Bigger isn't always Better

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 561
I originaly had 2 15" Kicker Comps in sealed boxes each getting around 250 watts rms. The output was fairly good but the SQ was lacking. I now have 2 10" Infinity References in a ported box tuned to 35 hz and it not only hits harder than my 15's did but they also sound much much better. The 10's are seeing the same amount of power the 15's did. Just thought this would be a good example to people who are getting into car stereos.

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 369
were they both in the same type of box? and were they both in a box made for that speaker? or was one and not the other?

Bronze Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 75
I would chalk it up to Infinity making a better product than Kicker.

Silver Member

Ohio

Post Number: 562
yep both of the subs are in recomended sized boxes. Just by hearing them the Infinity's sound much better.

Bronze Member
Username: Pharoh

Bradford, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 64
the kicker 15's may ahve required more power than the 10's and therfor lacked of sq and even more punch? maybe the problem there

Silver Member

Ohio

Post Number: 563
them 15's only needed 250 rms so it definatly wasn't the problem.

Bronze Member

Bradford, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 67
alright. well here.. If the subwoofer is smaller and requirs the same RMS value as a larger woofer, you are obveusly going to get more out of the 10 then the 15. Tighter bass and also probobly more bass period. If you look at x X.x's and stuff, their rms is rated like 1000 +. You will obveusly hear a change then. If you had a 15inch ava, for instance, it would own the 10, the bigger you go, make sure your rms ratings also increase.

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1268
What???
That doesn't make any sence!
He was giveing the 15 the recomended rms. Now he is giveing the 10 the exact same power. You should go by what the subs rms rating is, not by the size of it...
I too believe the reason is because it is Kicker!:-)

Bronze Member

Bradford, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 68
yea you are right, whati meant tho, is having a bigger subwoofer isant going to increase the bass unless it has an efficiant amount of rms. giving it the right rms doesent mean its going to be loud, it just means it takes that much to make it move, but if you think about it, having a smaller ser'f area and the same amount of rms recomended wouldent you think it would out preform the 15? Faster and louder? am i wrong?

Silver Member

Ohio

Post Number: 564
the 10's definatly sound a lot better. the 15's hada very different sound. I'm a big fan of kicker but I think that the infinities are better. the comp vr's are nice though.

Silver Member

Ohio

Post Number: 565
the 10's definatly sound a lot better. the 15's hada very different sound. I'm a big fan of kicker but I think that the infinities are better. the comp vr's are nice though.

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1269
Actually, I would think the 15 would have more surface arria, moving more air, resulting in more bass. Thats just my way of thinking.:-)
The CVR's are nice sub's too... great sq, and spl.
We have to remember that we are comparing 2 totally different subs though...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us