Help picking system

Bronze Member
Username: Algirard1

OH United States

Post Number: 29
I'm a newbie to car audio and this is going to be my first system. i have learned a lot just reading forums and searching. I have a 1993 Ford ranger extended cab. Right now I am running 4 Pioneer 6x9 3 ways that can handle 40 watts rms off of a sony headunit. I was thinking of getting one or two subs beacus the space is limited in my extended cab. I am looking to spend $1500 on my entire system. I need subs, box, wiring, high output alternator(if neccasary), amp for sub, amp for 6x9's, and any other suggestions like a cap. I listen to mainly rap and rock. I am looking for a SQL system. What would you suggest? Please list everything that I would need.

Bronze Member

OH United States

Post Number: 30
I'm a newbie to car audio and this is going to be my first system. i have learned a lot just reading forums and searching. I have a 1993 Ford ranger extended cab. Right now I am running 4 Pioneer 6x9 3 ways that can handle 40 watts rms off of a sony headunit. I was thinking of getting one or two subs beacus the space is limited in my extended cab. I am looking to spend $1500 on my entire system. I need subs, box, wiring, high output alternator(if neccasary), amp for sub, amp for 6x9's, and any other suggestions like a cap. I listen to mainly rap and rock. I am looking for a SQL system. What would you suggest? Please list everything that I would need.

Username: Thenoose

Post Number: 7
wats up man i have a 2002 ford ranger edge so i know wat you are working with i have 6 speakers in total a pair of 6'8 pioneers a pair of 6'9 infinity kappas and a pair of 6'8 infinity kappas i have my speakers getting powered by a mtx 5 channel amp sounds awesome do this man get 1 sub i recommend either the kicker l7 if you want loud bass or if you want sound quality the alpine type r 2005 model and the amp i am running is a audiobahn a8000t and i have a 1 farad cap hooked up to the amp remember since we both have trucks its like having a box inside a box so it will be louder than say a car which has its subs in the trunk anyways i have my box behind my driver seat so i dont lose both seats in the back i hope this is helpful in some way

Silver Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Nc Usa

Post Number: 276
If you want sql dont go with an l7. Look at an acendant avalanche 15, or for a little more spl, a RE XX.X. For the avalanche I would run an ED Nine at 2ohms for 900rms, for the RE, probaly a kicker kx1200.1. Build your own box, sealed. After all that you should have 600 left. With that you can purchase the wireing, and a new alternator(if needed, depends on your stock alts output.) and if ne money is left, sound deadener.

Bronze Member

OH United States

Post Number: 31
I already have dynamat in my doors. Should I dynamat the rest of my truck

Silver Member

Nc Usa

Post Number: 278
the more deadener the better, but thats the last thing on the list.

Bronze Member

OH United States

Post Number: 32
Do you know of any websites that show instalation of multipe amps useing a distribution block

Bronze Member

OH United States

Post Number: 33
I decided to get one Re X.X.X. running off of a Kicker KX1200.1. Do you know how much the 12" or the 15" costs? Also what amp would you suggest for my Pioneer speakers?

Silver Member

Nc Usa

Post Number: 283
Makes sure to get the dual 2ohm model of the XX.X. I think they cost about 400-450$ not sure. The amp is around 400 on ebay, maybe less. I would get the 15. And go 2.5 cuft sealed.

Bronze Member

OH United States

Post Number: 34
The Re website suggests about 4 cuft for the 15" and only 2 for the 12" Would it be better to go with a ported or vented box to get more spl. I know I will lose some sq but it should still have good sq right.

Silver Member

Nc Usa

Post Number: 285
It will retain good sound quality if you go ported as long as u tune the box correctly. tune around 30 htz. RE recomends 27.

Bronze Member

OH United States

Post Number: 35
Would porting it give me more noticalbe spl?

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1101
nick how come everyone on here reccomends 1200 watts rms for the x.x.x???, also the deadener wouldnt be needed...but get it caause you peolly wont need a new alt for that...could be wrong

Bronze Member

OH United States

Post Number: 36
Sub what amp would you suggest for the 15" X.X.X?

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1103
how much money do you have?

