W6v2 vs w7

Anonymous

I've heard some people say the w6v2 is better than the w7...what do you guys think?

Silver Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 424
I own 2 12w6v2's in a sealed jl box and i was very impressed with the Sound Quality. Best i have ever heard. Now they have good SPL also but i whould recommend slot ported box to jl specs and youll get awesome SQL. Having said that i just purchased a JL 10W7 in the H.O. Wedge Box it comes in but i havent recieved it cause its on order by my dealer. I will let you know. I have a feeling that im gonna get more of a booming punch sound out of the W7 which is what i like cause i listen to mostly RAP.

Anonymous

How many watts do u have runnin to your w6v2s?

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1224
Yep, I believe the w6 has better sq, but you will get just a touch more spl out of the w7...

Silver Member

Post Number: 425
I was running my 12w6v2's with a PPI PCX 2200 amp. Very nice amp by the way. It was 800 watts x 1 rms bridged into 4ohm or 400 x 2 into 2 ohm or 200 x 2 into 4 ohm. Sounded great with that amp. I retired that combonation and now going with the 10W7 and the 500/1

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1747
personally, i love the w6v2's, but the w7 is still an amazing sub as well, you cant beat em lol, except with ECLIPSE HAHAHA jk jk lol,,,

(god im an a$$)

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2040
I would get a w6 over a w7 anyday! I like the sound better and the SPL isnt far off and last but not least the fact that you can buy two for the price of one is unbeatable. 2-12w6v2's will be cleaner and louder then 1-12w7 in the same type of boxes with the same amount of power in the same car.

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1756
lol, great point, F the w7 lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 430
we will see once i hear it.

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 788
I dunno. I always assumed one sub would generally be slightly better for SQ than two. No two drivers are EXACTLY equal. It would probably depend on the enclosure more than anything else, but yeah, I'd imagine given equal power two 12w6's would outdo one 12w7 in the SPL department.

-Fishy

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2045
well MO your test really doesnt tell anyone much for the fact that you had 2-12w6's in sealed enclosures against a 10 with a HO enclosure. if you notice what I said before about the two being tested in the same enclosures that is a sealed w7 vs 2 sealed w6v2's or port the both of them as well. So I would still have to say with the given power the output on the 12's will still be louder then your single 10 but those HO boxes are very nice boxes so who knows.

Silver Member

Post Number: 432
Well james that is my point..That box from what i hear from many people has incredible output and is efficiant. I have tried 2 10w6v2's sealed and 2 12W6v2's sealed which i own. Bottem line it really comes down to installation. I have never heard the 10W7 in a car. I know its 500RMS compared to 800RMS of the 12W6v2's i had but i have a feeling the 10W7 in this HO box will sound as loud and will be more boomy. I have alot of experience with JL subs as i have tried 2 12w3v2's in a HO box and they slammed with The most incredible SQ i had ever heard. The HO boxes are the best boxes period for the JL subs but you will have to sacrifice space and in my case the space doesnt matter to me as long as it slams and sounds good.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2048
well thats awsome man I hope it works out for you!

Bronze Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 80
mo I have one 10w6v2 with 500/1 on it and its about perfect, if you get a 12w7 I suggest a 1000/1 to push it, same with those 12w6v2's more power, jl always underrate their stuff, also iI built three boxes for this 10w6v2, one sealed to spec (ok but not great, one ported to spec (much better but to high hz) then I built one 10% oversized with 5" less on the port (tuned to about 35hz) and whoa it slams. heres a pic of the boxUpload

Silver Member

Post Number: 436
Nice work joseph. i have 2 12w6v2's in the sealed jl box sitting in my room. I wanna put them in a slot port like yours. Do you get alot of SPL out of it or is the sound quality good to???? Let me know and i might have you build one like that for my 12w6v2. LEt me know

Username: Badkarma929

Pasadena, Ca United States

Post Number: 3
I was going to run 3 JL 12W6v2's off a JL 1000/1 in a sealed enclosure on a 2.67 ohm load. I dont know alot about this stuff but I do know a little but does anyone have any input for this setup. And take it easy on me cause I am pretty new to this. Thanx guys

Silver Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 454
That would be a nice setup as long as the sealed box is built correctly and make it a little larger than spec.

