Eclipse T.I. vs. Avalanche

Bronze Member
Username: Basshead

Post Number: 16
I have been thinking about getting a 15" Avalanche because of the good things I have been hearing about it but today I found out I can get a Eclipse T.I. for about the same price I was just wondering which one would would have better spl if they were each in a sealed box built to specs. I would probably run the avalanche with a kicker kx600.1 and the eclipse with a kicker kx1200.1

Silver Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 940
My vote goes to the Eclipse, but I'll bet you $100 that James says the Avalanche.:-)

Silver Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 899
well the 1200.1 would be to big for the eclipse if you run it at 1 ohm...but i couldnt find the specs for it for 2 and 4 ohm

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Oh ya the eclipse is a 12"

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 900
my vote is for the eclipse...but if you know me..ill take eclipse over about anything

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
The kicker kx1200.1:
* 300 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
* 600 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
* 1200 watts RMS x 1 at 1 ohm

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 942
It could handle more than 600 watt's, but 1200 watt's is pushing it, are you set on that amp?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
No is there a better amp that would go with it?

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 901
ed nine.1..run it at 900 watts rms

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 944
That would work... the Eclipse is underrated. 900 watt's would really get that sub moving. How much money do you have to spend on the amp? Also is it just powering the 1 Eclipse, or will there be another Eclipse soon?:-) What ohm is the sub?

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 902
i think the 12 Ti only comes in dual 4 ohm

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Really I didnt want to pay more than 300 for the amp but I was going up a little bit for the kicker kx1200.1 but I still want to try to get it for under 400 cause I could get that for around 379. Im not planning on getting another eclipse anytime soon but maybe down the road a little bit and if I do Ill just get another amp. So right now I just want an amp for one ti.

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 906
you can get the ed nine.1 for 350 shipped on there website...its 1200 at 1 ohm 900 at 2 ohm and 500 at 4 i think....thats lll RMS its awesome

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Oh and where would be the cheapest place to get an ed nine.1 and how much would it be?

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 908
i think you have to get it from there site..its 350 shipped...they are real new and people say AWESOME things about them, i cant wait for mine..im getting an ed nine.1 with a 15 Ti, lol....close to the same setup man but i think its like, www.elementaldesigns.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Damn thats perfect man thanks. How high of dbs do you guys think I could hit with this setup? I guess Im gonna go with one 12" eclipse in a sealed box built to specs powered by the ed nine.1 and dynamat the whole trunk and cut out holes where my 6x9s are in the back. Im putting this in my 1995 grand marquis. I know there are a lot of factors that determine this but what would you think this setup would hit?

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 910
wow dude..you doing the same EXACT THING AS ME...hopefully ihgh 30's low 40's, thats what im going for...but what is your budget, here is my setup,

15 inch Ti in a ss box powered by an ed nine.1 at 2 ohms with 120 square feet of edead with 6 by 9 grills on my rear stage with holes cut out so it looks good in my 1998 neon expresso...

i would reccomend edead instead of dyanamat...half the price...same quality...you can get a discount with a coupon code i know and helps on shipping charges to since its same comapany as ed nine.1

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
That sounds good man my budget actually started out at like 500 cause I was gonna get this head unit for $140 (I still am)http://www.refurbdepot.com/productdetails2.cfm?Product_ID=3306, then I was gonna get two cerwin vega vmaxs for like $140 all together and run them off a kicker kx600.1 that I can get for like $230, so it was all gonna be about 610, but then I just kept wanting bigger and better things so I figure Im gonna save for a couple more months and put some real bass in my trunk.

Really I just want the bass at first so I can show up some of the kids at my school running sonys and stuff like that, then Im gonna add another amp and components and tweeters up front but first I really want some bass.

I think this will be a big step up from my first setup ever from about a year ago: two pyramid "1200 watt max subs" and a jensen 500 watt max amp. I thought that stuff bumped until I heard a real system, one that really hits deep in your chest then I decided thats what I want no matter how much it costs. LOL

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 912
well...when are you planning on buying?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Right now Im buying my car sometime next week then Im just gonna buy all the stuff in pieces. Right now Im making about 400 bucks every two weeks(im 16 so its kinda hard to save but Im trying) first Im gonna buy the head unit then save the rest and get my amp with my next paycheck then buy the sub as soon as I can and build my own box. So I hope to have it all in the next two months.

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 917
yea 2 months is my goal as well

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
good luck man hopefully we'll both be hurtin our ears in 2 months

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 923
haha..true

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1919
dude are you comparing the eclipse TI 12 against the avalanche 15? cause if you are then there is no contest. You are right Taylor on this one i am going to say GO AVALANCHE! if it were two 15's being compared then I would have a different opinion maybe because of the power difference. they both have the same rms rating actually the eclipse rms rating is 750 and the Avalanche is 800 so with that power give to each it would prob be close. I have nothing against Eclipse I believe they are a great company I would never talk bad about them but when comapring a 12 to a 15 its no competition when comparing subs of their ability's. Either way you go it is gonna sound AWSOME its not like your gonna get Audiobahn over Eclipse or something like that ya know.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3465
For sound quality I'd do the Eclipse, but SPL goes to displacement, especially in a sealed box, which would be the Avalanche.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1932
"Damn thats perfect man thanks. How high of dbs do you guys think I could hit with this setup? I guess Im gonna go with one 12" eclipse in a sealed box built to specs powered by the ed nine.1 and dynamat the whole trunk and cut out holes where my 6x9s are in the back. Im putting this in my 1995 grand marquis. I know there are a lot of factors that determine this but what would you think this setup would hit?"

yup I agree with you Jon but to me it sounded like he just wants to blow away his friends systems in SPL and for that purpose I would go Avalanche. Its got great SQ as well but not that of the TI 12.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3467
I agree 100%, just my opinion on what each would accomodate. The Avalanche still has good SQ even in 15" form. If I were him, I'd go ported in that case, a Grand Marquis isn't exactly limited in trunk space.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1935
yup I agree.

