Need help on good power convertor...AC to DC

Username: Papasnodmx

Green Bay, Wi

Post Number: 2
my plan is to find the appropiate device to properly power my car's eletrical devices such as neon lights, LEDs and especially my sound system at outdoor and indoor shows/parties etc. We have outside parties all the time and i always use my car as the source of tunes and i hate to leave my car idle for long amounts of time. Every one sees them at Car Audio competitions, car shows like Hot Import Nights. My amps are rated at 1800watts rms and 480watts rms. don't forget i have neon lighting also. Would a battery charger work while being hooked up to the side terminals of my Optima Yellow top? My main battery terminals are ran from the battery's top posts. Please let me know...anyone?? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1913
To run your system, you'll need at least 200A power supply. You won't find a charger that's 200A.
I've seen some old ones used by amp companies like Orion/PPI. If you're lucky, you might be able to purchase one. Those will supply over 200A.
You do know that, idling car will not charge your battery right? That means your amps will be getting all if not most of its power from the battery.

Green Bay, Wi

Post Number: 4
well, i've been using my car as a music source for atleast 200+hours and haven't had any problems yet. It's either i have an awesome battery or cap or the alternator is charging. (i'm going by approximite time i have on my Alphasonik amp hour meters.) i'm an auto tech and i noticed that at the garage i work at, we have a charger that has different power options. one that caught my eye was that you can set it at 200Amp start. is that wise? I just need to know what the heck that device is called. if any of us go to car audio competions or car shows, they're lot of guys that have them.
Thanx

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1950
Cher Her, that is a car booster/charger. Every car audio shop has them. It is used to quickly charge a dead battery or start a car. Some trucks need over 100A to start. Very handy when a customer brings in a car for audio upgrade with a half dead battery.
I have one just like it, except it's 225A. It can charge a battery in about an hour.

Green Bay, Wi

Post Number: 5
isacc, yes i know it's a battery charger. but is that device suffice to power my auto system in my car while it is playing outside with motor off? The device I have has the option of 200amp start. Can i hook up the device to my car battery and starting listening to music without bad things happening to my battery and sound system? My car will be about 60 feet from the nearest outlet. and yes, the extension cord is extra thick enough for no flowage problem.

Green Bay, Wi

Post Number: 6
I just need the ability to turn house current AC into DC. to power my car's electronics.

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 659
A 200 amp 12 volt power supply is gonna be mucho dinero.

I couldn't find one, but to give you an idea of what one would cost here's an 80 amp jobber:

http://www.adleraudio.com/web/mdl/PS86KX/detail.asp

You'd be better off with a big isolated battery bank(or one big marine diesel starting battery). Four 100 amphr batteries in parallel would give you 2 hours of play time at 200 amps, but I seriously doubt your system draws anywhere near that much on average. You'd probably get at least twice that much actual use.

I don't think I'd use an isolator as there would be a big difference between that bank and your starting battery and it would put a lot of stress on your alternator for normal use. I'd use something like this instead:

http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=100 51&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=690407

Place the switch between your starting battery and your amps and charge that extra bank at home prior with a decent battery charger. However, I wouldn't advise using the "ALL" setting as you could seriously discharge or charge you starting battery if there's a big voltage difference between the two.

This is all really conjecture however. Probably would be good to find out exactly how they do it at the car shows.

-Fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us