INVERTING SUBS!

Silver Member
Username: Johnnylemoine

LaPlace, Louisiana United States

Post Number: 498
ok i was wondering about this. i know i see alot of these posts but i need the info. i want to invert a sub, do i have to wire the sub differently to do this?? cuz instead of the sub pushing out it will be pushing in and vice versa. So if anyone can shead some light on the situation i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 379
no same wiring, or actually it doesnt matter but just make sure the + from the amp goes to + on speaker and same for Negative, just because thats how they were meant to be but if you do it the other way you never now something might happen but i doubt it but i would play safe.

Silver Member

Post Number: 499
ok cool thanks mike. i was just wondering cuz i thought someone said to wire them the opposite. but cool thanks.

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 138
it wont hurt it 2 wire it backwards because one of my freinds did that and it was just fine...it just reverses the magnetic field and goes in reversew

Silver Member

Post Number: 508
see thats wut i was talkin about. i thought i heard someone say that before.

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 863
Yeah you should, but try it both ways. Some amps/xovers/hu's have inverting switches which basically does the same thing. Sometimes a normal positive to positive connection or a positive to negative one for an inverted sub doesn't always blend with your mids/highs as well.

-Fishy

Bronze Member
Username: Coolcardude

Or

Post Number: 29
when u invert a sub does it have to be rated for free air use?

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 865
Nope, aside from maybe a slight loss in output it pretty much operates in the same fashion, if the suspension is fairly linear both ways that is.

-Fishy

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 144
u wont lose much though maybe 3-5 dB

Silver Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Nc Usa

Post Number: 305
3-5 db is a huge loss. But u wont lose any sound. Inverting the sub wont change the noise or output much at all. U will need to reverse the wiring on the sub that is inverted only if u have 2 subs, if u dont with 2 subs the rear wave on the inverted sub will cancel out nearly all the sound from the other sub and u will have no bass and u will be sad.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_kebo

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 184
I could possibly change the db's since the box wont have the subs taking up space anymore. :D

Silver Member

Post Number: 510
ok thanks nick, thats exactly wut i had in mind cuz i will have another sub in the truck that wont be inverted.

Silver Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Nc Usa

Post Number: 307
Mr. Kebo is right about the airspace loss. Didnt even think of that.lol. It shouldnt mess the sound up that much. a sub only takes up about 1/5 of a sqft. so add about 1/5 a sqft of extra mass inside the box if it doesnt sound right.(just cut up some 4x4in beams and put some in.
But i dont think u will need to. U might end up liking the sound more. The extra space will allow for better low bass extension.

Silver Member

Post Number: 511
kool, thanks yall.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us