Suggestions

Silver Member
Username: Newb

Post Number: 118
ok my problem is my alternator isnt big enough but at this time i really dont want to install a hi output alternator.

current setup:12" adire shiva, 1cu ft sealed box, usx2100 2 chan amp(300w rms bridged), pioneer hu 10w rmsx4, stock components.

proposed setup:12" adire shiva(650w rms), 2cu ft ported box, kicker400kx.1 amp(200w rms@4ohms), cdt components cl-61(90w rms), usx 2050 2 chan amp(50w rmsx2), pioneer hu 10w rmsx4. i was gonna use the hu to push the rear speakers and the 2 chan to push the cdt front separates.

i know everything will be underpowered but will it solve the clipping?

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 182
clipping is from your amp, turning the gain up too high on your amp....

underpowering a shiva by 450 watts? i would try to get more within its range of power if i was you i would say that even tho youd be using a 2 cubic foot ported box, only pushing 200 watts rms to it would probably make your bass even lower than it is.
ideally you want a JBL BP1200.1 to power one shiva at 4 ohms or 2 shivas at 2 ohms, its really a great amp but since you cant really afford to do that with your alternator....

i would reccomend going with a bp600.1 or a kx600.1 amp to get a good amp that wont clip if gains are set properly and that will put out enough power while all staying under your alternators output amount

Username: Tbone

Post Number: 4
Have you thought of adding a Battery Isolator, and a seperate Gel-Cell battery in the rear of the vehicle (In a Battery Box of Course)? The Battery Isolator will first charge your starting battery, then send Alternator power to the dedicated battery, which if you spend money on a good battery, should work until you can afford the high output alternator.

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
my lights dim at max volume even with a 300w amp so im thinking it certainly cant handle 600w(bp1200.1). Adire claims shiva will work even with 60w going to it. so im thinkin 200-250w rms will be decent if i change the box to a ported one.

the bp600.1 will give me the same thing i have now 300w@4ohm(shiva>8ohm dvc), i know it might help a little since a mono amp is more efficient. but i need to make the most of what i got power wise cuz i wanna add a 2nd amp to push my separates.

can u elaborate on a battery isolator? gel cell is same as a yellow top? i heard having an extra battery only helps when your car is not running. when the car is on, the alternator charges the batteries, so the battery doesnt provide any power at that time, correct?
thx for any help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
btw i think the gains are properly set, i had it professionally installed and yes the bridged amp is set to low pass.

jay amaro
Unregistered guest
it is true an additional battery will not maintain output above 12.5 volts like an alternators charging voltage output of 13 to 14.5 or even 15 volts that a capacitor can "hold" you to the higher continuous output of the alternator.
the only gain you can expect from another battery is listening to your stero alot longer with the car not running.
it looks like your running the upper limits in your amperage draw versus your amperage output so in your case a cap wont help (although they can help if your draw is only marginally over your stock output before you noticed dimming lights) so the only real way to fix it is more amperage.
before you get a new amp i would try upgrading your charging system and the ported box then no matter what you do you will always have enough or more than enough power to upgrade later.
for example the cdt's and the kicker as well as an isolator, additional battery etc would cost alot more than having your alternator rewound and the chips replaced at a local starter/alternator rebuilder with a good reputation...plus your current amp depending on the power supply design might perform better if it gets a constant 14.5 volts.
jay

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
well i was just figuring with the 2nd setup i would still be pulling 300w rms but 200 of it would be from a mono amp. so it might fix the light dimming issue. and yes i lose 100w to the sub but im assuming the ported box will compensate somewhat for that.

yeah i know the only real solution is a bigger alternator. altho its prolly the cheapest solution too, im trying to find another option. my preference would be having my alternator rebuilt so u cant tell its been altered. 2 reasons i dont want an alternator now:#1 putting in an aftermarket alternator, i know ill get hassled by the dealer if need repairs to be covered by the factory warranty. #2 even on my days off im still on-call so having my car in the shop for an unknown time period isnt too feasible. but thx for the suggestions

Bronze Member
Username: Tbone

Post Number: 20
Some Vehicle brands have "Factory" high-output alternators, you might to check into that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us