ID MAX vs. JL W6

Username: Ssoonr

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 9
What are the differences in the characteristics of the two... one more geared for sq, spl, more power hungery... etc.

Silver Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 307
i tihnk they are about the same in sq and spl. I personally like the idmax's over the w6's because they are overpriced, and the idmax's sound so good. I tihnk the idmax is more power hungry, and i think the idmax would have higher spl

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1964
These are both great subs you cant go wrong with either one.They are in different classes. I am assuming you are talking about the w6v2 not the origanal w6 so that is what i am gonna go on. The w6v2 handles 400 watts rms while the ID max handles 1000. The price between the two is very similar. The ID max is a sub when put in a sealed small enclosure will give you incredible SQ with decent SPl but when in a ported tuned low enclosure will give some authorative SPL with incredible SQ. Now te W6v2 is geared toward SQL, I know there was an article in car stereo review or some magazine like that but I have a feeling JL threw up some serious coin to get that review. I am a big fan of the w6 it sounds great and gets loud also but I dont know about the best sounding woofer in production. The ID max in my opinion had it all over the w6v2 with similar SPL.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3519
Power hungry, both are very efficient for the power given.

SPL, the ID Max takes the cake. Works better in SPL type enclosures, has a stronger motor, more surface area, and more excursion when excursion matters. Also handles more power.

SQ of both is top notch and totally subjective. I prefer the ID Max, but many will testament to the SQ of the W6v2 as it is great.

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 10
Jonathan, what about performance in a small sealed enclosure?

Bronze Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 11
i am referring to the ID MAX, as I have never heard it and dont have a place to, however have great things about it and am trying to find out as much as I can about it

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3521
Pretty similar in that respect too, actually. 12" subs work well around 1.25-1.5 cu ft sealed, ID Max 10 needs a little bigger enclosure than the 10W6v2.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 12
also, just so you know i specifically went out to look at dynaudio on your suggestion of a post to someone else and I was amazed by them. They are definately on the list of things to buy.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 13
thanks for the help

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3523
Good to hear, glad you liked those components, they sound even better in a car.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 15
also, the d2ohm/d4ohm version of the ID MAX, why did you choose the d2ohm version?

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 733
He probably figured his JL 1000/1 would sound better at 4 ohms than at 2. Not knowing the "acoustic" differences between the two thats why I'd choose the D2 with that setup.

-Fishy

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3526
I had originally planned to get an AB amp (Zapco Reference 1100.1, 800W RMS @ 4 ohm mono) when I ordered the sub, but I got the JL from the shop I was at for free. Anyway, it is best to run a higher impedance on amplifiers due to the increased damping, S/N, lower THD, and also a less strained power supply for more headroom.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us