Will a 400W amp need capacitor?

Kole
Unregistered guest
Hey guys,
Will i need to get a capacitor along with my 400W mono Kicker amp?

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1992
no the rule is 1 farad for 1000 watts, and 400 watts wont need it

Username: Loadedstewie

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 1
although he's right you do'nt need one, installing a .5 farad capaciter will be easier on your charging system and increase performance, especially if you have a small alternator.

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1996
nah its not worth it, it will damgae it in the long run

Kole
Unregistered guest
Cool..thanks guys. Just needed a quick answer, i'll do more research on this later.

Unregistered guest
Hey Subfanatic, the general rule of thumb on this issue is one farad for every 500 watts of amplifier. Case in point, I had a 99 mercury cougar with a 2004 memphis 500 watt d-class amp., which are known for having a high efficiency rating (+99%). It was running two Alpine types E single voice coil 250 watt RMS/500 watt peak subs. Cheap I know, but they were perfectly matched for the 2-ohm stable 500watt RMS amp. I actually ended up killing the battery in the car b/c the charging system couldn't keep up with it. Another interesting fact to note was my car equipped with a stock 105amp alternator and 850 cold crank amp battery. I would recommend a one farad cap, but that is just my opinion.

However, a cap keeps the voltage running through your power wire more constant and steady, allowing you to get every dollar's worth of amp you paid for.

Bottom line, your car is an important variable in this equation. You could be fine without a cap. or you might drain a battery it really just depends on your car.

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 294
You could always get a bigger alternator.

Kole
Unregistered guest
Hmm.. i was afraid of that. Any good/bad brands for capacitors?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us