Can i run a 12W7 in the JL H.O. Wedge box with a 500/1???

Silver Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 390
Can i run the 12w7 in the H.O. wedge box with the 500/1 amp or should i stick with the 10w7 in a H.O. Wedge Box? I know the 500/1 is underated but needed some feedback on this. Here is a link to the H.O. Wedge boxes specs.

http://www.jlaudio.com/enclosures/howedge.html

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 136
Jl subs are underrared as well, i'd stick with the 10W7 if using a 500/1.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

OK in less t... South Korea

Post Number: 593
Lets see the 12W7 is rated at 750 rms. If you run it in a ported box you will lower the amount of power required to reach peak excursion. The 500/1 is underrated. Now you do the math.

Silver Member

Post Number: 393
That is what i was thinking also but brandon was saying otherwise. I think ill have to talk to my JL dealer and test both if they have them on the floor. thanks anyways

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 138
i wouldn't reccomend running it for that long, if you plan on upgrading the amp soon, you should be fine for a while, but yes you are underpowering the sub. if your gonne keep the 500/1, get the 10W7 H.O.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

OK in less t... South Korea

Post Number: 597
Hay MO glass and Jonathan both say the same thing I do, the 500/1 will be fine.

Brandon, if underpowering a sub was a bad thing, then you would have to run your sub at full volume all the time to keep from blowing it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 399
I decided on the 10W7 with the 500/1 in the H.O. box. They ordered and it should be at the shop in 2 weeks from now. i will keep you posted

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 140
it won't blow at 500 watts, you'll wear it out faster i think

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3549
Clipping destroys subs, if you underpower and avoid clipping, your sub will last just as long as it would with the level of power needed for maximum excursion. Doesn't matter if you clip with less or more than rated power, it will kill the sub just as easy due to the DC voltage and high distortion produced. Ported boxes handle more power anywhere above tuning, it's just that they're more efficient, which leads them to be recommended more for low power setups too. It's all dependant on how loud you want to get, the 12W7 will still get louder than the 10W7 with that level of power. You just won't get every little ounce of potential out of it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 406
Sounds good.. hardest decisicion ive had in all my system is between these 2 subs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 407
Ive decided to stay with the 10W7 H.O. wedge box and run it off the 500/1. For my componants in the front i went with the image dynamics cxs62 and im gonna power them with the ppi art 300.2 and use a batcap in place of caps. IM using the eclipse cd8454 for the HU. Am i missing anything else? What gauge power wire do i wanna run if its going in a sedan? What do i wanna set my HU crossovers too? jonathan help me out since you have that eclipse. Help me tune this thing..thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us