Mono amps?

upt
Unregistered guest
What do mono amps do, and aren't they for subs?

Silver Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 798
They supply your sub with power.:-) Yes, there mainely for sub's. They are usually better because they are stable down to 1 ohm, or lower.

upt
Unregistered guest
So if I get a mono amp it will bump my subs, what are the other amps for?

Bronze Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 28
other amps have various number of channels, usually 2 or 4 channels, for component speakers, coaxals or you can bridge them to power subs.

UPT
Unregistered guest
Alright, so to power my subs I should get a mono amp. How would you bridge an amp?

Bronze Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 32
it should say on the amp, you'll hook the positive wire going to your subs to channel one's positive output and the negitive to channel two's negitive output.

not sure on 4 channel amps, but i think it'd be the same way leaving you with 2 outputs using channels 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 or 1 output using channels 1 & 4.
please correct me if i'm wrong on this

UPT
Unregistered guest
Well its all good, I'm just going to get a mono amp.

Bronze Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 34
a mono amp will be the best for subs because they can usually drop to 1 or 2 ohms and be fine where a bridged multi channel amp sometimes won't be. plus a mono amp will have a lower distortion ratio.

UPT
Unregistered guest
Hey I got 2 12 4 ohm subs, can I still use a mono amp.

WC
Unregistered guest
I think you can.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1302
Yes you can.

Bronze Member
Username: Tdbdrummer

Post Number: 82
AND HEAT RATIO!!!!!!!!!! Gotta factor in heat...don't want to make it kick off. Get one witha good fan too!

WC
Unregistered guest
I dont think is a big factor.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1332
If it "says" it can run at 1 ohms then heat shouldn't be an issue, although even though they say their stable that low they still can overheat.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
Heh, trust me heat is a factor, especially on really REALLY hot days. The only things amps have over reicevers, is that they run cooler though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
Thank you Joe.

UPT
Unregistered guest
Hey so, what are some ways of keeping an amp cool, besides buying an amp with fans.

Bronze Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 43
install where it can get the most air flow around it. you can also install fans around the amp to help. if you get a good amp, it should have a good heat management system though.

UPT
Unregistered guest
Yea that is what I was thinking if heat was going to be a factor, putting fans around the amp.

WC
Unregistered guest
Yeah thats a good idea.

Username: Shea88

Cartwright, Manitoba Canada

Post Number: 3
does any one here know a site where I can get schematics for car amps?

WC
Unregistered guest
Nope

UPT
Unregistered guest
No, but are there any other ways of keeping an amp cool?

Silver Member

Post Number: 150
Well, I guess you could rig up a liquid nitrogen cooling radiator!

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
And then with the rest of the liquid nitrogen, do what they did in Clockstoppers, and fill paint balls and shoot people while driving down the street listening to excessively loud music...that's what I'd do at least...

Username: Marines

Post Number: 2
i have 2 sony explode 10" subs model number XS-L1030 they have a rated power of 120watts max input is 400watts and they are at 4 ohms each what would be a necessary amp 4 my subs i had a clarion APA4203 2/3/&4 channel amp i took it aprt and it had a burn mark on the board next 2 the speaker output it turns on then hits 4 a while then will stop bumping but the amp light stays on and when i turn my hu off the back on it will bass 4 about 2-3 seconds then stop bumping i had it in my trunk and it had a built in fan on it but 2 be safe i added a cpu colling fan 2 it i bought from compusa and had the ground going to the ground and the positive going to the remote so when i turn my radio off the fan goes off 2 i dont know how many watts the clarion is cuz it did not say on it but it worked fine 4 a while i just dont know what is wrong with it i was woundering if anybody know what my problem is and or what amp 2 buy thank you your help is greatly needed!!!!!!!!!!1

UPT
Unregistered guest
I mean real ways of keeping and amp cool.

WC
Unregistered guest
Fans

Silver Member

Post Number: 193
Liquid nitrogen is REAL! It's just never been done, patent a way to do it, and you'll be rich and famous!

WC
Unregistered guest
Well, ANYTHING ELSE besides liquid?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us