When do i need a capacitor?

Username: Hertslad78

LondonEngland

Post Number: 2
I've sorted my first problem which no one was able to help me with. Here's the next question. When do i need a capacitor? i've got a new JBL GTO75.4 amp powering two nice 1000Watt pioneer subs. It seems to be working fine with a 60 amp feed from my two batteries. But wouldi be better off with a large capacitor? any thoughts please?

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2241
a new cap is nothing without a new alt

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1403
The only thing a cap will do is increase the amps reaction time to the sub's. If you listen to a lot of hard, fast, hitting bass, that will be the only way you might notice a slite difference.

Bronze Member
Username: Msully701

Stratford, Connecticut US

Post Number: 49
hey taylor Im putting L7's and kicker kx 1200.1 and some infinity kappas running off a kx350.2 and Ill be putting out a lot. I was thinking about getting a HO alternator Im thinking a 200amp alternator would work nice? if so happen to know prices and install prices?

Bronze Member
Username: Msully701

Stratford, Connecticut US

Post Number: 50
1997 ford probe by the way

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2260
go to www.motorcityreman.com and check it out, because adding a cap to it now will just hurt your alternator more, it will prolly be around 200-250, my 150 alt wa 230 shipped,

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1413
Lol, also check out www.4alterstart.com for HO alts. If you don't find one that will work, just give them a call and they will custom build one. I'm just guessing but it should be atleast $200/300 for the alt.

Bronze Member
Username: Krijgy

Smithfield, Virginia United states

Post Number: 88
you can contact alto on this forum somewhere, i got my 200 amp HO alt. from him for 173 shipped from florida to virginia

Bronze Member
Username: Krijgy

Smithfield, Virginia United states

Post Number: 89
ALDO sorry the guys name is ALDO

Bronze Member
Username: Atomoswav

Post Number: 18
If your maximum current draw is only 60 amps, you might be able to get away with using the stock alternator, especially if you don't turn it up to max all the time.
What kind of car do you have?

If you do get a new alternator, www.4alterstart.com is a great site, like taylor said.
Also, check eBay. Sometimes you can find what you need there.

Bronze Member
Username: Atomoswav

Post Number: 19
200 amps sounds about right to me.

Silver Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 767
Where do you guys take your HO alternators once you get them in the mail to get installed???? Local dealers around here dont install them.

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1015
My Motor City Reman I got for my Explorer used exactly the same housing as my stock one. It had a smaller pulley is all and dropped right in no problem. The hardest part will be upgrading the 6 gauge? alternator wire which I haven't done yet.

:P

-Fishy

Silver Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 768
Yeah i am gonna upgrade all my wiring to into 2gauge. I might have my uncle do it since he is a auto technican other wise where else

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7673
if you can't do the install yourself, any auto garage should be able to handle the job.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2689
wehere can i find audo

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7675
Aldo replied to a load of alternator threads in the accessories section
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums