Problem with amp cutting out

Username: Kickersquared

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 1
I am just a newb here but I have had my 2 kicker s12l7s installed by me and when I turn my volume up everything just shuts off and I have to turn it on and off when it cuts out. I was just wondering if there was anything that I could do to fix the problem and/or what was the source of the problem the subs or the amp. The amp is an ea3532 with a 5/4 channel max of 650 watts. 4 to speakers and 1 to the subs. I split that line in a parallel wiring I think.

Thanks for any help
PJ

Bronze Member
Username: Kojak28

Augusta, GA USA

Post Number: 71
HOw do u have the subs wired? parallel or series?

Bronze Member

Augusta, GA USA

Post Number: 72
HOw do u have the subs wired? parallel or series?

Silver Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 103
Sounds like you have you subs wired to low in ohms or your turning your head unit up to much and the amp is kicking out because of clipping.

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 2
its parallel wiring, I think it may be the along ohms because i have 2 subs sharing 1 channel at 4 ohms bridged at 130watts but that is split in half so 65watts to each sub is this the problem? its wired at 4 ohms so if ve 45wattsx4 for each speaker and my head unit is 45x4watts, if disconected 1 sub would it quit cutting out? thanks again

nick_sq
Unregistered guest
Lets get this straight for everyone. When you amp cuts out, almost 100% of the time it is because the amp is being run below its reccomended impedance. If you have 2 subs sharing 1 channel you are likely at 2 ohms bridged (if the subs are 4 ohms each) that is too low. It is never due to watts the amp cuts out. YOu could have 20 subs on one channel and if it was a 4 ohm load it shouldnt cut out.

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 3
so I would need a new amplifier then? like a 2 channel one with like 500w rms on one?

Bronze Member

Augusta, GA USA

Post Number: 78
Wrong ohm load without a doubt. You shouldn't use a 4 or a multi-channel amp(more than 2ch)for subs. They are usually not 1 or 2 ohm stable. GRANTED there are some out there, but they are expensive. Whenn u said u split the sub channel, what did u mean?

Bronze Member

Augusta, GA USA

Post Number: 79
Keep that amp for ur other 4 speakers, but I would get a monobloock for the RMS output of those subs.....That amp is 4/5 ch, right? Runn just like a 4ch amp, thenn it has a SUBWOOFER CH.....These amps give me the creeps. I like the separate amp logic- you have 1 amp for every "band of frequencies" eg. Sub-monoblock---------midrange-2 or 4 ch. midbass-2 ch-------highs-probly 'nothr 2 ch. There is no substitution for quality in sound systems, and in my opinion when you have everything independent of one another(running all segments of frequencies) together with one kickass xover, a 21 band EQ, 4 amps- That....is my dream system. I DID NOT say I HAVE my system set up this way, but I have heard one and it ROCKED!!!

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 4
What I meant about that is that I wired 2 subs on one channel in parallel wiring> But I really am leaning towards a new 2 channel amp just for my subs, again I have 2 Kicker s12l7's with 1500w max and 750rms on each. They are refurbished but are as good as new. Give me some brands to look up that wouldgowithmysubs.

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 6
also if I change the gain on the amp will it help reduce the cutting out because If I hit above a volume level of say 54 It will cut out It was at like at 44 but I turned the gain down

Username: Bige

Post Number: 2
PJ, does your amp shut off or does it just stop sending a signal to your speakers?

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 7
ya the amp will just shut off

Nick_sq
Unregistered guest
Pick up a 1000 watt monoblock. JL/orion/alipme/JBL/mtx/Rockford/clarion list goes on and on....stereo amps are inneficiant (sp?) Though they do usually sound cleaner a class D mono is what you want. Expect to pay 300 to 600 bucks for a half decent amp.

Username: Cavey

Post Number: 1
i have a boss 2 channel 1400 watt amp and two 600 watt pioneer subs connected and it shut off when i turn up the voulume and also one of the subs keep shorting out what causes this problem

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2000
Angela, what do you mean by "one of the subs keep shorting out"? Are you saying the speaker wire itself is shorting or the amp?
Is your amp is shutting down, then check your gain/level setting. It should be set according to your HU's preout voltage. So if it's 4v, set the amp's gain/level to 4v.
Also check your Pioneer sub's wiring. Is the sub 4ohms DVC or SVC? Are they wired in series or parallel? Are you bridging the amp?
Don't except Boss amps to actually produce power as advertised. They're not meant to be driven hard at all, just like Pyramid and Sony.

Omaha, NE

Post Number: 9
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IM just gonna get a new amp for my subs so what are some good one for around 300 dollars? I dont want any pa, sony, pyramid or anything else bad
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us