Looking for 8" sub of my dreams

Bronze Member
Username: Bdb_86

Post Number: 12
i am trying to find an 8" sub of any brand that is under $120.00/each and only take like 200-600 Watts peak 4 ohm and a frequency response of 30hrz or less to 150hrz or more could any one point me to the sub of my dreams or somthing close to it

Anonymous

the only 8" sub of your dreams could possibly be the 8w7. It is 300W rms. But it is more than $120. If you want the sub of your dreams, save up and buy that one. It has a 3 year warranty and you will never be dissapointed. Trust me man. Dont go with anything else. Take a look at it at www.jlaudio/subwoofers/8W7.html. You'll fall in love with it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
i have a friend that is big on the w7's and i do love the looks of this sub and saving up a little more isnt that much of a problem but i cant find any specs or pricing on this sub and i cant get the data sheet to work

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 1263
get Adobe Acrobat Reader
www.adobe.com

go to www.jlaudio.com
download the tech spec sheet from there by going to products > subwoofers > W7 series > 8W7

that has all of the specs of the sub.

try www.eBay.com for a low price on one.
otherwise the only way to get a legitimate JL Audio product is from an authorized brick and mortar store.
JL doesn't authorize any internet sales, and buying on-line will void the warranty (3 year).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
well i am still looking so if there is any thing other than the w7 that any one thinks would be close to what i am looking for please fill me in and i got the page to open i did have acrobat reader i dont know what was going on

Bronze Member
Username: Yhammack

Post Number: 19
I know elemental is going through some changes, but this is a SWEET deal. I'd jump on that while you can with your budget.... $185, -$40 discount.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/miva/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code= e8A44&Category_Code=ASD

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
looks great and its more into my price range now i have 2 speakers to keep in mind but i still am looking :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
please people i am still looking for the sub of my dreams so if any one has an opinion please let me know

Gold Member

Post Number: 1296
eD has great subs.
not a bad choice at all for the money

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
well now so far the sad thing is is that sony exploid 8" subs well more like just woofers have met my requierments they are rated 30hrz to 1000hrz witch is preaty high i dont know if that well afect any thing but they do get lower than the E.D. and the JL Audio 8w7's subs but yet are not any were nere the quality but for 2 is $109.95, i more than likly am not going to go with these subs right away because they are just sony exploid but what i am working on now and im not going to explain why i am do this but i am trying to make a box like this that well mount in my 6x9 hols that have been cut to hold an 8" speaker this idea should help hit thoes higher tones and with out taking the space for my tweeters and yet i am going to put my crunch 8" in these boxes and then the other subs that i get well go in my trunk
my idea

Gold Member

Post Number: 1379
"[sony subs] do get lower than the E.D. and the JL Audio 8w7's subs"
no. they don't. they suck.
The 8W7 will blow the sony out of the water. period. if you think otherwise, you've never heard both a sony and a W7.

30-1KHz isn't even a sub. That's more like a midbass driver. If you really want to compare the sub stats, look at Fs and Xmax since we already know driver cone area (8") and power handling isn't really a determining factor of anything except teh amp you'll need for mechanical excursion limits.

just a few spelling corrections:
Hz (Hertz)
Sony Xplod
requirements
which
affect
anything
anywhere
likely
those

by the way, that drawing will be terrible.
never put anything in front of a sub that way.
the sub should never share airspace with anything. same reason you don't put mids or 6x9s etc in the same box as a sub either.

ralph fredgill
Unregistered guest
bryan b, i was wondering if the short bus you ride has wireless internet connections or not?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
ralph i dont know what you are talking about :S
and glasswolf i know you are realy smart but please read the question that you are going to answer better i seid about 3 times in my last question that sony expliod are not the best i have heard JL 12w7's before and i have heard the sony eploid 12" P5's before and no crap JL audio kicked its butt just not with price and i think that i forgot to ad that in the drawing that it is going to be more of a woofer idea because with the 8"speakers in the trunk i cant hear any higher bass tones and this idea well put out some low tones but not like what ever i put in the tunk but screw it im just going to go with the E.D. or some Phoenix gold subs and put my crunch's in the idea in the drawing

Bronze Member
Username: Tbone

Post Number: 18
I think you would be better off if you forget about the hard Cardboard Cylinder, and just mount the 8's. You could then mount the tweeters elsewhere, because like the others said, the pressure of the sub will likely tear the diaphram of the tweeter.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
there shouldnt be any pressure in the front of the 8" because it is all open accept the speaker grill holding the tweeter + i could box the tweeter if it does show any sign of harmfullness i am going to test this idea before using it and i have all ready cut the 6x9 hols to fit an 8" speaker that i did a long time ago and i was just going to put a 8 1/2 wide and 3" tall card board tube in front of the speaker and then mount the tweeter in front like i am doing but i was just going to have a simple sealed box in the back of the 8" but then i figured that a full tube would look better

fred
Unregistered guest
let me explain what i meant, bryan. you are a retard and i was wondering if you are able to access this forum on your laptop using wireless internet while riding on the short bus. i should have known you were slow and that i was going to have to explain that better

