Power needs

Unregistered guest
OK i was told i need to run a 4g wire from alt to battery and abttery to ground. Now for the batery to ground and block i under stand. now for the alt my wire is ran through a voltage reg so what should i do. should i bypass it or try and hook it up through the reg or by a new reg of a sort any help would greatly help

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1125
bump

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1782
Make sure you change ALL the wire. From alt to regulator, and from regulator to battery. Also, I would recommend upgrading to 2 awg rather than 4.

Silver Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Florida

Post Number: 289
you can bypass the regulator and run a wire straight from the positive post of the alternator to your battery. just make sure you put an inline fuse in. leave all of your stock wires, and just add the new wires. you can mount them to the same bolts/posts as the stock wires. electricity will take the path of least resistance. i recently did this to my 4runner after a lot of research and consulting with a couple local alternator shops.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 532
No, DO NOT BYPASS THE REGULATOR. the regulator changes the voltage from ac to dc. If you bypass the reg you WILL BLOW SOMETHING UP!!

Unregistered guest
ok but wait how do the one wire hook up alts work then and dont say there is an reg on the alt cause there super tiny and my reg is giant. not saying your wrong but how is an alt ac? o and my 4g is really nice wire trust me this stuff is 2000 + strands and tinn'd is gooooooood wire. but if i was to run that line straight to the battery how big should the fuse be and would it be smart to just get a ground wire kit? o by the way the alt is 200 amp once again any help is great help

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

TamaracFt.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 715
Thats one difference between an alternator and a generator. An alternator provides alternating current and a generator provides direct current.

-Fishy

Silver Member

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 555
GM has the regulator built into the altinator, as do honda and a few other brands. Ford and a few of the others use a regulator to change the ac voltage to dc. Ok that is the cars I have worked on, I am sure there are exceptions.

As for the ground, it is always a good idea to upgrade it too. You can go battery to chassy and battery to engine block, or alt housing.

check out this site if you need more info.

www.caraudiocentral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34

Unregistered guest
well my mistake i didnt trace the wire right the reg is on the alt and i dont think there is any way to bypass it so i will upgrade to 4g all way around but i did hear that if i better gound my tranny it will help with shifting dose any body know if this is true? thanx alot you guys for all the most part

Silver Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 727
I'm not sure of the benefits of increasing ground wire size to the engine block, but I guess that that depends on how things are wired in the first place. My battery is grounded to the chassis with about 8 inches of wire and for the life of me I can't find anywhere my engine is externally grounded to the chassis in any other manner except back to the negative terminal of my battery and through this wire. Since my ground from engine to battery is already 4 or 6 gauge and since I can't see how current to/from my amps could actually pass through the thing I see no reason to upgrade. It might help my car start a lil easier on a cold winter morning, but I live in South Florida......

I dunno, maybe I'm missing something, but whether this is a necessary upgrade probably depends on the vehicle and how its wired. It certainly looks to me like it wouldn't benefit MY audio system any.

-Fishy

Silver Member

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 567
Ok fishy let me see if I can break this down for you. Electrons flow from ground to positive, not positive to ground. Thats why you want your ground on your amp as short as possiable. The longer the wire the more EMI it can pick up and introduce into your amp. Since the altinator is were your power comes from when the car is running, then it would be a good idea to run a wire fron the engine (thats your most direct route thats all ready set up) or the altinator chassi its self.

Silver Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 731
Ahhhhhh...... DOH. Forgot about the stupid alternator ground.

I'm an idiot.

:-)

-Fishy

Silver Member

OK in less t... South Korea

Post Number: 569
Not a problem man. I learn something new, or that I forgot almost every day.

Silver Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 738
Yep, I knew that. Hit 40 and Alzheimer's starts to kick in. Guess I shouldn't post immediately upon awaking from a nice nap.

:-)

-Fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us