MTX vs Rockford

Bronze Member
Username: Bass_buster_bob

Post Number: 20
I just got a 600W max 12" mtx mzs1204 sub and it doesnt seem to kick very much. I put my friend's 12" 400W max punchZ Rockford sub in the same box mine is in and although its not as clear, it seems to have more bass i think. would the fact that i am only using a 400w max 4-chan amp make a difference? would the rockford hid harder cause it is lower wattage and closer to my amp's power? Cause, i mean, the magnet on my mtx is about twice the size of the rockford, and the cone is way deeper.

Silver Member
Username: Importrapist

Savannah, GA U.S.A

Post Number: 151
yes, you can have ten 18" subs rated at 1000watts rms, and only give them a 100 a piece, and you have a 10" rated at 500 watts rms, and you give it 500 watts it will hit harder than the ten 18" subs. So thats probably why the RF hit harder.

Bronze Member
Username: Zneon

Durango, Durango Mxico

Post Number: 14
They made quality amps however their subs suck, I say it cuz i used to have 2 thunder6000 12"s and i blew up 1 of them, and i was driving 200 RMS to it!, all boost OFF, head unit EQ flat, subsonic at 30hz and lowpass at 80hz, even the gain setting was about 80-90% the right position. I also have a polk momo 12" sub, 400rms and it sounds louder with 130 watts than the mtx does with 200 So after that, i decided not to get any MTX subs, GO ROCKFORD!
hope it helps

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
yeah, i guess i need a mono amp at higher power for my sub(s). thats what i plan on doing when i get some real money. Thanks. I dont care if i blow this sub tho cause i have a 2 year warranty that if it blows within 2 years for any reason, all i gotta do is take it back to the store and they will give me a new one free of charge.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
yeah, i guess i need a mono amp at higher power for my sub(s). thats what i plan on doing when i get some real money. Thanks. I dont care if i blow this sub tho cause i have a 2 year warranty that if it blows within 2 years for any reason, all i gotta do is take it back to the store and they will give me a new one free of charge.

Bronze Member

Durango, Durango Mxico

Post Number: 15
I do not completely agree with darren, some people say a sub will reach full excursion with <100% power, since that may be true for some, it's not for most. A BASIC RULE: -Two subs will sound louder than a single with the same power(assuming the use of the same sub)- Now, you won't hear that much change in the volume if you give 150 and then 200 to a sub (using a 200rms sub), as you would do by giving 100 to it and then 150. For me, +/-60% sub rms is enough for me, unless i'm at some sort of competition or contest. But thats me

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 1266
well im not sure what happened to you with the mtx 6000 but my buddy routinely drives twice the rated power in them and the 8000 series 10s and 12s and hes had them for quite a while.....he hits 145 with one 10 in his truck and another guy hit 142 with 2 10s in another car he did i personally hit 130 in a 1 cf sq box with a single 10 ported and it was an mtx 8000 and that was without any real eperimentation and just throwing it in the trunk......as for the rockford it sound as if your car favors a certain frequency and you cam closer to it with the rockford and based on the less clean sound id bet you were in a box size that was on rockfords small size rocommended that with make for a dirtier sound ....my cousins kicker c 12 was just like that in a small sealed box

Bronze Member
Username: Dpaw20

FL USA

Post Number: 84
MTX is a quality brand...my cusin has had his 2 12" MTX subs (dont know which model) for 2 years and hes pounded them. In fact, he passed them down to his brother and they still pound. I think MTX is a great brand. I dont know anything about rockford though..

Bronze Member

Durango, Durango Mxico

Post Number: 16
I've heard a lot that the old 6000 model is crap, but i didn't know this by the time i got them, anyway i still hold my opinion

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1342
He said that he was using a 400 watt max amp, and that RF amp is an 8 ohm svc sub... so I don't think he was getting near the power you are thinking. They are good sub's, but I personally don't really like them, one of my bud's has 2 of the 15's and they don't seem that loud to me. The Mtx should of sounded just as good, but there are minny factors to why it didn't!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us