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Bryan, I think what everyone is trying to get across is this, everyone is in total agreement that you should not mount the tweeter in front of the sub as described in the picture! The reasons vary on this, but the one common thread is we agree it will effect the sound quality of your system, and probably harm some of your components. Look, a lot of us had to learn the hard way when installing car audio, and all we are trying to do is save all the newcomers some cash, and frustration, by offering guidance. However, expermentation is not always bad, but I usually do it with components that will not miss if they are destroyed. Have fun.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
so far i have only spent $20.00 the rest was givin to me and the more spendier stuff i wont be doing this to and just so you know, the tweeter well be on a different connection from a different amp(the CD players) and i dont get it if you can put a tweeter plus a 2 1/2" speaker in front of a 6x9 then what makes this so different the 8" speaker isnt going to be putting out that much more

Rhythm44
Unregistered guest
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/ez2rockford/ModelInfo/ModelInfo.asp?Item Key=10063585&CategoryDesc=Punch%20Subwoofers
$90, plays down to 26hz in a 1.1 ft^3 box.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
now you know what i am talking about thanks Rhythm44

fred
Unregistered guest
im sorry bryan, but you are a total moron!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
what is up every ones but you can go screw your self fred if you dont like what is being talked about here then go somwhere els

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
what ever guys im going on my own i am going to TEST the idea that i had with my crunch 8" speakers and i dont care about any thing that any one has to say the first couple poeple helped me kindly and so did rhythm44 but now poeple are just being stubid i only wanted opinions on my ideas not on me

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Bryan, the output of lower frequencies (airpressure) from a backdeck mounted (freeair) 6x9 and a sealed box mounted 8" sub are vastly different. The 8" sub will move more air, and will not have the mid's and high's mounted into the pole piece like the 6x9 for this reason. I had a pair of crunch 8's in the past, and they worked good for their size, but I am not sure if they will work great like you have they depicted. Looking at your drawing if looks as if you have the eights mounted in a tube? Am I correct? And it says that you have cut the 6z9 holes out to fit the eights. If you have cut the holes out to fit the eights, mounted from the top, how is the box going to be mounted. What kind of car? Their might be better alternatives, that will produce the sound you want, let me know.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
i see what you are saying about the free air stuff and now i get it and i never realy thought about how i was going to mount the box but the speakers are not that heavy and i think that i well use some angle joints _| you know like that and some suports under the box if i need it (i well try to make it as solid as i can)

Well this is why i have came up with this idea with the tube box...

i had my 8"crunch speakers in my back seat and they sounded ok but when they hit thoes low tones you could here them pushing the air and i thought that if i put them in the trunk they would be muffled well they wernt they got louder BUT i didnt have any high tones and i didnt like it.

More about my high tones:
i dont have any room in the front of my car for speakers because it had one of thoes 4x9's so what i have there right now is 2 3" speakers that sound ok but the sound is all in the midle from the front and in the back i had tried just putting my crunch 8" speakers in the 6x9 holes so i cut them to fit i didnt even have a CD player or amp at this point just a 40x4 tape deck and so i hooked the 8's to the deck power and had the 3" speakers in the front so now i have 2 8" holes but now i have an amp and a CD player so i put boards over the now 8" hols and put in a 6 1/4" speakers in each hole in the back and my cd player dont have a sub W control so i had to tune it down so my amp is cranked up and the tweets that i have cant handle much

well just now out of nowere i had an idea what if i got thoes sony epliod 8" p5's and set them up in my idea but only had 60hrz and up running to them and have them free air or if i put holes in front of the speaker on the sides of the box then most the sound well still be transferd + releiving presure from the tweeters.

this is my car 1979 pontiac phoenix landau

79 pontiac phoenix

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
First, hold off on the 8's. Pick up a mid/low price component set, logic, coustic, etc. (about $80.00) and cut the 4x9 holes to fit either 5 1/4's or 6 1/2's and if you think this out, you should also have room to mount the tweeter in there also. The component set will include the midbass, tweeter, and passive crossover. Run these off of the HU's front speaker outputs. Next mount the 6 1/2's you have in the back on a wood plate and mount in 8" holes you have cut. Run these off of the rear speaker outputs of your HU. OH Yeah, you might also want to put some bass blockers inline on the back speakers. Now we can work on your low end. How much can you spend, we might be able to reuse the 8's. What brand is you HU and what brand of amp?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
well so you know i only have one 4x9 hole and its in the midle of the dash if i was to cut it to fit speakers they would be external (its a weird set up) and not look very good what i was thinking is that i have the air vents by the floor in the front of my car and i could fit a 4" speaker in there but i would have to have a box behind it. i only have a pioneer deh-5 CD deck 40x4watts soon to be getting my frends alpine with built in X-over and sub W controle 60x4 watts this Cd player wont need caps (bass blockers)

Bronze Member

Bemidji, MN Usa

Post Number: 33
ok this is what i have done so far i have cut the tube to fit the speaker and i have the speaker mounted in the tube and i have sealed it all off the sub sounds great better then the one in the walmart box (both were crunch 8" speakers) and well i took a tweeter that i well be using in the idea and put it in front of the sub and it didnt push it not sure about sound waves yet though. note this well all be tested before mounted

Now this is one of two of my questions the tube is about 3/16" thick and it well be in my trunk is it necessary to have sound dampaning in side the tube like cotton fill

second question:
if i do need sound dampning i was thinking of just using rubber cement and glue some cotton fill on the walls inside the box OR my dad was talking about using car under coating witch is better

Bronze Member

Bemidji, MN Usa

Post Number: 34
please read the last message before this one

i forgot to add that i found out that my crunch 8" speakers freq. response is 36hrz to 800hrz so i can run some mid to them so they can go in my idea and then i can put somthing better in the trunk as my true subs :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us