Eaveguard for sound deadening?

Silver Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Florida

Post Number: 314
this was mentioned in a thread in another section, but i wanted to start it's own thread in this section so it doesnt get lost.

anyone have any experience with this stuff? looks like it could be a good option for cheap sound deadening. any experience, pictures, links, etc. please post. thanks.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/127799.html

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

TamaracFt.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 710
Dynamat, Edead, etc does have some "damping" characteristics as in that it resists motion like a shock absorber, but as far as I know the main way it works is by simply adding mass to whatever you stick in on which reduces the resonant frequency to a point where it doesn't audibly vibrate. I saw a thread somewhere where some guy just siliconed particle board to his quarterpanels for the same effect. Regardless there's nothing magical about Dynamat except maybe when it comes to heat resistance and installation ease.

Looks like this Eaveguard is pretty much the same stuff. If it'll stay stuck it should work great.

Just gotta find what brand is sold at Home Depot so if I ask someone there they'll know what the heck I'm talking about.

:-)

-Fishy

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 562
Peal and seal I beleive its in the roofing department

Username: Minime

Portland, OR

Post Number: 5
Yeah, just ask if they have rolls of shingle underlayment (yes roofing dept).

Bronze Member
Username: Chinaman_87

Houston, Tx Usa

Post Number: 29
yeah i just bought some today (peel and seal)
'6 x 25' for 13.50

Silver Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Florida

Post Number: 333
you mean six inches by twenty-five feet right? so 12.5sqft, or 1.08 per sqft.

fishy and i live in 'ole sunny florida. nobody carries that stuff down here - just hurricane shutters.lol:-) (kinda)

Silver Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 737
:-(

I didn't think so.

-Fishy

Bronze Member
Username: Goon

Post Number: 48
damnit i live in florida...why dont we have that stuff down here? i havea shingle roof. argh.

Portland, OR

Post Number: 10
You can always order it online. That's what I did... just got it a couple hours ago.
http://doitbest.com/shop/product.asp?dept_id=4261&sku=119458

Username: Sldonmtns

Ca

Post Number: 5
Nick, I was wondering how this eaveguard stuff is working for you? Also, does it say what the max temp is that it can handle?
thanks

Bronze Member

Portland, OR

Post Number: 39
The datasheet mentions something about 110 degrees F, but that's in the section about storage while it's still in the box so I don't know. I haven't got around to putting it in the car yet, but it seems like it'll work okay. My only concern is that the back is gritty, kinda like sandpaper, so I don't know how well it'll do layered.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7751
shouldn't really need to layer it. the only thing it has to do is stick to the metal to change the sympathetic frequency of the sheet metal and absorb resonance.
If you want to do a more solid job, use a spray-liner.

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1026
fishy and i live in 'ole sunny florida. nobody carries that stuff down here - just hurricane shutters.lol (kinda)

Actually I found some stuff at Lowes. I forget the brand name. It was called Water Shield or Guard or something. Well anyways it was 64 dollars for 100 sq ft roll. It looked pretty thin, had a plastic backing instead of aluminum, and din't feel all that sticky so I opted for some eDead v1se(70 mil) for about $1.50 sq ft shipped(with discount).

The back definitely wasn't gritty. You sure you got the right stuff Nick?

-Fishy

Bronze Member
Username: Hellbender

Los Angeles, California USA

Post Number: 38
I found some stuff at home depot called "stormguard" . It had a plastic backing and while it looked kinda thick it wasnt very sticky or flexible. They also had somethign that came in a roll that was 12" x 35' ,I think it was called weather or water shield. That was very flexible and sticky but the label said it was only 25mills thick. I dont remember the price on that stuff.

Silver Member
Username: Goon

Post Number: 140
lowes also has the peal and seal stuff. i've heard it works just the same.

goon

Bronze Member
Username: Thumper

Richmond, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 49
i believe the off brand dynamat has tar based elements in it so, using that would make your car smell like a freshly paved road. Dynamat uses butyl and aluminum, very flippin expensive. works great near firewall but i wouldnt spend that much money for the trunk and doors

Bronze Member
Username: Hellbender

Los Angeles, California USA

Post Number: 41
This is the stuff at home depot near me.Its called stormguard. It withstands high temps and is a butyl based underlayment. 200 sq ft roll for $67 . http://www.gaf.com/General/GafMain.asp?Silo=RES1&WS=GAF

Anonymous

Yeah ice and water shield lucky my buddy works for roofing company gimme rolls for free. Its slick on one side sticky on other heat up using dryer works great.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us