Trying to Avoid the JL 1000/1

Username: Spydog9397

Iowa City, IA US

Post Number: 2
I am currently building a system and although I value SQ , I am mostly trying to concentrate on SPL so I was considering buying 2 12'' JL W7's and running them off of a JL 1000/1 and then another alpine 300w mono amp just to add some extra power. I then read on this site that when you power lets say 2 12'' w7 with a 1000/1 it will sound the same as 1 12'' w7 fully powered with a 1000/1. So I then decided that in order to get the most for my money I should just go with a 13W7 and a JL 1000/1 and my other alpine and power that 13 with both of my amps ( also what additional equipment do I need in order to do that and would I need a new alt. for a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee? nad how about a capacitator?) So I think that I am going to go with the 13w7 and power it with the JL 1000/1 , but I know that alot of people say the 1000/1 is over priced and that there are better amps out there for the money. In this aspect I dont want to sacrifice quality, but I would like your guy's help if you knew of any quality amps out there that would be good with what I described here. Also...did I make the right decision??

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 400
Hold on...

are you saying that you are trying to put a 300w alpine amp and the 1000/1 on the same sub, at the same time???!!???

You cant do that!

As for avoiding the 1000/1...its a good amp but IMO, its overpriced. There are many amps out there that great amps and will be less or about the same price as that 1000/1. (kx1200.1, jbl 1200.1, US amps)

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 543
try that jbl 1200.1 amp to power that 13W7. Have you considered the reXXX or Brahmas?

Iowa City, IA US

Post Number: 3
Instead of the alpine what if I used a jl 500/1?
What makes the 1000/1 so much better than the JBL??

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1556
the JL and the JBL are not even in the same class as far as I am concerned. Yes JL is overpriced but they can never be compared to JBL ever! What I would do is get 1-13w7 and run it off of a nice class a/b amp not class D especially if you are going with such a great SQ sub as the W7(just to add in my opinion the w6v2 is a better sub and much cheaper) If you really want to power a w7 nicely look into an orion HCCA 250g4 it will put 600 watts to it but it is way underrated so it would be more like 700-750 run at 1.5ohms. That would sound very very nice. When running such high class woofers people make the mistake of going with trashy class d amps and it is a waste of great sound. yes Jl amps are very nice but they wont outplay a PPI(art series ) or a Zapco,arc audio,tru technologies,Oroin HCCA or SX series, ya get my drift man. If you are going to go class D go JL it doesnt matter if they are overpriced they are one of the best class D amps you can get.!

Nick_sq
Unregistered guest
you can only run 1 amp at a time, what are you talking about " and then another alpine 300w mono amp just to add some extra power " Thats impossable! All of the amp suggestions here are good, i would try to avoid the 1000/1 and look at a different brand. Possibly orion, kicker, JBL, etc...

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1590
why would you avoid JL they make fantastic amps.

Iowa City, IA US

Post Number: 4
I decided to go with the JL 1000/1 after all. The guy at my local car audio store said I could go no other way. It was that or an orion. I got 2 1.2 farad vodoo caps to go along with it. Thanks alot for all your guy's help and suggestions. Haha the main reason James Longo...that i was trying to aviod the JL 1000/1 was because I was just excited to get my system and didnt feel like waiting longer to come up with the money and was looking for a possibly cheaper alternative without sacrificing too much quality. Of course JL amps are fantastic..JL is fantastic...... :-)
Thanks again guys!
Evan
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us