Subs Hitting Harder/more SPL and better SQ - FIND OUT HOW

Bronze Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 94
I own a 97 toyota camry and i have a Jl 12w6v2's in a jl sealed box in my trunk. It sounded tight when i first heard them then i folded the rear seats down and got the real deal sound i was looking for. They are much louder and cleaner now giving off way more SPL!! I ride alone so i just folded the rear seats down. Its a huge differance. Ill never bump them with the seats up again. Anyone else do this in there cars???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
anybody else..

Bronze Member
Username: D1slocate

Cary, NC US

Post Number: 61
Don't worry I know other people who do this. They hate giving people rides :-)

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1285
so did you still order the 13w6's? I was wondering how you wernt happy with the setup that you had. Those subs are really nice. Did you run them off the 500/1's or that PPI 400x2 that you have?

Silver Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky Usa

Post Number: 359
yea i do that in my 98 neon...its soo much more tight...but with my new setup i cant :-(

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
Hey james..whats up man..yeah went to my jl dealer and made an upgrade and they special ordered it. I should be getting them in 2 weeks from them. It cost about $300.00 more for the 13w6's and 100 for shipping. By the way i run my 12w6v2's of the ppi pcx 2200 which is 400x2@2ohms or 800x1@4ohms.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
James..i will be using my brand new JL 500/1's for the 13w6's i ordered. Just wating for them to come in. Do you suggest anyting else to go with this system. Do you think i should use my ppi pcx 2200 for anything?? If so how many preouts will i need? I also have a brand new batcap 800 stereo battery to link with the amps in the back and also ordering a 150amp alternator most likely. How does this sound. What else do you recommend to complete this system?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 98
?

Silver Member

Walton, Ky Usa

Post Number: 408
what are preouts

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1288
didnt you decide on using that Alpine amp that you have for some components? I would run the JL's and the Alpine unless you found a set of components that could be run off of the PPI but I know it was hard to find a set that matched the power of it. I went and looked into those bat-caps and they seem to be a good product. I have yet to see one or know anyone who has actually used one but from what I have read about them it looks like a good idea. you are gonna need to split your sub-out unless your radio has two sub outs. And run your Alpine or PPI off of the front puts so you will only need two sets of pre outs unless you have a dual sub out then you need to use three. That should sound really nice when you are done.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3350
Yes, people do that quite often. What competitors do is cut out part of the package tray so that the air can vent from the trunk to the cabin, you see SQ and SPL benefits from it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
I think im gonna stay with the alpine 4 channel..it does 100x2 bridged into 4 0hms at 14.4dvc. What componants should i get to match it..James or Jonathan. I dont think theres need for rear speakers after i put in the 13w6's right? Looking for a perfect match to that amp. Help out please...

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
?

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 969
Your right, you won't need rear speakers. Some people may argue that it allows rear passengers to hear the music better, but Jonathan would argue that it messes up the front sound stage. I personally don't use them, because their not even that audible when their right in the back with the subwoofer. As for what components shoudl you get... What's your budget? I really don't know much about component sets, maybe somebody in here that is more of a sq freak can help you.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3356
Personally, I don't use rear speakers as it tends to screw up the imaging and sound quality. Best thing for rear fill if you use it is to use only a midbass driver and use a bandpass filter from around 150hz-2khz (or lower like 100hz-500hz). It will simply add a touch of ambience in a realistic frequency range, remember that the premise is to simulate reflections off the back walls of an auditorium, and the wavelengths of high frequencies (tweeters) are shorter and in an auditorium wouldn't reflect, thus it will not be realistic. Those midbass drivers can't really simulate the time delay that a real world location would have, either. Anyway, rear speakers interfere with acoustic phase of the front since the pathlengths are different from each speaker to your ears. It results in cancellation and peaks and dips in your frequency response that is hard to get out even with the best equalizers. I don't really buy into adding a driver that is supposed to simulate reflections, as reflections are the whole enemy of car audio in general. Your car is made of metal, plastic (or fiberglass), and has glass all the way around, plus it's in a smaller cabin, so really with a powerful front stage you'll get reflections from all directions, no need to add drivers that contribute even more. All cars are full of resonant panels that add unwanted reflections, that's why it's so hard to make a car image good, plus the fact that you're closest to the left speaker. It's also the reason competitors add huge amounts of sound deadening, tint their windows, and try to keep the drivers as far away from resonant panels as possible. As for components, just like said above, totally dependant on your price range.

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 437
jonathon...you really know nothing lol...do you think i should take out my back speakers then and just put like covers or somen over them...and then like upgrade my front two...and if i do..what do you think with

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3358
There are plenty of people that simply take out the rear speakers and use those holes to vent air from the trunk to the cabin, you'll be surprised at the SQ/SPL difference from the subs. And yes, I'd dedicate all my funds to upgrading the front speakers to a high quality component set, and really I'll need to know an approximate price before I can help you with that.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 982
Subfanatic, I can vouch for the spl/sq gain from taking the rear speakers out and cutting holes to vent the air. I would cut bigger holes, but I don't want it to look messy or dumb.

