARC xxk 2500 amps they have a power save mode when the engine is not running and they only draw 90 amps but they only claim to produce 1050 watts and my x x x 12's are rated at 1600 rms

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7678
for class D amplifiers, just take the RMS wattage and drop the first zero from the end.
2500 watt amp, 250A of current.
that's your 80% efficiency @ 12 VDC
class AB amps are 50-60% efficient so you'd need to divide wattage by 12 then * by 1.5 or so

Bronze Member

Dunnellon, Florida U.S.A

Post Number: 21
AHH! thanks Glass wolf.I've done alot with car audio over the years but never this extreme.I bought a vlx-400 and learned a whole lot about efficiency.Could be worse though.The experience is great even if by trial and error.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7702
if the PPI 2400 puts out 2400 watts @ 2 ohms..
the triple X subs are dual 2 ohm subs, so 4 ohms each in series on the coils.
that means 1200 watts for each amp.
class D so 80% efficiency.
you're talking 120A of current draw per amp @ 4 ohms if they put out 1200 watts @ 4 ohms each.

Bronze Member

Dunnellon, Florida U.S.A

Post Number: 28
I purchased this bayboy and went a little overboard..I was lookin to run some a/b power to 2 triple x's sealed in my old f350 crewcab!I want an extreme (sq) daily driver.That I could run at normal levels and then on the weekends crank it up at the Pits.I really think I am going to go for two arc audio xxk2500's.They are only 1050 watts apeice.I'm wondering how they will do?Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us