What does this mean?

Silver Member
Username: Alpineuser

Post Number: 119
can someone tell me what all those labels stand for? Like Qts, MMs, Sd and on and on. I know they are the speakers specs but what do they exactly mean?

http://www.ascendantaudio.com/Avalanche%2018.htm

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3579
They are thiele small parameters, mainly important in choosing the enclosure.
http://editweb.iglou.com/eminence/eminence/pages/params02/params.htm
This page gives a very good description of them.

Silver Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Florida

Post Number: 373
i'm not too sure what most of those specs mean but i do know how adjusting the Qts affects the sound of my Atlas 12. if you are looking at a frequency response graph, where the bass rolls off at the low end, the low Qts setting will give you a smooth rolloff which can be said to have better SQ b/c it more accurately repoduces the original signal. on the high Qts setting you can see a "bump" or a "knee" at the point where the bass rolls off. that bump results in more output, SPL, at that frequency.

the atlas has a second voice coil strictly used to adjust the Qts. by hooking up a potentiometer to that coil and installing it in my console (thanks for the ideas Fishy :-)) i can adjust the Qts from the driver's seat. pretty sweet b/c when i'm listening to rap i'll have it on a high Qts setting to get quite a bit more "thump" and when i'm listening to pink floyd or classical music, i'll adjust it to a low Qts setting for better SQ.

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 815
So that thing actually makes an audible difference?

cool

Wish they had some atlas 10's.

:-)

-Fishy

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 362
I can take potentiometers from my electronics class(not that im supposed to). how many ohm pot are you using?

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 818
That trick only works well with the atlas. Its got a small extra voice coil you can use to tweak the Qts with. You can try the same thing with a your typical dvc sub but you'll lose half your power handling capability.

-Fishy

Silver Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Florida

Post Number: 374
"You can try the same thing with a your typical dvc sub but you'll lose half your power handling capability"

exactly. the atlas is the only sub that i know of that is specifically made for such a setup.

yeah it makes a big difference! when i first hooked up the atlas, i didnt have the potentiometer so i just put a wire jumper across the second voice coil, which is the low Qts setting. i thought, damn that hits pretty hard, and i left it like that all day. then the next day i decided to take the jumper off to see what the high Qts setting sounded like. i heard it and was like "holy sh1t". it pounded!! it makes a big difference. the SQ is still good with the high Qts setting too, but it's outstanding with the low Qts setting. thanks again for the idea Fishy. when i asked chad, the owner of ascendant audio about it, he said that he was actually going to offer a pot with the atlas, but thought it might be too complicated for most people, so he just normally recommends placing a wire jumper on/off the voice coil.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us