Wiring ignition wire to battery

Unregistered guest
My igntion wire coming out of my car for the head unit doesnt work when the car is cranked or whatever so I decided to hot wire the head units ignition cable to the battery cable of the cd player. It works fine but I think it draws power constantly and I've been having issues lately with dead batteries, but I'm not sure if its just the battery.
Any ideas?

Unregistered guest
anyone?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1947
wait a second I dont understand where you wired your ignition to, did you wire it directly to your battery?

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1655
Dewayne, are you saying you wired the memory and the regular power wires together to a source that's always on?

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1948
wait a second I dont understand where you wired your ignition to, did you wire it directly to your battery?

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1949
oops I didnt mean to repeat that second post. I think he wired his ignition and his costant power together and then to the battery and in that case it will always be getting power and thats no good.

Unregistered guest
also, would anyone know how I could fix my ignition wire coming out of the dash... when I wire my head unit up as it should be, and crank up the car and try to turn it on... nothing. but when I hotwire it like I said previously with both the battery and ignition wire from the head unit going to the battery from the dash, it works but not via ignition... I can turn it on when the keys are out... which is to be expected with my wiring. But anyways, are there any common reasons that ignition wires dont function as they should, and how can I troubleshoot it?
Thanks.

Unregistered guest
???

Unregistered guest
umm... anyone?

Bronze Member
Username: Steelheadgoof

Fairfield, California US

Post Number: 12
Check all your fuses. If you have a missing fuse that seems unimportant put one in anyway. That should always be your starting point when trouble shooting. If that does not work, then you may need to run a new wire from your ignition to your HU, since your have constat power but no switch

nino
Unregistered guest
Hi,I have a problem,recently I connected a dvd player in my car but it works only until I start the engine,nevertheless I am using player for the kids at the back,driving them from school and the damn thing wouldnt work (cause of my safety) while the car is on,one of the wires is connected to the wire under the ignition,I think a break wire.Where I can connect that one so it will work while the car is on.Thanks everyone

Silver Member
Username: Spittin2rock

Post Number: 113
yeah it's gonna draw power constantly. You are gonna have to turn your cd player off manually when you shut the car off. A way that you can get around this is take your switched 12v wire from your HU and wire it to a fuse that comes on with the car like may be power windows or something of that sort. You might want to in-line a fuse in between the fuse box and your HU.

Anonymous

I have recently wired up two switch kits with LED indicators in my truck and they worked great. One kit was for my neons and the other was for my 2tv's, dvd player, and ps2. Now all of a sudden they rn't acting right. When i hit one switch the LED on the other switch comes on too, and no power is sent out to my electronics. I checked the fuses of my switch kits and they r fine. Could it have something to do with me wiring the ignition wire to the ignition wire for my head unit, like not enough power? If so where should i wire it to?

Anonymous

I have recently wired up two switch kits with LED indicators in my truck and they worked great. One kit was for my neons and the other was for my 2tv's, dvd player, and ps2. Now all of a sudden they rn't acting right. When i hit one switch the LED on the other switch comes on too, and no power is sent out to my electronics. I checked the fuses of my switch kits and they r fine. Could it have something to do with me wiring the ignition wire to the ignition wire for my head unit, like not enough power? If so where should i wire it to?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us