FUSE = wire????????

Bronze Member
Username: Nveselinovic16v

Post Number: 17
Hi,

need fuse of 150A but don't have time to order and wait for ANL, so please tell me how to calculate AWG size for 150A

thanks

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7519
4AWG is rated for a maximum of 150A.
that amperage decreases by length of wire.

if you can't order an ANL fuse, then go buy one locally.
otherwise just wait it out instead of frying something or starting a fire.

Silver Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 149
125 - 150 amps

#2 wire up to 10 feet use 0 wire after that.

http://www.carstereo.com/help/amp_instal.cfm

Bronze Member
Username: Nveselinovic16v

Post Number: 18
I can put 80A on it (but sometimes blows). Also I got 4AWG and 8ft (battery in the back).

So I should switch to at least 2AWG....

thanks

Silver Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 150
From the web sites I have seen you can put a max of 150 amp fuse on 4 gauge wire. If 80 amps pops then try 100 or 125 and see if that pops. By the way what is the fuse in the amp? 4 gauge wire10 feet long should take 120 or 125 amps with no problem.

Unregistered guest
I am putting together a amp/sub unit that can be used inside through an outlet (custom project). I am running a 300W amp and a 400W RMS Sub. I am currently making the step-down from 120V to 12V and came across the question "how many amps?" How many amps do I need to run the amplifyer? Do amplifyers have maxes for amps they can pull? I am going to buy a power supply once I know how many amps I need. Thanks for any help!

Unregistered guest
One other thing... my amplifyer has a 25amp fuse. That means I can't go over 25 amps. How far under 25 do i go though? Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1855
What do you meen how far under can you go? If it's rated at 25 amps then you should have a 25 amp fuse on your power line.

Unregistered guest
Well yes, the amplifyer has a 25amp fuse, but does it blow AT 25amps or anything PAST 25amps? Should I get a power supply that runs right around 25amps? or should I go down to like 20amps?

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 800
The amount of current a power supply delivers depends on the load. A 80 amp power supply wouldn't hurt anything. Those curent ratings merely describe the MAXIMUM amount of current they can deliver so if you think that amp will draw 25 amps then I'd definitely look into at least a 25 amp power supply.

I'm sure you've found that power supplies that big can get pretty pricey. You might be better off investing your money in a monoblock or bridegable amp designed for home use or better yet a powered subwoofer. You'd probably be much more satisfied with the sound quality of a good powered sub and it sure would be less of a headache to set up.

-Fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us