Make the best of it

eldaveo
Unregistered guest
i bought a used sub (not the best idea...)

12" rockford fosgate RFP3412

its a very nice sub, but unfortunately, one of the braided cables from the terminals to the coil has split in the middle at some point, about a centimeter before it enters the cone. it had been re-soldered together, and the sub works.

but heres the problem. the wire is now a bit short. if the sub moves too far outword, it pulls on the cable, and that pulls on the voice coil or something. cause when it moves too far, it disconnects, the cone comes back in, reconnects, goes back out again. it creates a really annoying clipping-buzzing sound. and probably isnt too healthy for the coil to be pulled like that...

when i tested it with an ohmmeter, it read around 4 ohms until i started moving the braid around. then it went from 4 up to like 120M or 68K or whatever, values arent important, but in any case, it means that somethings probably still lose. i fixed it by gluing the braid in place, so it wont move, but this problem is still occuring, like i said, when the thing moves too far, and it pulls.

so my questions are:

- would extending the braid work as a cheap fix?

- what could i use to extend it? im guessing the braid has a special resistance that probably should be followed, which means i shouldnt use standard copper wire. could i use braid off another speaker?

thanks,
Dave

Silver Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 172
I would think you could use braid off another speakerso but I am not sure.

eldaveo
Unregistered guest
ok thanks

thats what i was thinking, but i just wanted to make sure i wasnt going to break anything lol

Dave

Silver Member
Username: Alpineuser

Post Number: 122
the cable u are talking about is the tinsel lead and u could have it resoldered but it wont last long after that. once its ripped its pretty much a purty paper weight
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us