Need better SQ

Username: 03aerioguy

Ohio USA

Post Number: 1
right now i have two 12" kicker comp subs and a kicker kx150.2 amp. i am lookin for better SQ. i want it to be able to be loud, but i really want it to blend nice too when i listen to other music besides rap. another guy was tellin me i should go with 2 10" image dynamic speakers. but i dont want to spend much money. maybe round 500. i think im gonna sell my current system and buy all new. i was thinkin bout gettin 2 ascendant audio atlas 12" subs. im really lookin for SQ mostly. but i still want loudness. what amp would i need for taht? or should i just go with 2 10" subs? what kinds? i obviously need some help so PLEASE HELP!

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1100
Eclipse Aluminum, amazing...simple as that.,..get the 88100 if you can and ill sell you mine if your interested, but if not an eclipse Al, look at IDmax, and the jl w6v2

Silver Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Florida

Post Number: 278
two atlas 12's would sound good. the good thing about those subs is that they dont need much power to run them (300watts RMS each), so you'll save money on the amp. however, they only come in 4ohms, so with two you'll be looking at a total load of 2ohms on the amp.

you may want to consider one Avalanche 15", about the same price as two atlas 12's, and run that with a quality amp that does 600-800watts at either 1 or 4ohms.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1777
I'm sure the Atlas's would be great for sq, as well as the Avalanches. Infinity subs have good sq. You should also look into an ID MAX.

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1111
how come noone reccomends eclipse al's

Ohio USA

Post Number: 2
i heard that one 15" would sound bad. someone told me that 15's r made for spl not sq so it will be all over the place. i want it to b able to hit hard fast, but SO crisp. if i got the 2 12" atlas subs, would it do that? also, any recommendations on a good amp with that setup? or do u think 2 10's would b better sq than those atlas'?

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1780
What in the world?

"i heard that one 15" would sound bad"

Who was the idiot that told you that? With subs nowadays size doesn't matter as much for bass response. The cones are so light there's not a big difference between 10's and 12's, or 12's and 15's.

Ohio USA

Post Number: 3
easy man im just tellin ya wut i heard. so u think that one avalanche 15 would sound better and have better sq than the 2 atlas 12's? what about spl? is it gonna be louder than 2 12's or quieter. and can ya tell me some good amps to look at?

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1789
Lol, sorry. Anyways, I don't know which will sound better, but I would say the Avalanche 15 will probably be louder than two 12" Atlas's. As for amps, look into MTX/Kicker/PPI/Orion HCCA/Zapco

Ohio USA

Post Number: 4
WOW! that one 15" avalanche sub costs 300! thas crazy. shouldi get the atlas? is it about as good? remember, i want SQ not too much SPL. how big of an amp do i need? like 750w? how much do u think i would need to spend on the amp? i was hopin to only spend bout 500 for everything. please help and thanks for ur help so far

Ohio USA

Post Number: 6
any more help please?? its really appreciated

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1791
Well, if your not going for as much spl, there's really no point in getting a second Atlas. Adding the same driver with the same wattage running to it as the first will only give you about a 3 db increase. To save money you should just go with one Atlas. Honestly, if it were me I would just get (1) Atlas 15".

Ohio USA

Post Number: 7
damn this sux. i am horrible at makin decisions. i dont know if i should get 2 10" subs, 2 12" subs, 1 15" sub? what brand? atlas? eclipse? image dynamics? i have 500 to spend on my amp, subs, and box. i have really nice wires already. the box, i think i am having someone custom build it and he'll only charge me for parts. so maybe u guys could all tell me wut u think would b the best setup for 500 when i want mostly SQ but i still want good SPL for sure. i still like to crank it up. i just have trouble puttin an amp w/ a sub. i never kno wut combo. and im not too familiar with brand names. thanks a lot

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

TamaracFt.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 697
damn this sux. i am horrible at makin decisions. i dont know if i should get 2 10" subs, 2 12" subs, 1 15" sub? what brand? atlas? eclipse? image dynamics?

Lol @ mark. I'm in your same position and I supposedly know a lil about this stuff and don't even have your price limitation. Everyone says go audition these things before you buy. I agree thats a great idea. Listen and let your ears tell you what's best, but unfortunately 9 times out of 10 that isn't practical. If you don't know anyone that owns any of these subs you're pretty much stuck with trying a dealer, but what dealer carries Ascendant? and how many dealers have sub/box combos that you can audition in-car? Checkin out good components is one thing, but personally I think showroom sub auditions aren't much help as subwoofers sound way different in a car enviroment.

So what do you do? Its a conundrum. I'm looking at 10(2) or 12(1) inch W6's at the moment mainly because they are available from a local dealer(Sound Advice/Tweeters) who has a very good return policy. Its going to cost me a bit more, but they are committed to making sure I'm happy with my purchase. I build my own boxes so I'm not out a bunch of cash(just time :-)) if I decide the 10's don't play low enough etc, and would like to try one 12 or maybe something else.

From what I hear you'll probably be very satisfied with any of the suggestions from previous posts. Just remember that if you buy online and plan on returning stuff it can be a big pain in the orz(shipping, return policies, etc.), whereas a good dealer might allow things to go much smoother.

-Fishy

[note] I'd like to know more about the Eclipse aluminums as well Subfan. :-)

Silver Member

Florida

Post Number: 305
to me, for $500 after shipping and a new box, it looks like you have a couple choices.

If you get the Atlas 15 ($160 + shipping) you would be looking at about $220-$250 after shipping and a box. That would leave you with about $220-250 for an amp. The amp would only need to be 300 watts, so you could get a pretty nice one for that amount.

If you went with the Avalanche, which would be the next cheapest alternative, you would be looking at $300 plus shipping. after a box, you're only looking at a little over $100-$150 for an amp. The avalanche needs 750 watts, so you gotta figure you're not going to get a very good amp, if any for $100-$150 that puts out 750 watts.
Two atlas 12's would be about the same scenario.

The other option you have would be to get a couple Alpine Type-R's or two image dynamics ID10's or something in that range, but that'll be about $200-$250 plus $ for a box for two subs, and you'll still need a 600 to 800 watt amp to run them properly.

I'll leave it up to those more experienced with these setups to say which would have the best SQ vs SPL, etc. hope it helps.

Silver Member

Florida

Post Number: 306
good point about the local dealer and having to return stuff, fishy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us