2004 Cavalier and aftermarket amp...

Username: 77pimp

Somewhere, NJ USA

Post Number: 1
I recently installed an amp and sub in my girls car; as I've done this many times before I hadn't anticipated any problems ... let alone 4 months of hell. She's got an '04 Cavalier w/ stock head-unit (not going anywhere near that thing yet). So here's the situation I have.

Everything is wired up fine; lead from battery; ground from chasi and remote from 'power window' option in fuse block. Unfortunately I'm using the high-level inputs spliced off the rear speakers as I refuse to purchase a hi->rca conversion. The problem? If you turn the car off and walk away for 5-10 minutes the radio refuses to output any sound until you unplug/plug the hi's from the amp. This makes no sense to me and I can't figure out if it's the head unit getting confused or the amp backfeeding some random current.

Was just kinda hoping somebody ran into this before. If need be I'll throw in all product #'s and crap but the more I think about it maybe I do have to break down and get the low-level conversion. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

77Pimp

Somewhere, NJ USA

Post Number: 2
oh, forgot to mention ... the amp is simply powering a good ol' sub; not trying to re-feed the stock speakers or anything.

Bronze Member
Username: Abew330

Camarillo, Ca Usa

Post Number: 28
how do u have the speakers hooked up? how do u have it hooked up to the stereo?

Somewhere, NJ USA

Post Number: 3
The speakers/head-unit are stock; the amp is getting it's sound input from the rear speakers into the hi-level input. The problem has got to be related to the Cavalier's funky setup. I've read all about the air-bag/chimes/computer being controlled by the head-unit ... so I can only imagine something is pissed and needs to be bypassed or a simple (connect the hi-level ground to chasi vs speaker ground; which I've tried both).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us