Username: Slimjim

Deford, MI US

Post Number: 8
Hey jonathan, i know this is of subject, but i was wondering how you like your ID MAX's. I'am gonna order one probably this week.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
"yup I agree with you Jon but to me it sounded like he just wants to blow away his friends systems in SPL and for that purpose I would go Avalanche. Its got great SQ as well but not that of the TI 12. "

Yep thats exactly what I want, something that just hits hard and hurts your chest, I love that kind of bass.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1942
then Avalanche is your sub:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Im not sure about the ported box because I wanted to build the box and I know how to build sealed boxes but I have no idea about ported. Is it very hard to build a ported box? If so what additional tools would I need and how would I build the port and everything?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Oh and one more thing james I think I asked you already but I forgot is the avalanche dual 2 ohms?

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1650
Yup.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3472
"Hey jonathan, i know this is of subject, but i was wondering how you like your ID MAX's. I'am gonna order one probably this week."

Fantastic subwoofer. I'm running sealed around 1.3cu ft, but I have friends that have ported enclosures tuned in the 20s and it's plain out wicked (I have a single cab truck, so space is a limitation). Great SQL sub, prob my favorite for sound quality purposes, has a very tight, clean sound to it and lows are well extended, midbass transition is excellent and SQ couldn't be a lot better. I guess the only downside of it is with sealed boxes at super high excursions, it loses a little SQ when compared to subs like the Brahma, X.X.X., etc, due to the motor design and also the surround, which dimples at high excursions by design due to the narrow profile. But, I don't typically listen to it at super loud levels, so it's not an issue for me and I was aware of that, just something you have to consider ahead of time, also depends on the enclosure you run as ported enclosures don't have the excursion levels sealed does except below tuning.

Blair
Unregistered guest
Seeing as we are now taliking about the Id Max's I've got another question about them.

I have just bought 2 and will probabbly be powering them with an MTX 1500d.

My question Jonathan is if I go ported will it significantly reduce SQ?. I would like extreamly clean clean bass, however like any typical fool here I want them to be as loud as possible. haha

Also if you do recommend a ported box what size and tuned to what frequency for do you think for SQL purposes.

Oh and also the MTX doesnt have a subsonic filter. - should I look at a different amp?

thanks for any help

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3475
For the subsonic filter, you don't have to worry, you can get Harrison Labs Fmods that plug right in to the RCA jacks. SQ ported won't significantly reduce SQ, or at all if you do it right. With those subs, I'd go with around 2.5 cu ft net tuned to 28 hz, with the d4 model you can tune even lower, such as around 25hz, that's for the 12" subs. The 10" subs I'd do around 2 cu ft net tuned to around 25-28hz. Make sure tuning is above the resonant frequency of the subs, the Fs changes between models so that's why I'm telling you this. Remember that for SQ ported, you will want a LOT of port surface area, a good rule to go by is 16 square inches of port area per cubic foot of box volume. That means a 4x4 square port (or 16x1 slot port, or the round equivalent) for a 1 cu ft net box, double that for 2 cu ft, and so on and so forth. This is what Digital Designs recommends, and believe me it works wonders.

Blair
Unregistered guest
Where abouts can I get these Harrison Labs Fmods from and how do they work? - note: I live in Brisbane Australia, and sometimes people dont ship to here.

Also I have the D2 model, would I be able to tune it to 25hz, same as the D4? or do you recommend higher?

Silver Member
Username: Erik123456

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 457
The eclipse would win in the battle of 12's fairly easily in my eyes

if your comparing different sizes its apples to oranges

Blair
Unregistered guest
bump

Where abouts can I get these Harrison Labs Fmods from and how do they work? - note: I live in Brisbane Australia, and sometimes people dont ship to here.

Also I have the D2 model, would I be able to tune it to 25hz, same as the D4? or do you recommend higher?

Blair
Unregistered guest
bump

Bronze Member
Username: Terps297

Potomac, MD USA

Post Number: 52
what about comparing 15" of each? how would they compare?

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1177
i would say the eclipse would win! lol, but everyone has different opinions

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1956
hey sub you ever get your Ti hooked up yet man?

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1185
yea i had it in a temperray ported box 5 cubic feet powered with my interfire amp and it was just...amazing...i cant wait to build my box lol...but it seriously blew my mind..but the box didnt fit in my trunk so it was sitting on my back seat lol

Bronze Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 59
jonathan...about how much would a pair of inch id max's cxost me lol

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1246
how can i tune a box to 43 hrz?

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1819
Your gonna have to calculate it. Depends on the box volume and the dimensions of the port.

Unregistered guest
Hey..
anyone who knows what DAMPING FACTOR KIcker KX1200.1 got?

It would be so nice if ou could help me with this, i've been searching and searching without any results... =S and finally i ended up here!

Thanks! Jimmy, Sweden.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us