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 440
ok thank you jonathon lol...ill give you a price later lol...im dedicating everything to my trunk right now haha...well i might just cut 2 6 by 9's in that panel..but the problem is..that panel in my car is like this weird like thick really flimsy stuff..idk

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
ok guys my budget for componants is around $230.00. Need 5.25" set. Probably will use my alpine mrp-f240. 100x2 RMS bridged into 4 ohms at 14.4dvc. Whats the best bet?

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 446
haha i love it..this thread has absolutly nothing to do with the title anymore haha

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
what should i go with?

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
????????

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1331
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=12430 that is a very nice set and would work out perfect with your application. Lok into Focal,Boston Acoustic(my favorite), JL audio VR line,Infinity Kappa,Polk,Mbquart,A lower line of A/D/S/ would be nice. You have so many options and with 100 watts your options are endless. Thats a perfect amount of power for most component systems.

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
Thanks james..good looking. I have bought my jl 500/1's from that site. So out of those you listed the diamonds whould work best..i never heard of diamond audio so im asking.

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
What you guys think about this diamond audio M651 set. http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=12430 I will be running it off that 4 channel alpine mrp-f240 100x2 rms bridged into 4 ohms. Its gonna be used for mostly rap and rock and electronica. Thats my application. thanks for the help so far james.

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
James hook it up with the info..im deciding between the Diamond audio set and the jl xr set

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1247
just be patient man, lol

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1519
Sorry Mo, good looking Joe! Ok this is what I would do. Those Diamonds are fantastic speakers and I highly recomend them. I have owned the JL xr's and they sound very nice as well but tend to be a little more expensive and they arnt as good as the diamonds. I would jump all over that deal if I were you. as a matter of fact I think I might get a pair myself:-)

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1267
Do you have the magical ability to just pull money out of your @ss James? Seems like your trying stuff all the time.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1522
its the beauty of working my a$$ of I guess it has some rewards. I am a lot older then you man you will be able to do it one day to. especially with your SAT scores that you talk about:-)

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1269
HA. Yeah, I know your older, with a job, and money, lol. Who said your a lot older than me though? For all you know I could have failed a few grades. Haven't you ever heard of the 7 year freshman?

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1525
yeah I had a few friends who were of that status! lol

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1028
james is like 30. he remembers when the hcca first came out dont you james. :-)
i think youll have a magical as.s too joe. i ujust hope it cant make things disappear.....:-(

well it might be fun

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1273
You speak from experience?

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1529
hahahahahahaha! actually I used to sell Orion sh!t when I was in high school. I worked at a local audio store. That was back when the Orion XTR and 2150 and 2250sx amps where the SHIZNIT!

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1274
Ok grandpa.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1531
and no I'm not 30 FU$KER! lol!

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1276
I wish I could get a job at a car audio store or something. Unless you dealt the Orion amps out of the back of your van along with the crack.

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1030
hey james no......dont judge me. dont knocjk it till you try it. :-) lol. how old are you james 35? that stuff came out like 1990. i could see him dealing crack...."um ya its good for you, it raises your metabolizm so you lose weight fast. humm what side affects no....not to many.....but its kinda like caffiene you may get addicted, but not fast though, trust me...i sell orion stuff too, huh? an amp and some crack for a bj? sure, billy." :-) y9our a sick sick f*cker you know that james. but i still love you..my lil sugarp*ssy

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1279
Well, I've had my laugh for the night and I'm going to bed now.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1532
hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahaha that was some funny sh!t man. Did your mom drop you on your head when you were younger thats how you think up this sh!t? I wish I could cause dude you make me laugh so hard sometimes I litterally almost fall out of my chair and my wife thinks I am retarted!

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1032
boo.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1281
I know. I think their funnier when your sleepy, but still...

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1036
hey joe. no they are funny all the god damn time god damn it. lets hear a joke joe. come on one? i was never dropped on my head but i did eat paint chips and live under powerlines and run in the highway with scissors.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1283
aaaahaha.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1284
You can say damn in this place but not phart by the way?

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1038
yep gotta love it damn it. i love you :-)

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1285
At least somebody loves me...

Well, it's about midnight here in retarted Michigan, so I'm heading off. Hopefully Chad gets back with me tomorrow and I can try to get a 250g4. You better be right about this goddamn damn Avalanche James, or I'm gonna hunt you down...

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1539
hahahahahha you guys kill me. I am going to bed! good night F'ers

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1540
dude you will be loving me once you get it so hunter how do you feel about that? I am gonna steal him right from your arms biotch! lol!

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1041
i should have never told anyone here about them damn it, oh well....lol. i guess the gold trio of death and mo.lest is broken...:-( for the night

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1544
well I am glad you did tell people about them cause I am soooo damn happy wiht it bro. alright for real I am going to bed. later

Silver Member
Username: Slap_johnson

Arizona

Post Number: 128
go to sound domain, theres a ton of reviews on the atlas and avalanche

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1300
We already know their good, James has an Avalanche.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us