"boomy" base on new ported boxes

maximustexas
Unregistered guest
Say, I just built a ported box with two Rockford Fosgate 10" subs and the sound is a little too "boomy" or "lazy" for my taste.

Can I give it a "tighter" sound without building new boxes?
Will cutting the port to a shorter length give me a crisper sound?

The specs are on the money according to RF's documents so it's more of a listener preference.

Thanks for any info.

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 389
you can completely cover the port. seal it up with like a piece of wood with caulk and if you dont like it just take it off. and do you any deadner in the box , you can just use pillow stuffing.

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 512
Just wondering...but what is that box tuned to?

maximustexas
Unregistered guest
Whelp, the box is based off of Rockford's specs.
I am not too familiar as to what all the numbers mean, but here is how the speakers are built.

1 cu ft
3" port at 13.25 inches long

Here are the #'s on the documents
FB = 35Hz
FS = 27Hz
QTS = .49
VAS = 2.66cu ft

I don't want to rebuild the box, so I was hoping to modify this design to give me a better sound.

Say Mike5211, I thought about covering the port to make it a sealed box but the enclosure would be almost twice the size needed.
For ported = 1 cu ft
for sealed - .65 cu ft
I may have to try it anyways to see what I can get.

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 400
I would just try it no harm could be done and get the sound deadner. You never know could sound great even if it is to big.

do you have a low pass filter on your amp it should be set I think 27 or lower if can even go that low because your problem may also be that your speaker is putting out higher frequencies then your box is made for.

Username: Ultralowbass

Post Number: 3
I have a banpass box and i pluged the ports and took the center cover off. It hit so much harder.

Gold Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 1171
bandpass = Yuck

exception = orion 2nt....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us