Bronze Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 85
mo i can give you specs to build it yourself or take to someone to build , and to answer your question the sq is the best i have heard yet and it slams all I did for the front is put laminate (counter top) on it and routed the holes.

Bronze Member
Username: Adampit

Post Number: 45
if someone would give me specs for a box to make my 12w7 pound louder then the JL prowedge box i have right now i would love that and i would build it myself.

Bronze Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 91
a ported box for that sub will give you 3db if done right, make the box 5-10% larger in size than the spec says and the port 4-6" less in length, not width, pound for pound, no betta way, go to jl's web site and download the spec sheet for box sizes use alot of caulk

Juggernaut
Unregistered guest
Is that all everyone have in here are JL's better venture out more try some Juggernauts or Team RF JL's really don't have that much wattage I had ( 3 ) Juggernaut 12's 1200w with ( 2 ) 3000w MMAT amp but now i have ( 3 ) TEAM RF 12's 4000w on the same setup it'll make your eyeballs vibrate

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1869
"Team RF JL's really don't have that much wattage "

First off, Rockford crap isn't that great anymore. Who in their right mind would buy Rockford over JL if they could afford it?

Second, wattage doesn't matter as much as you may think. Yes, MMATS are great subs, but that doesn't make them or your current RF's so great just because they have higher wattage ratings than the JL's.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3577
The Juggernauts and Team RF do get very loud, but they aren't for everyone. They are more SPL inclined, as you implied with the eyeballs vibrating comment. While they do get loud, the SQ out of them isn't quite up to par with the JLs, and when talking about a well rounded daily driver setup, JLs offer a good balance of SQ/SPL over a wide bandwidth. Anyway, all in what your goals are.

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 108
joseph...thats the cleanest home built wooden box ive ever seen lol

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 109
send me the exact specs u used 4 that box lol...i have sum testing 2 do, my email is danny__keen54@hotmail.com

Juggernaut
Unregistered guest
Well Joe you must never have had to hi end fosegate and I'm not talking bout the ones you can buy off the shelf fosegate amps are not what they use to be but there hi end SUB'S and i'm talking bout the really hi end SUB not the HX-2 or the power model and JL's I'ev had JL and there ok but they have a tendence to blow a lot when you pipe them to there MAX and I Stated TEAM RF NOT ROCKFORD THERE IS A DIFFERENCE LOOK IT UP IF YOU DONT THINK SO I SOULD KNOW I OWN A AUDIO STORE ( BOOM TOWN USA ) and (CITY SOUND USA )

Juggernaut
Unregistered guest
And Jonathan your right there great for the every day driver I was Talking a bout ( COMP equipment ) and as i read more post i see most of these guys are not into the really hi end equipment Hey Jonathan I'LL post the pics of my next project when ever i get around to finishing it ( 8 ) 12"s in a 94 Regal

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3585
Very, very few people on this forum are looking for SPL competition equipment, at least from what I've seen. Most are more SQ oriented, and others are more SQL. That's why you'll see W7s, RE X.X.X.'s, Eclipse Tis, Adire Audio Brahmas, Image Dynamics Id maxes, etc. recommended often on this forum. People that are looking for more SPL (by that I mean competition SPL, packing gobs of power on a sub in a ported or bandpass box) would be better served by a Team RF, Juggernauts, Digital Designs 9500 or 9900, etc. Just a deal where you have to put apples to apples as far as what someone wants.

Username: Albeemacken

Bc Canada

Post Number: 1
hey guys, i was just wandering if any of u would know if the 1000/1 would be to much for 2 10w07 s cause i was thinking of buying a 3rd one
before i get everything hooked up

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 835
I wouldn't advise running a 1000/1 at 1 ohm.

2 10w7's off that amp should be perfect.

-Fishy

Bc Canada

Post Number: 2
thanks fishy for the info

Bc Canada

Post Number: 3
would anyone know what the spl would be in a car
useing two 10w07 off of a 1000/1 if specs are done correctly box wise
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums