High level to RCA converters

Username: Xpaganx

Post Number: 1
I recently bought a 4 channel infinity amp and 4 infinity speakers from circuit city. I have a stock 6 disc changer in my dash that I cannot afford to replace yet.

Here is my problem. My amp has high level inputs on it. The circuit city guy told me that the sound quality would be better if i ran through high level line to RCA converters. I have a hard time believing it. Distortion is distortion wheter the voltage is reduced or not. He said the converters had filters and it was "technical stuff".

Are these guys full of it or what?

Silver Member
Username: Tragedy

San Jose, CA

Post Number: 133
I did a search on google for you "high level to rca" and i kept coming up with the same Legacy converter. I honestly dont know which would be better to convert to rca or just run straight through high level input. But there wasnt a multitude of products that came up so it doesnt seem to be that popular of a product.

As far as distortion i dont think you are going to notice a big difference either way. Me personally i would just run high level in. (the less electrical components the better).

Username: Xpaganx

Post Number: 2
Thats what I figured... It costs like $110 for two converters and RCAs vs speaker wire for $10 lol

Thanks for the advice

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 776
If that amp has high level inputs that simply means that it employs onboard LOC's(line out converters). Normally with LOC's you lose a bit of frequency response, but some "good" ones do employ passive filters to compensate.

The NE-774V includes compensation for both frequency and phase with no loss of bass or treble.

from here:

http://www.davidnavone.com/adaptor_products.htm

Depending on your amp's LOC's that Circuit City guy may very well know what he's talking about, (*gasp*), but if you plan on eventually upgrading your h/u I wouldn't drop any extra coin on LOC's either.

The problem is that many of today's factory head units utilize volume dependent equalization circuits to compensate for limitations found in factory speakers. Its just the cheapest way manufacturers can get stock systems to sound better and many times involve rolling off some of the lower frequencies. Unfortunately this can lead to less than stellar results when employing good aftermarket subs and components. If you utilize one of these factory radios there's not much you can do compensate short of dropping $400 on something like this:

http://www.jlaudio.com/press/CleanSweep05.html

and if your vehicle employs volume controls you'll end up losing their functionality when using Clean Sweep's auto EQ function.

So bottom line is yeah, if your planning on eventually getting an aftermarket h/u its probably not worth it to invest in any extra LOC's although the NE-774V is a "good" one, is 4 channel, and only what.... 35 bucks? To utilize an aftermarket h/u you're going to have to get hold of some RCA's anyways.

I'd just hook your amp up high level and if what you hear is acceptable just go with it, realizing that things will be greatly improved when you install an aftermarket h/u.

-Fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us