Bronze Member

OH United States

Post Number: 37
I have $1500 for sub,amp, box, wiring, amp for 4 6x9 40 watts rms, and extras like cap

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1105
hmmm,,,, well lets see if i can get this right...

lets just set aside 300 for the box and wiring...way to much..but you know lol

amp for 6by9's...(someone please tell me where the little multiplication symbol is lol)

500 for the X.X.X its more like 450, but better safe than sorry right lol.(www.reaudio.com) but you could also consider a 15 inch Ti, x.x.x is awesome but its just another suggestion...i got mine for 370 shipped.

1600 watt rms amp for the x.x.x..PPI DCX1500.1 little less than 1600..but amazing amp...i saw one for 500 dont remember where. so thats 1200 there with the x.x.x and ppi amp, 300 for box and wiring, now 200 left for 6 by 9 amp and cap you can get a cap for 300 in your wiring kit, at cc they have a stigner 1.2f cap and wiring kit for 160, so that leave 120 for box...so now 300 for just the amp for 6 by 9's..wow im repeating myself alot...how about 04KX200.4 amp...50 watts times 4.

that leasve 150 if i did my math right...or if you dont get the x.x.x and ppi amp

get the Ti and a ednine.1 at 2 ohms 900 watts rms thats 750 for both of those...and get the ednine.1 instead of the kicker1200.1...basically same amp...but alot cheaper

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1106
spend the rest on edeadv.1 1 buck a square foot

Bronze Member

OH United States

Post Number: 38
So with 900 watts rms I won't probably need to upgrade my alternator?

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1107
no you wont need to...but i dont really need to either....but im still doing it lol...im running a 15 inch Ti in a ss box with an ednine.1 amp and a 150 alt...after i sell the stuff i have already lol

Silver Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Florida

Post Number: 283
"(someone please tell me where the little multiplication symbol is lol)"

sub, lol. look next to the "z" :-)

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1108
hahahha duh..why didnt i ever think of using the x...wow im a dumba$$...jeeze genius...i have looked ALL OVER my keyboad hundreds of times for like 5 mins each time tryinhg to find it

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1770
For 900 watts rms I would highly recommend getting a High-output alternator.

Silver Member

Florida

Post Number: 284
dude, i'm sitting at work right now cracking up. that's classic.

Silver Member

Florida

Post Number: 285
that's some sh1t i would do.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1772
Sub you couldn't find the "x" on your keyboard?

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1109
nope, never realized that was the key i needed, but now i do lol...but yea i would suggest the HO alt too with the money you save from not getting the x.x.x if you can

Bronze Member

OH United States

Post Number: 39
What size HO altenator should I get if I have the 900 watt amp and the amp to run my 6x9's?

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1785
150 amp would probably work fine.

Bronze Member

OH United States

Post Number: 40
Where should I look for this HO alternator.

Silver Member
Username: Rob_brown

Post Number: 184
you could get an eD nine.1 for your X.X.X. i have one powering my 15 but i'm running it at 1ohm so it's giving 1200 watts rms

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1788
Robbie? First you were gonna sell the Nine.1, and then you said your mom gave it away? What the dealio?

Silver Member
Username: Rob_brown

Post Number: 186
i got 2 cause i was going to get 2 X.X.X's... my mom's present to me for christmas, but i didn't feel like all the electrical upgrades that were necessary cause i could only find a 150 amp alternator for my car.

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 186
subfan
amp for 6by9's...(someone please tell me where the little multiplication symbol is lol)
haha you crack me up... you remind me of one of my friends .. thats some funny sh!t lol ... try to find the decimal key ;) lol

Bronze Member

OH United States

Post Number: 41
Thanks for all the help. I decided to get one 15" Eclipse Ti powered by an eD nine.1. With the Ti i will only be having a total of 1060 watts rms with the eD nine.1 and an amp for my 6x9's. Could I buy a lower amp HO altenator or shoud I just stick with the 150 for future installs?

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1137
150 heres why

900watts rms 900/12=75....class d amp so 20 more percent which is 15 more...so tahts 90 amps...the other amp is like 200 i guess and thats like 15 so lol 105....then other stuff in your car is like another idk how much...so be safe and get a 150 or 200 amp alt..im basically running the same stuff as your..but alot more stuff in my car and im getting a 150 ho alt, but im looking for a nice cap to

Bronze Member

OH United States

Post Number: 42
Is electronicgiant a good sellar on ebay. I ca get the Eclipse for 385 shipped.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1140
haha YEA...tahts where i got mine..but i got it for 375 HAHA...they sent it in PERFECT CONDITION..i highly reccomend them
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us